[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.2][OS2SD/internal]OV-KitKat (JBC based)

com.google.android.GoogleCamera-2.1.037 (1122348-30).apk | com.google.android.GoogleCamera-2.1.037 (1122348-30).apk | by Android Police for Generic Device
Above is filehost link for new google camera update apk , got it off android police. I download it and installed it, has simpler interface and location features, but it FC once and phone had random reboot after taking several pics. I think it's supposed to update the current camera, but it downloaded as a separate app. Not sure if that is the cause of the errors.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Try Camera ZOOM fx. If I remember right, I either paid for it, or for the pro version, but WELL worth it. Although, I had it working worth the side camera button worth Reborn ROM, haven't gotten that to work yet for KitKat.

Edit: NM, got it working; just hadn't gotten around to messing with it yet with everything else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

The most RAM I can free up without rebooting is around 240 mb and that is quickly used up if I am surfing for like 5 min. If it gets below 60 then things come to a screeching halt. I have a widget monitoring RAM as well and if it gets to around 100 I will use quick reboot. I think changing the entropy threshold from 64 to 250 seems to be helping with lag but not with RAM depletion. Would be nice to have an app that would execute a quick reboot in the background at predetermined levels but that would probably cost some lag.

I've been using a plethora of apps with the main goal being battery life. I currently use a combination of Avast (firewall to limit which apps can use wifi and/or data), Greenify, Advanced Mobile Care (task killer), System Tuner (which has cpu stuff, startup stuff, task killer, FS trimming, Entropy, oom, etc.), and now Swapper 2. Pretty sick combo. Unplugged my phone at 7am, had wifi off all day, but none-the-less I have 35% battery left at 11pm. Took me 16hrs to get down to 35%; I'm happy. And that is WITH Google Now running in the background. Will probably add the pro version of Fast Reboot and call it good.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

I've been using a plethora of apps with the main goal being battery life. I currently use a combination of Avast (firewall to limit which apps can use wifi and/or data), Greenify, Advanced Mobile Care (task killer), System Tuner (which has cpu stuff, startup stuff, task killer, FS trimming, Entropy, oom, etc.), and now Swapper 2. Pretty sick combo. Unplugged my phone at 7am, had wifi off all day, but none-the-less I have 35% battery left at 11pm. Took me 16hrs to get down to 35%; I'm happy. And that is WITH Google Now running in the background. Will probably add the pro version of Fast Reboot and call it good.

Thanks, I will have to try some of the apps you mentioned, particularly Avast and Swapper. With the set up you currently have are you experiencing any random reboots or FC's? besides battery life stability is the ultimate goal for me and I was wondering if the task killers you have installed are causing issues.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

com.google.android.GoogleCamera-2.1.037 (1122348-30).apk | com.google.android.GoogleCamera-2.1.037 (1122348-30).apk | by Android Police for Generic Device
Above is filehost link for new google camera update apk , got it off android police. I download it and installed it, has simpler interface and location features, but it FC once and phone had random reboot after taking several pics. I think it's supposed to update the current camera, but it downloaded as a separate app. Not sure if that is the cause of the errors.
from xda p500 cm11 rom thread:
New Google stock camera on Play. Of course, not compatible with device. Side load from Android Police, gave it a try ...

1. Very large app. Much larger than combined gallery with edits and camera. What do we get for that?

2. Will wisely not offer photosphere on our device. Does offer a new "lens blur" depth-of-field trick. However, to use it, one must rotate the camera view upward around the center of the subject 45 degrees. I guess it triangulates from this what will be in focus and what blurred. This technique is only practical for small still-life subjects. Awkward if not impossible for portraits, etc. Needs H8's dual camera! Anyway, did not succeed with it.

3 Usage attempts:
1st time, blank screen, eventually FC.
2nd time, came up, took a picture. Tried to get lens blur, did not get hang of it.
3rd time, blank screen, figured out, using omni-switch how to get out more quickly
4th time, came up, could not connect to camera (Focal will also do that after abort).
Ran regular camera to reset.
After this, would get blank screen and after aborting that, successful start but cannot connect.

BTW, port of Nokia camera (on portal a while back) with a few interesting features works just fine. Rashed's armv6 older version of Focal works and offers numerous features but one must figure out what each one does. No descriptions or tooltips. V5 camera on Play, paid, may be the best of them. All install alongside Gallery2/Camera2, nothing lost, so have fun ...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

... besides battery life stability is the ultimate goal for me and I was wondering if the task killers you have installed are causing issues.
even the long-press home button app killer causes FC or reboot for me sometimes. "Open Fast Reboot" from Google Now, then pressing the run app button, causes freeze and reboot.

If I can get a non-bootlooping build going I will look at adjusting to oom-killer to what v6supercharger says it should be.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

from xda p500 cm11 rom thread:
Yeah, pretty much agree that the few tricks this offers is not worth the pain and really the stock camera isn't that bad. I took about 7-8 pictures before it crashed and really did not notice any major difference.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, I will have to try some of the apps you mentioned, particularly Avast and Swapper. With the set up you currently have are you experiencing any random reboots or FC's? besides battery life stability is the ultimate goal for me and I was wondering if the task killers you have installed are causing issues.

I don't remember the last random reboot (doesn't necessarily mean I haven't had one, recently; could just be bad memory =) ). In seriousness, they have seemed to occur far less recently. Not sure which app is doing the most to prevent that (or if it's even an app. I've made a lot of changes to my scripts I'm running on internal including even more running internally and some disk usage changes for ext4). Swapper and system tuner are my newest add-ons. I never have really had any problems with apps force closing during use. I have noticed that recently that if I wipe cache and dalvik, I'm getting several FCs on boot. Really hasn't affected functionality at all, as once the OS is fully loaded, I don't have any more FCs at all until the next time I wipe. I think something System Tuner does may be the culprit, but then it could also be something with my script (or both). Either way, again, I'm not the least concerned about it, just thought I'd let you know.
It's been a while since I've done anything heavy with my phone, so the lack of reboots (not the FCs during use, as I've never really had that problem) may be due to lack of use, but either way, I've been well contented with how my phone has been running as of late.

P.S. Just remembered I wanted to make note of something with Swapper 2. I have a 256MB swap partition with swappiness set fairly high, and I have yet to see swap usage exceed 40MB. My recommendation is go with a 128MB partition (64MB may be just too small).

Last edited:

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

I hardly get any FC's or Random reboots. The only time recently was while driving from Michigan to Gulf Shores AL for spring break, using the phone like 4-5 hours straight running GPS, google now updates and phone calls(sometimes all at once) even with the phone plugged in ran the battery down and almost overheated. Learned to shut phone off when driving long stretches to give it a break. I got rid of crossbreeder, fly-on mods and the like because the phone was just not stable with them on( for me) I would notice more crashing with heavy use, not so much normal use.

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Had one random reboot yesterday, none today, both days with moderate use (including voce texting/navigating/etc. via squid's awesome wrapper!), and no FC's. Was wondering which I/O scheduler y'all were using? I'm still using the default Deadline, but was thinking of trying Noop or BFQ. Thoughts?

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Had one random reboot yesterday, none today, both days with moderate use (including voce texting/navigating/etc. via squid's awesome wrapper!), and no FC's. Was wondering which I/O scheduler y'all were using? I'm still using the default Deadline, but was thinking of trying Noop or BFQ. Thoughts?

Currently using interactive gov 729/320 SIO scheduler.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Oh, and I found a cyanogen KitKat rom for the Samsung galaxy ace where devs seem to have fixed the clock lag and Wi-Fi drain issue. Sent him an email to see if he might be willing to give us some pointers. Here's the link to the thread: [ROM][4.4.2] CyanogenMod 11.0 20140410 [DAILY] [FULLY WORKING] - xda-developers .

That is one monstrous changelog, tons of contributors to that ROM. Hopefully they can contribute something, would be thrilled to get rid of the lag.

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Also Kudos to bigsupersquid for the wrapper, working great !!!

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Silly question.
How do you add another row for apps in the launcher. 3 rows just ain't cutting it.

Posted via Android Central App

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Silly question.
How do you add another row for apps in the launcher. 3 rows just ain't cutting it.

Posted via Android Central App

Amen, brother.

I know the launcher that came with earlier builds could change, but I've yet to find a way with Trebuchet. (Ha, if that's pronounced the way I think it is, then that sounded funny. :-D )

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

bigsupersquid, found this trolling the internet for possible clock drift issues in Kernel. This is Greek to me so apologies if it does not apply, though this looks like Linux based to my very untrained eyes.
"System clock runs too fast/slow

Try a different clock source, e.g. : clocksource=acpi_pm
Clock sources can be changed at runtime by writing the new clocksource name to the file /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource, but be aware that changing to an unstable/broken clock source can hang the system. Changing tsc or jiffies to acpi_pm should be okay. (The list of available sources is in the file available_clocksource in the same directory.)
The kernel's tickless mode is enabled by default in Fedora 7 and 8, but can sometimes cause incorrect timekeeping. Using nohz=off highres=off will disable it."

Lpen21

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site

Holy smokes, been reading up on how Linux keeps track of time and what a mine field. Seems like oodles of code to sync RTC clock and system clock and that's just time, not taking into account time zones, coordination with networks etc...looks like tweaking Kernels is quite the task

Toucan4267

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site

Can it be done in Google Now Launcher?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

I don't think so. I think I reverted back from the Now Launcher way back when because it couldn't (and because I hated having the mic button that didn't work so prominent). Maybe I'll see if I can pull the old launcher from a nandroid.