Porting TouchWhiz 5.0

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been working on porting TouchWhiz 5.0 from the Galaxy S4 to our V.
Here are a few updated screen shots with the TouchWhiz launcher and theme:

Screenshot_2013-09-25-20-17-57.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-20-15-21.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-21-50.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-22-02.png

Screenshot_2013-10-15-00-13-36.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-43-59.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-39-14.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-29-35.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-23-55.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-23-39.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-24-08.png

Screenshot_2013-09-25-17-24-22.png

I still had to use T-Swipe Pro with the IPhone theme to get as close to the S4 keyboard look as I could. You will have to download it from the PlayStore.

With the entropy script it's as smooth as anything else out there though, even with low RAM.

Okie Dokie. Here is the link to the thread in the S forum: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/318457-rom-mod-theme-bean_whiz.html

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

_alexkta

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Somebody on these forums got the touchwiz launcher on one of their ported ROMs, clodfeltrac i think his username was... Anyways ill see if i can find a link to his ROM to see if that helps

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey Andy, this would be pretty cool but, isn't the launcher only compatible with arm v7 processors?

Just found this, don't know if it will help. SKYTECH: Install Galaxy S4 TouchWiz launcher on any Android phone
Thanks for the link. I have Googled this for a while. Just goes to show that two heads are better than one, and a whole forum of members is out of this world.

Little snag: I think I have something wrong my micro SD . Might have a little corruption on it. I tried to flash a ClockworkMod recovery (Bob Zohmes and the TouchScreen recovery's) and got an error writing to block.
I still have a ROM, just no recovery image??????
Might have to wipe/format the whole micro SD card.
At least I backed up the current contents just before my ROM porting experiment.
Think I will try to see if I can backup the contents of the ext.4 partition as well? It shouldn't have any corruption, but should allow me to use my current downloaded apps in my current ROM "ThE_UlTrrimus_TouchWiz" (did not mispell or mistype name). Host ROM is Quattrimus so all my downloaded apps went to the ext.4 partition.

I did open up the downloaded TouchWhiz.zip and put it's contents in the ROM.zip where they needed to go. Just thought I would put zip on sd card first to see if it would flash from recovery (has to be a ClockworkMod recovery).

Good thing I found out about the sd card now and not when I was doing something even crazier.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Cool name for your Rom, i like the sound of that ,and good luck with your sd card, like you said good thing you caught it early.

I thought i read that you could use the twrp recovery or ClockworkMod. recovery for Touchwiz.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The problem actually started (unbeknownst to me) when I downloaded and installed the SuperSU app ,and then upgraded to the su binaries that are needed for it.
I needed to use a ClockworkMod recovery (as per dev instructions) to flash the hacked TouchWhiz launcher.
When I went to flash a recovery (BobZohmes version), I got a write error leaving me with now good recovery on the recovery partition. Tried again, but with the Touch Screen recovery. Then I got a out of memory error in each block, with an error code at the bottom of -1.

The terminal emulator has root, apps have root, but no root from a terminal on computer (tried in Windows and Xubuntu). This is because the TouchWhiz port had a Root Access option in the developers section who's default is " Apps Only". I had already picked the "Apps and ADB" option. Don't know if this problem is a part of the incompatibility with the Super SU binaries, or the ROM port itself.

Have suspended all work on the port until positive my adb problem was not caused by the actually port.

First I need to fix my recovery partition or, at worst, use sammyz's KDZ unbrick guide, then start all over. At least I saved my Nandroid backups of all my ROMs and ROM port to the computer.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
None of the TouchWhiz 5,0 launchers work in any CM9 ROM.

Just tried the CM10 JBC ROM with the Test 80 Kernel from bigsupersquid. The theme and launcher work, just a little qlitchy.

There's a TouchWhiz theme for CM7 as well, but can't find a TouchWhiz 5,0 launcher.

It seems like the CM10 ROM seems like the best way to go.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I finally got the TouchWhiz 5.0 theme to work in the "ThE_UlTiMaTe_COLD_Whiz" so I don't have to use the "ThE_UlTrrimus_TouchWhiz" (it had problems with voice search at the very least). I am now using the CAI ROM for the base instead of the Quattrimus ROM for the CM9 version.
I think I will try to make a version in CM10 and CM9. Both base ROM are from thekraven by the way.
The CM10 version is the "The TouchWhiz_JBC".

Need to figure out how to make the TouchWhiz launcher in the CM10 ROM bullet proof. It's way to glitchy.
Need to figure out how to get the TouchWhiz launcher to work in the CM9 version.
Other than that I need to find a keyboard for the system keyboard that will allow for a Galaxy Slll or S4 theme.

badblue1_ : thanks for the launcher links.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Alllriiight!
I had totally forgotten about the SlimRom so I tried the TouchWhiz theme and the launcher elements using it as the host. 100% success!
In order to get the Voice Search app to work I had to drop back to the old Voice Search app found in the 20120511 Gapps. If Voice Search is not needed then the regular SlimRom Gapps work fine.

I am seeing if it can be posted in the SlimRom thread as it is just a mod of the SlimRom which is a port of the SlimBean ROM.
Everything in the SlimRom thread for the current version works with the mod. This includes the Virgin Fix.

The name (because it is a TouchWhiz 5.0 theme in a SlimBean ROM) of the modded SlimRom is"BeanWhiz".

Will let everybody know how it goes after I get word from thekraven.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
thekraven has no problem with me starting a new thread.
Since the Bean_Whiz ROM is actually an S ROM then I will post it over there. It uses the SlimRom Gapps (need the 20120511 for voice search to work) and fixes (including the Virgin fix). I will leave links to it in the first post of this thread as well as updated pics of the ROM as soon as I can get the ROM uploaded to Mediafire.
My WiFi here is so slow I can't upload anything so I will have to put the ROM.zip on the phones sd card and go to a faster WiFi source. Might be a day or two before this can happen so check the first post every now and again or the S forum.

badblue1__

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
OK. ROM link is now in the first post. Enjoy.

Congratulations on your rom Andy!
Huge THANK YOU for all your hard work, i certainly appreciate it.

Can't wait to get to a wifi hotspot to download. :)

EDIT : Congratulations on your themed and modification of a rom, well done .:cool:

Last edited: