"Package File Is Invalid" - Neverending nightmare

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It has come to my attention that Google put out a fix for this horrible error, and my best attempts to fix it have failed miserably.

Unfortunately, this time I did it to myself, since I uninstalled the Google Play Services to free up space, and... Google Play isn't updating now. Welp. My error.

I am trying to follow this solution, since it's a very similar situation, even down to the available space:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...149014-solved-error-package-file-invalid.html

I just don't have a jerryscript, to my knowledge. I am running Mirage build GWK74 on a CyanogenMod 7.2; kernel version 2.6.32.9 on a V5 baseband. It's rooted, obviously, and I want it to stay that way. But with this problem, I don't know what to do - it's not letting me install anything that's over 1MB in size. I've managed to get several tiny apps, but the rest of them...

So that's the problem. I have the "Package File Is Invalid" error even for a 4.3.11 Google Play APK OR the Google Play Services APK - because Total Commander as well as another APK Installer both won't let me install the application. I have tried everything I could think of or find - wiping the dalvik cache in Recovery, trying to move it with the Cache Fixer app, attempting via 3G, trying to force an install via ADB... and nothing is working or even coming close to it.

I don't have Link2SD because of this very error and am trying to get it to fix it. I have Titanium Backup installed, but Root Uninstaller keeps getting the damn error.

From what I gather, there are only a few options left:
1) Put up with this until I can buy a new phone
2) Move as much data as possible to Titanium or the SD card and attempt a factory reset
3) ??????

Yeah... I'm hoping that "??????" works out for me. If you have any ideas, I would really appreciate them. Thank you in advance!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried going into your recovery and wiping the cache partition and the dalvik cache?
You might also need to wipe your thumbnail and tombstone cache.
Doing a factory reset by using the "wipe data/factory reset" option in the recovery would not be such a bad idea, but it will wipe all user data (The ROM will look just like it did when you first flashed it with nothing installed by you and no contacts).

First things first though. Do you have the phone in USB Debuging mode? Do you have the Java JDK and the Android SDK on your computer, with the path to the Android SDK's adb.exe in your computers environmental variables?

The reason I ask is the above will allow you to install apps using the adb.exe.
Simply plug in the phone to your computer (you have to have the LG USB drivers for the V installed first). Put the .apk into the platform-tools folder. Open up a terminal in that folder and type in:
Code:
adb install <full name of apk>

If you need a few .apk's I might have what you need already in my Root Uninstaller folder on my sd card. Could upload to my Box account for you to download.

Link2SD and more, including Root Uninstaller and AppTyrant- same Dev, but AppTyrant was developed for non-rooted phones (works well on rooted phones)

Let me know what you need.

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Doing a factory reset by using the "wipe data/factory reset" option in the recovery would be a good idea.
First things first though. Do you have the phone in USB Debuging mode? Do you have the Java JDK and the Android SDK on your computer, with the path to the Android SDK's adb.exe in your computers environmental variables?

The reason I ask is the above will allow you to install apps using the adb.exe.
Simply plug in the phone to your computer (you have to have the LG USB drivers for the V installed first). Put the .apk into the platform-tools folder. Open up a terminal in that folder and type in:
Code:
adb install <full name of apk>

If you need a few .apk's I might have what you need already in my Root Uninstaller folder on my sd card. Could upload to my Box account for you to download.

Link2SD and more, including Root Uninstaller and AppTyrant- same Dev, but AppTyrant was developed for non-rooted phones (works well on rooted phones)

Let me know what you need.
USB Debug always.

I know I have the drivers, and I think I have the Java JDK installed from when I had my last issue. I know I have the SDK and have used ADB. There might be an issue with the way I was trying to force it? Hmm, the platform-tools folder... that might be what I was missing.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platfo
rm-tools>adb install gp_services_3.2.25.apk
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
1554 KB/s (7649893 bytes in 4.807s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/gp_services_3.2.25.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platfo
rm-tools>adb install -r google-play4_3_11.apk
1485 KB/s (6038575 bytes in 3.970s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/google-play4_3_11.apk

...that did not work. Is... something wrong with my phone? Was I not supposed to do the -r to overwrite Google Play itself? Should I put a list of the apps I have on it and whatnot or something so we can get to the bottom of this? Should I maybe try to uninstall the Google Play updates to make it vanilla Android Market? I'm running out of ideas that would avoid a factory reset. I don't wanna lose all the hard work I put in to rooting and hacking this - trust me, that was... quite the adventure.

And thanks, I appreciate your help - I might need some of those APKs later, provided I can find a way to install 'em. If forcing an install via ADB isn't going to work... what will?

(FYI: I gotta go for a few hours, but I will be back)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The exact full name of the Google Play services apk I have is:
com.google.android.gms_3.2.25(761454-12).apk
I'm not sure where you got your .apk from, but in order for you to install it from your computer you will need the one that's spelled out exactly like the one I have. This is the .apk you need to install from the computer. Anything else will not install from the computer using adb.

This is why I have Root Uninstaller. It's not the best uninstaller (Link2SD is the best), but it saves all downloaded .apks to a folder on the sd card. These are the .apks you can use with adb.

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
The exact full name of the Google Play services apk I have is:
com.google.android.gms_3.2.25(761454-12).apk
I'm not sure where you got your .apk from, but in order for you to install it from your computer you will need the one that's spelled out exactly like the one I have. This is the .apk you need to install from the computer. Anything else will not install from the computer using adb.

This is why I have Root Uninstaller. It's not the best uninstaller (Link2SD is the best), but it saves all downloaded .apks to a folder on the sd card. These are the .apks you can use with adb.

I believe this is the one I downloaded. I renamed the file due to not having any success - I thought that renaming could be a solution (it has been for other things in my experience). However, I didn't have a legit attempt with ADB - only one where I didn't know what I was doing - so no matter what, it's worth a try. I found one (it has a "3225112" in the middle, but otherwise is a match), so let's see...

Code:

rm-tools>adb install com.google.android.gms-3225112-v3.2.25(761454-12).apk
757 KB/s (7439775 bytes in 9.586s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.google.android.gms-3225112-v3.2.25(761454-12).a
pk

.....................................................................................................................

This is so annoying. Am I doing something wrong here? Was that not the right APK? I'm so confused.

Based on your FAQ, I need Root Uninstaller to set up the partitions for Link2SD. I already have Link2SD installed, but it's not set up because it won't let me install Root Uninstaller.

As much as I want to avoid it, I am starting to think factory reset... unfortunately. But will that even help? Is there no other option? I had issues with my last Optimus V that I exchanged for this one... and this is getting old. :/

I appreciate all of your help regardless!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I know the version I have works on the LG Optimus V.
Let me upload to my box account so you can try it. If that one doesn't install, then you will need to do a factory reset (wipe data/factory reset) from the recovery, or just re-flash the ROM and Gapps.

EDIT. OK! Go here: https://app.box.com/s/0wmoymj4q10lgzqcvqce
md5 sum is in comment. Once you download check the md5 sum. If good unzip. The apk will be in the folder.

Last edited:

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I know the version I have works on the LG Optimus V.
Let me upload to my box account so you can try it. If that one doesn't install, then you will need to do a factory reset (wipe data/factory reset) from the recovery, or just re-flash the ROM and Gapps.

EDIT. OK! Go here: https://app.box.com/s/0wmoymj4q10lgzqcvqce
md5 sum is in comment. Once you download check the md5 sum. If good unzip. The apk will be in the folder.

Okay, here we go...

Code:

rm-tools>adb install com.google.android.gms_3.2.25(761454-12).apk
868 KB/s (7439775 bytes in 8.365s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.google.android.gms_3.2.25(761454-12).apk

Ugh, this again. I'm getting sick of this.

So, I want to avoid a factory reset and losing all my data AGAIN after I've tried to get it back since my last phone incident (when I bought MyBackup because the SD card reader was broken and Titanium wouldn't work). Would reflashing the ROM and Gapps (perhaps a different Gapps than the 20110828 I have?) solve the problem and keep my data? Is there a way to flash the updated Google Play the way I'd flash Gapps? What about reflashing just Gapps?

I am hoping we can resolve this - thank you again for everything :)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you have your adb set up properly?
When you open up a command prompt (don't open it in the platform-tools folder) and type in:
Code:
adb devices
Do you get a serial number listed or a " command adb not found" or "device not listed"

There is now way to flash the Gapps without first wiping the ROM. If you just wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache (this is how you upgrade without loosing data) then install the Gapps, it won't be pretty. You will slowly start to have glitches and then fc's because you are installing a system app on top of an existing system app.

Do you have the Java 6 or the 7? You need the last version of the Java JDK ( jdk1.6.0_45) installed. Then you need to put the path to the java.exe into the environmental variables, but you need to put it into the "class path". Should be at the top of the list of choices in the environmental variables little scroll box.
Delete the old class path first. Then put in the new path.
Example:
"C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_45/bin"
Make sure you put the " before and after.

You can find the jdk1.6.0_45 in Oracles Archives section. Just look for the one with the 45 on the end (it's not spelled quite the same on their site. Make sure you get the one for your computer. Mine is a 32 bit so I got the x86. If you have a 64 bit, then get the 64

EDIT: You could try and go to menu/settings/applications/all. pick the PlayStore app. Delete cache and data. This will take you back to the original app that you saw when you first flashed the ROM. What happens when you open up the YouTube App? Does it ask you to install Google Play Services?
In case you have a hard time tracking the JDK down: Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 6
You will need the Java SE Development Kit 6u45.

Last edited:

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure you have your adb set up properly?
When you open up a command prompt (don't open it in the platform-tools folder) and type in:
Code:
adb devices
Do you get a serial number listed or a " command adb not found" or "device not listed"

There is now way to flash the Gapps without first wiping the ROM. If you just wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache (this is how you upgrade without loosing data) then install the Gapps, it won't be pretty. You will slowly start to have glitches and then fc's because you are installing a system app on top of an existing system app.

Do you have the Java 6 or the 7? You need the last version of the Java JDK ( jdk1.6.0_45) installed. Then you need to put the path to the java.exe into the environmental variables, but you need to put it into the "class path". Should be at the top of the list of choices in the environmental variables little scroll box.
Delete the old class path first. Then put in the new path.
Example:
"C:/Program Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_45/bin"
Make sure you put the " before and after.

You can find the jdk1.6.0_45 in Oracles Archives section. Just look for the one with the 45 on the end (it's not spelled quite the same on their site. Make sure you get the one for your computer. Mine is a 32 bit so I got the x86. If you have a 64 bit, then get the 64

EDIT: You could try and go to menu/settings/applications/all. pick the PlayStore app. Delete cache and data. This will take you back to the original app that you saw when you first flashed the ROM. What happens when you open up the YouTube App? Does it ask you to install Google Play Services?
In case you have a hard time tracking the JDK down: Java Archive Downloads - Java SE 6
You will need the Java SE Development Kit 6u45.

This is the one I installed - I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.:
Java SE Downloads

And this is where it seems to be and look like:
http://i.imgur.com/3L3EaEy.png

What's odd is that the exact same filepath exists in the Program Files (x86) directory... is that potentially an issue? Maybe I downloaded them both because one didn't work. I don't remember that detail.

It looks different than the one you linked me to, so I'll give that a whirl. Thank you!

As for the environment variables... I am confused. I don't see a "class path" in the scroll box - "ComSpec" is the top one. I do see a "PATH" that is set to this... confusing state of affairs:
Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x64;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\

Not changing that, doesn't seem right to. I found this:
PATH and CLASSPATH (The Java? Tutorials > Essential Classes > The Platform Environment)

And it says Setting the CLASSPATH can be tricky and should be performed with care. This is concerning.

I executed the commands and got:
Code:

C:\>echo %CLASSPATH%
%CLASSPATH%

C:\>

Which is an error by what's on the Oracle sheet.

With what I am gathering, I should create a new field called "CLASSPATH" and set it to the JDK 6. Because this should be handled with care, I need to make certain: Is this correct? I don't want to mess up my computer and go through further headaches.

I have deleted the cache and data of the Play Store multiple times. I don't have the YouTube app installed. It must not have come with the Gapps I had. Gmail, however, works perfectly fine with absolutely no issues, if that means anything. Should I try uninstalling the Google Play updates to take it back to Android Market? Or is that unnecessary?

