how do i use mount2sd to mount my cache to the sd card?

qt3dot14

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
hello. im kind of new to this so be patient.

i have an optimus v virgin mobile phone. the phone is excellent except for the small internal memory and cache sizes.

i tried to use link2sd to get my apps to install on the sd card because i was running out of room on the internal memory. i couldnt really seem to get it to work as my internal memory just filled up after installing a couple of more apps.

so then i tried to use mount2sd to solve the internal memory issue. i installed mount2sd WITHOUT uninstalling link2sd. when i rebooted the phone it seems that many apps were actually moved to the sd-ext. i say "seems" because my internal memory now has quite a bit of room but i cant seem to find any way to actually view the contents of the sd-ext. if anyone knows how to actually view the contents of the sd-ext partition i would be so grateful if you could clue me in on that.

i dont know if mount2sd itself fixed my sd-ext problem or worked in conjunction with link2sd to move the apps to the sd-ext.

but my real issue now is that even though i now have sufficient internal memory to download/update apps i still keep getting the demonic "invalid package file" or "error 498" etc. messages when trying to install/update apps. (i take it that these error messages are akin to the windown bsod.)

when i view the storage statistics in mount2sd it shows "cache 110.05 Mb of 110.13Mb". i am assuming at this point that i cannot install/update apps because my cache is completely full.

this seems like a problem that mount2sd should be able to solve for me. can anyone explain in easy-to-understand verbage and detail whether or not this issue can be solved with the mount2sd app, and if so, how? i dont want to go randomly pushing buttons in the mount2sd app and screw up my phone.

i tried to go to the xda site via a androidcentral link but that post was 232 pages long and was mostly high-tech developer jargon. im not a complete noob but im certainly not a developer. im just looking for some practical info on how to create/mount a cache partition on my sd card so that my cache file size is large enough to keep my phone usable.

thanx in advance for any help.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Try reading this:
[Guide] Link2SD: A Tutorial- New and Updated
Also you would be well advised to install the ZenGarden recovery as it will allow you to convert the ext.3 formatted partition to ext.4 format without ever having to take sd card out of the phone. I can switch back and forth and it doesn't mess with my larger FAT32 partition.

Need more info, just ask. Better to be sure than sorry.

What ROM and recovery do you now have installed?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

qt3dot14

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Try reading this:
[Guide] Link2SD: A Tutorial- New and Updated
Also you would be well advised to install the ZenGarden recovery as it will allow you to convert the ext.3 formatted partition to ext.4 format without ever having to take sd card out of the phone. I can switch back and forth and it doesn't mess with my larger FAT32 partition.

Need more info, just ask. Better to be sure than sorry.

What ROM and recovery do you now have installed?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

thanx for the info. i went over and read the tutorial and im excited to try the process.

i actually have zengarden already installed. i have the harmonia rom currently installed. after reading the tutorial i think i would like to install the mirage rom. i searched here but didnt find a download link. any chance you could post that link here?

also a few more questions:

1. you said you have over 100 apps installed on your phone. has the vm670 small cache size ever been a factor for you? depending on your answer to that question, does link2sd solve that problem or have you done something else to combat the small cache size issue that is haunting me? (im assuming that this is why im getting the "package file invalid" error message)

2. what ext format should i use with the harmonia rom? what ext format should i use if i switch to mirage rom? how would i know which ext format to use (without asking you of course!)? i guess what im asking is how can i tell which ext format should i use for any particular rom? how would i research this, for future reference?

i really appreciate your help and your tutorial was excellently documented. one could only hope that all tutorials were as comprehensive and illustrative!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The MiRaGe ROM is right here in this sub-forum. Just scroll down to find it.
I'm pretty sure the tutorial I made gives you the information on what format to use. If the Harmonia ROM is version 1.9 then it is a Froyo ROM. Use the FAT32 format.
If it's 2.0 and above (2.09 is the latest) then it's a IHO CM-7 Gingerbread ROM. Use the ext.4 format.

Personally I would flash the MiRaGe ROM first. Don't put anything on it but the Link2SD app, Titanium Backup, and Root Uninstaller (or AppTyrant). Then go into the ZenGarden recovery and make the partition. Once done follow the rest of the tutorial.

qt3dot14

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
it will be a week or so before i can flash the mirage rom and install and configure link2sd. i really appreciate your help and ill post back with the results.