Looking for general advice on roms, recovery, etc. for Optimus V (old version)

znap

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
OK, I am looking for a rom that is lean, fast, but capable. There are so many roms and recovery images and most of the tutorials and suggestions are from 2011/2012(at latest). So, I have a couple questions:

1) What version of Android should I stick with or upgrade to - I am currently running 2.2.1?
2) What rom will best suit the needs I have listed above?
3) Also, which recover image to go with that rom.

I guess I was looking at the MiRaGe cm7.2 but have no idea if there is anything better out there.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
OK, I am looking for a rom that is lean, fast, but capable. There are so many roms and recovery images and most of the tutorials and suggestions are from 2011/2012(at latest). So, I have a couple questions:

1) What version of Android should I stick with or upgrade to - I am currently running 2.2.1?

I guess I was looking at the MiRaGe cm7.2 but have no idea if there is anything better out there.

Welcome to the forums!
For the most part you are limited to who has developed something for your device. I am guessing that the CM7 ROM you found is based on ICS, which at least is a couple steps up from Froyo.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Good job doing the reading first. So many people don't and end up with problems.

MiRaGe is a great gb rom. It is fast and smooth, and everything works. In general, that is what you will find with the gb roms. If you need things like native wifi tethering, you will have to stick with gb.

There are great roms based on ics as well. Check out theKraven's Cold as Ice rom. Everything works except native tethering. It was made for the optimus S, so you need to flash a patch to run it on the v. It's over in the S forums, and the patch is attached to the first post. theKraven's jb roms are great, but they might have an extra bug or two like bluetooth problems.

As far as recoveries, I love TWRP, though I have had one thing I couldn't flash with it. The interface is great, I love naming my backups, and it has flashed 99.99% of what I have thrown at it. That is also over in the S forums, but will run on the V as-is. For an absolute rock solid recovery I recommend the Zengarden recovery, here in the V forum. 100% reliable in my experience, good interface, some great extra features like a one click wipe for new roms or rom updates.

znap

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I also just saw Quattrimus ICS which runs Android 4.0 on the Optimus V. Does anyone know how speed and stability are affected by making that switch to 4.0 on this phone?

Guess I'm not sure whether to upgrade to the newest Android I can.

upconvert

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I also just saw Quattrimus ICS which runs Android 4.0 on the Optimus V. Does anyone know how speed and stability are affected by making that switch to 4.0 on this phone?

Guess I'm not sure whether to upgrade to the newest Android I can.

Quattrimus wasn't ever really finished. It runs ok, but has some bugs. The most important thing to run any ics rom on the V is to set the processor speeds to 480 min and 600 max. If you leave the min at 280 you will probably get some random reboots. You may be able to set the max higher, but that depends on your specific phone. If you want ICS, Cold as Ice is the way to go. It has had about a year's worth of bug fixs and improvement by theKraven that quatt and Bobzhome's cm9 never got.

znap

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
OK, thanks, got things up to the point of rom install, but it has taken at least 30 minutes by now, if not 45. How long should it take?

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, thanks, got things up to the point of rom install, but it has taken at least 30 minutes by now, if not 45. How long should it take?

Flashing a rom is quick. What rom and recovery? And what part is it stuck on?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

znap

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Flashing a rom is quick. What rom and recovery? And what part is it stuck on?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2
I actually reinstalled it and it worked fine. The first try took a few hours and then said it was done in the recovery menu with the Android bot, but it would only boot into recovery.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781