"Package File Is Invalid" - Neverending nightmare

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
No offense. I totally would try this one out, but it's not gonna install for me. I gotta figure this out with what I have, and all of the terminology is in binary to me. Any advice would be appreciated :)
Doh! Sorry about that. Wasn't thinking.
Let me upload the Root Browser.apk to my Mediafire account so you can install with ADB.

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can find the root browser apk on Google

Do you have any problems installing apps that are downloaded outside of Google Play? For example, googling the app name and version number and finding some blogspot that has a zippyshare link?

Believe me, I've tried. It doesn't work. I've tried to access APKs on my SD card via Total Commander (a root file explorer) and it won't let me install them. It just won't - it says "Application not installed" after. I don't know what the issue is. At all. I've tried via play.google.com as well as the app, and nothing's worked except ADB.

Doh! Sorry about that. Wasn't thinking.
Let me upload the Root Browser.apk to my Mediafire account so you can install with ADB.
Don't worry about it! It happens to me too xD

And thank you :)

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I bet you'll be very excited and relieved when this nightmare ends. In fact, keep in touch with me and I'll teach you all about Link2SD and it's excellent bliss it bestows upon the OV and all the apps you'll be able to get.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Code:
C:\SDK\platform-tools>adb install com.jrummy.root.browserfree_2.2.3.apk
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
355 KB/s (2540690 bytes in 6.973s)
        pkg: /data/local/tmp/com.jrummy.root.browserfree_2.2.3.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_DEXOPT]

C:\SDK\platform-tools>

It didn't work. I restarted my computer and everything, and it still didn't work. Was the Antutu thing a fluke? Weird... why would that work but this wouldn't? It's absolutely baffling... I wanna know if I'm doing something wrong, too... urgh.

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you have Superuser? Are you granting your current file browser superuser permission? Have you tried the "fix permissions" option in your custom recovery?

---------------------
Android enthusiast

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Google "dexopt failed".

I get a bunch of technical mumbo-jumbo that I barely even comprehend. Which... really doesn't help, unfortunately :/

Do you have Superuser? Are you granting your current file browser superuser permission? Have you tried the "fix permissions" option in your custom recovery?
Yes, yes, and, uh, no.

Trying that now. Took a bit to find it, but I did.

My recovery is Cannibal Open Touch 2.1, just so you know.

...this is taking forever. Oh, good, it's done. Let's see...

Well my phone is definitely acting weird after that. Might be completely borked. I can't open apps, my settings are reset, I am getting random "application has closed unexpectedly" popups. and nothing's even trying to update anymore, making my phone completely impossible to use.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new phone or reflash now. Thanks.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The "fix permissions" option in the recovery will bork a phone every time.
The only way to safely fix permissions is to open up a terminal and type in:
Code:
su
fix_permissions

Well...
If you still have the MiRaGe ROM and the 20110828 Gapps on the SD card flash em. If not put them there and flash em.
Start from scratch.
Make sure you do not (I repeat) restore system data or apps that are already included in the system.
You should only be restoring apps that are not already included and app data.
When you sign into your Google account (I usually just wait and open up the PlayStore, which allows you to sign in from there), it will restore your contacts.

PS: Check out this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...iz-cm10-updated-10-14-2013-a.html#post3098301

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
How do I avoid backing up the apps already in the system? Titanium?

I will tend to the reflash tomorrow. I just don't want to mess it up. I'll look into that thread when I'm not tired xD

I appreciate all your help - I will keep you posted on developments :)

Last edited:

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I will tend to the reflash tomorrow. I just don't want to mess it up. I'll look into that thread when I'm not tired xD

If you want a fresh clean sparkly start, I will guide you through every step. I have 4 files for you to flash, and I will make sure your SD card is backed up on the computer.

The trick is to backup your SD card *after* making a nandroid backup.

Trust me, you'll be fine starting over. I used to do it all the time - now the process is second nature to me.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

SomeoneVeryConfused

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm ready.

I want to save my app data, like my save files on the games I waste time with and some settings and whatnot. Should my first step be a Nandroid backup?

I'd also like to keep the files I have - particularly the Mirage ROM and the Cannibal OT recovery. I can try a new Gapps file though!

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm ready.

I want to save my app data, like my save files on the games I waste time with and some settings and whatnot. Should my first step be a Nandroid backup?

I'd also like to keep the files I have - particularly the Mirage ROM and the Cannibal OT recovery. I can try a new Gapps file though!

Okay - first things first - you're going to backup your phone via making a nandroid backup.

Then - you're going to copy and paste ALL of your SD card onto your computer (by then this will include your nandroid because it's stored on the SD card)

Oh and I had COT too but to start fresh onto MiRaGe, AndyOpie150 recommended ZenGarden to make sure you have ext4 as your SD card partition.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

Last edited:

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
*edited* see my next post.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381867047479.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381867047479.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Backing up all apps and data (weather user or system) and system data is a very good idea (You never know when you might accidently delete something vital). This is done with Titanium Backup.
The thing you have to remember is system data or apps for one ROM might?will be different for another. If system data or apps from another ROM are restored it will corrupt the new ROM.

When you restore from Titanium Backup you only want to restore your missing apps and your missing apps data.
You can do this two ways. The best way is to go to the Backup/Restore tab. Select the "click to edit filters" option. Go to "filter by type".
You have "All", "User", "System" and "Uninst." Uncheck the "System" box (the "All" circle will go blank). Now Go up to the top of the screen. Right hand side. Next to "CLEAR" is a check mark. Select the checkmark. Back out to the Backup/Restore menu.
Now restore your apps and only the app data for apps you really need the data for (example: app and data for my password app, app and data for Note Everything, just app for Android System Info. just app for Barcode Scanner).

The other way is if you have the Pro key. Hit the Menu key. Go to the "Batch Actions". Scroll down till you see the "Restore" options. Go to "restore all missing apps and data". When you select it you have to uncheck everything you don't want to restore, then select the check mark in the upper right hand corner. This will restore all apps and app data though, which is why I don't use it. It will cause a low space warning to come up in the task bar which you will now have to deal with.

I have an old computer that doesn't have an SD card slot, so I went to WalMart and bought a Card Reader.
I always keep a backup of the contents of the sd card on the computer or another USB flash drive or SD card.
You can either unmount the card in the phones storage setting, then pull and insert into computer or go to the pull down on the phone and select to transfer data from there. When it shows up on the computer highlight everything and then just drag and drop into a folder on the computer.
If it doesn't give you a popup window in a minute or so go to: Start/Computer. Click on the drive letter of the sd card (or the SD card Icon if displayed).

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Read above AndyOpie150's post to see step 1 of my fresh clean MiRaGe flash.

Trust me I'm gonna have you setup perfectly =) I've learned just how to make the absolute most out of our phone. In a nutshell you're gonna be (AFTER my step 1 above) emptying out your phone, flashing ZenGarden, the MiRaGe kernel, MiRaGe, gapps and the entropy tool, then we'll be sifting through your settings for optimal performance and to better suit Link2SD. The reason you're flashing ZenGarden is to redo your SD card partition to make sure it's ext4.

*at the store, I'll be right back here later on just have patience*

---------------------
Android enthusiast

Last edited:

damiandownfall

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm ready.

Step 1: Make sure you have a nandroid backup (first) and have moved everything from the SD card to the computer (after nandroid).

Step 2: Since you have the SD card backed up on your computer, you can now safely remove everything from it, leaving the SD card blank.

Step 3: Download this zip folder and extract it to your blank SD card. (it should be a folder with 5 zip folders in it, marked 0 through 4 - https://db.tt/b8MfKLNu

Step 4: While in Cannibal Open Touch Recovery, flash the 0 zip. This is ZenGarden Touch Recovery. After successfully flashing 0, reboot into recovery again. Now you should be using ZenGarden.

Step 5: While in ZenGarden, wipe everything out of your phone (except your SD card of course) including cache and dalvik.

Step 6: Flash the 1, 2, 3 and 4 zips in order. 2 should take the longest.

Step 7: After successfully flashing all 4, find the option to create a new SD card partition. Make the partition size at LEAST a gig and a half. I chose 3 gigs. Make swap = 0. Next choose "ext4" as type (important).

Step 8: After successfully partitioned, reboot your phone and wait for the phone to completely boot and start up.

------------
Welcome to MiRaGe. Deal with all your settings however you like, however, this is an important setting -

Make sure that the default install location of apps is selected "internal".

Go download Link2SD asap! Choose "ext4" then reboot your phone. Then go to Link2SD's settings. Make sure auto-link is checked, and re-link at boot is checked.

Enjoy! Download "Theme Chooser Themes" from Google Play, and play with some themes. My favorite is the most popular Jelly Bean theme for MDPI, CM7. Note that the ICS theme makes checkboxes in browsers invisible (it's really really annoying) so go for Jelly Bean then reboot your phone to let it take full effect. Remember that your phone is MDPI - CM7.

MiRaGe comes with Holo Launcher and it will accompany your Jelly Bean Theme for a pretty identical JB look.

---------------------
Android enthusiast

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674