Again, thank you for all your help - I appreciate it :)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't see the path to the adb.exe in the "path"?
ADB wont work until this is set.

PS: I wouldn't have you do anything I haven't already done. I have an old Windows XP, I like it's simplicity and will not change, besides I usually do everything in my Xubuntu OS but most LG utilities wont run in a Linux OS, so I have to have a Windows OS (only 28GB partition). If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even have a Windows OS on the computer.

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Wait. I am confused... aren't "CROSSPATH" and "PATH" different things? So... should I add the ADB path to the "PATH" stuff or create a new "CROSSPATH" one?

I don't really know Linux - this Android stuff is my first endeavor into that kind of thing, so I'm kind of a newbie at it. I appreciate all the help :)

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You need to put it in the "path" to the adb.exe. Make sure you put a ; first. Then put in the path to the adb.exe.
Make sure you have USB Debugging turned on in your phones settings (menu/applications/development- check the box).

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay, so I have this for Java:
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_45\bin

And this for ADB:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130522\sdk\platform-tools

I am confusing myself, most likely, but which do I put where? Sorry, been a rough weekend.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You path to the adb.exe should look like this:
C:/SDK/platform-tools.
In other words, the SDK folder should be on the root of the C: drive.
If not, it needs to be put there.

If you want, delete every instance of that one and try this one: https://app.box.com/s/stqwz15yr4qgmcrj257h
I've added a readme text to help with the install and setting the path.

Try the EnvSET first. This is designed to set the path for you.
Doesn't work all the time, if not you will then need to input the path manually.

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay, many apologies for the delay. I've had to deal with an ear infection and some malware on my computer. Life sure doesn't like me right now...

I moved the SDK folder and set the path to that manually (the C:\SDK\platform-tools\ in the environmental variables, I mean). I tried downloading your SDK, but got one of these:
http://www.biztechday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Out-of-Bandwidth.PNG

Which means that's a dead option for now :/

I tried to fire up ADB:
Code:

C:\sdk\platform-tools>adb
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

-d                            - directs command to the only connected USB devic
e
                                 returns an error if more than one USB device is
 present.
 -e                            - directs command to the only running emulator.
                                 returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
 -s <specific device>          - directs command to the device or emulator with
the given
                                 serial number or qualifier. Overrides ANDROID_S
ERIAL
                                 environment variable.
 -p <product name or path>     - simple product name like 'sooner', or
                                 a relative/absolute path to a product
                                 out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
                                 be an absolute path.
 devices [-l]                  - list all connected devices
                                 ('-l' will also list device qualifiers)
 connect <host>[:<port>]       - connect to a device via TCP/IP
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
 disconnect [<host>[:<port>]]  - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
                                 Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
                                 Using this command with no additional arguments

will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devic
es.

device commands:
  adb push <local> <remote>    - copy file/dir to device
  adb pull <remote> [<local>]  - copy file/dir from device
  adb sync [ <directory> ]     - copy host->device only if changed
                                 (-l means list but don't copy)
                                 (see 'adb help all')
  adb shell                    - run remote shell interactively
  adb shell <command>          - run remote shell command
  adb emu <command>            - run emulator console command
  adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
  adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
                                 forward specs are one of:
                                   tcp:<port>
                                   localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
                                   localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
                                   dev:<character device name>
                                   jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
  adb jdwp                     - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] [--algo <algorithm name> --key <hex-encoded key> --
iv <hex-encoded iv>] <file>
                               - push this package file to the device and instal
l it
                                 ('-l' means forward-lock the app)
                                 ('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
)
                                 ('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
                                 ('--algo', '--key', and '--iv' mean the file is
 encrypted already)
  adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
                                 ('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
)
  adb bugreport                - return all information from the device
                                 that should be included in a bug report.

adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-shared|-noshared] [-all] [-system|-nosy
stem] [<packages...>]
                               - write an archive of the device's data to <file>
                                 If no -f option is supplied then the data is wr
itten
                                 to "backup.ab" in the current directory.
                                 (-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks
 themselves
                                    in the archive; the default is noapk.)
                                 (-shared|-noshared enable/disable backup of the
 device's
                                    shared storage / SD card contents; the defau
lt is noshared.)
                                 (-all means to back up all installed applicatio
ns)
                                 (-system|-nosystem toggles whether -all automat
ically includes
                                    system applications; the default is to inclu
de system apps)
                                 (<packages...> is the list of applications to b
e backed up.  If
                                    the -all or -shared flags are passed, then t
he package
                                    list is optional.  Applications explicitly g
iven on the
                                    command line will be included even if -nosys
tem would
                                    ordinarily cause them to be omitted.)

adb restore <file>           - restore device contents from the <file> backup
archive

adb help                     - show this help message
  adb version                  - show version num

scripting:
  adb wait-for-device          - block until device is online
  adb start-server             - ensure that there is a server running
  adb kill-server              - kill the server if it is running
  adb get-state                - prints: offline | bootloader | device
  adb get-serialno             - prints: <serial-number>
  adb get-devpath              - prints: <device-path>
  adb status-window            - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
  adb remount                  - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
  adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
  adb reboot-bootloader        - reboots the device into the bootloader
  adb root                     - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
  adb usb                      - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
  adb tcpip <port>             - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
e specified port
networking:
  adb ppp <tty> [parameters]   - Run PPP over USB.
 Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
 <tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
 [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
  <localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
    is updated.

environmental variables:
  ADB_TRACE                    - Print debug information. A comma separated list
 of the following values
                                 1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync
, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
  ANDROID_SERIAL               - The serial number to connect to. -s takes prior
ity over this if given.
  ANDROID_LOG_TAGS             - When used with the logcat option, only these de
bug tags are printed.

If anything looks out of place there, let me know.

When trying to install the Google Play...
Code:
C:\sdk\platform-tools>adb install google-play4_3_11.apk
error: device not found
- waiting for device -

Obviously, that didn't go well.

I moved the "eclipse" file and the "SDK Manager" and it didn't even start the daemon... same goes for when I remove the path.

What the hell just happened? I am even MORE lost right now... :(

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
You are overthinking everthing.

Plug in phone to computer. Open a terminal and type in:
Code:
 adb devices
If it spits out a serial number for your phone its all good. If it's all good:

Open a terminal in the platform-tools folder and type in the install code.
Google how to open a terminal in a folder for your specific OS. It varies depending on your Windows version. It has to be done right to work. My XP requires I right click the actual folder. When I had Vista I had to right click in the folder.

If it's not all good, let me know.
Make sure you have USB debugging checked and Unknown sources checked on the phone. These are very important as well.

I'll check to see why I'm out of bandwidth. Might need another file hosting site.
Edit: Just downloaded the SDK with no problems. I'll see if another member can download.
EDIT to Edit: They got the same message as you.
Will have to move everything over to MediaFire in the next couple of days.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I guess overthinking is just my forte... xD

Code:

c:\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached

c:\sdk\platform-tools>

Yuck. Same thing comes up if I run as an administrator. I'm using the Command Prompt that came with Windows 7. I tried Windows PowerShell but it didn't work with ADB.

...I am lost once again. Not all seems to be good :/

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Quit overthinking. Lol.
Just open a command prompt anywhere and type in
Code:
adb devices
Tell me if you get a serial number or not.
Then we'll work on the next thing.
Without the proper info It makes it hard for me to help.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using AC Forums mobile app

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It didn't spit out a serial number. That's what the code box was above - it spit out NOTHING. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Maybe I should try my other cable...

Code:

c:\sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached

c:\sdk\platform-tools>

No serial number there, either. :/

I am also getting this error now when I update apps instead of "Package File is Invalid," if that means anything:
http://i.imgur.com/eJirHNB.png

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
If it didn't spit out a serial number, then your Android SDK is not set up properly. That's why you can't install an app from the platform-tools folder using the Android Debug Bridge.

I sure wish you would answer just the questions asked. It would save us a lot of time.
Let me see about getting you the SDK I have which already has all the right stuff (just extract to C:/), plus a readme.txt to help you get the path set properly.
Next Questions: Do you have the ADB Debugging box checked on the phone? Do you have Unknown Sources checked as well (depending on the ROM it could be in the application or security section)?