[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
this old phone must be more alive than any of the forums would lead me to believe.

About a year ago a work mate who was laid off needed a phone so if his kids school, potential employers or whoever called they could get a hold of him on the road. He couldn't budget a cell phone on top of his landline bill, so applied for the government assitance phones. He got a LG Optimus V VM670 and whoever his provider was loaded 500 minutes a month onto the phone. Safelink is what it was called, I think. I asked a ton of questions because it was the same phone as mine and I was curious as I had bought mine retail

I dont' know how many of them they gave away, it's impossible to say, but perhaps that would explain the traffic you get.

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
bigsupersquid, what's the difference between os2sd and f2fs (I hope it's apparent I don't belong here tech wise after my handful of posts haha)? I grabbed the recent os2sd build yesterday, but I've been wondering if I should go with the f2fs one instead for performance? all I do is install gapps, install my half a dozen apps to make sure they're up to date then back it all up with titanium and reflash the again without gapps. i just check my voicemail now and again and read books with an ebook reader.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
bigsupersquid, what's the difference between os2sd and f2fs (I hope it's apparent I don't belong here tech wise after my handful of posts haha)? I grabbed the recent os2sd build yesterday, but I've been wondering if I should go with the f2fs one instead for performance? all I do is install gapps, install my half a dozen apps to make sure they're up to date then back it all up with titanium and reflash the again without gapps. i just check my voicemail now and again and read books with an ebook reader.
First... f2fs is a filesystem type, like ext4.
F2FS Put to the Test Against EXT4
f2fs uses a lot of free space for its own upkeep. /system needs at least 384MB or so even though it's really under 256 with gapps.
it's supposed to be more stable than ext4 on sd but, I read horror stories of both. Needs fsck.f2fs run for checking, I'll make an init script for that.
fsck.f2fs is built into the ROM and recovery already.
adb shell said:
255|root@thunderc:/ # fsck.f2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

F2FS-tools: fsck.f2fs Ver: 1.3.0 (2014-02-06)

Info: sector size = 512
Info: total sectors = 1500000 (in 512bytes)

[FSCK] Unreachable nat entries [Ok..] [0x0]
[FSCK] SIT valid block bitmap checking [Ok..]
[FSCK] Hard link checking for regular file [Ok..] [0x0]
[FSCK] valid_block_count matching with CP [Ok..] [0x0]
[FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (de lookup) [Ok..] [0xab1]
[FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (nat lookup) [Ok..] [0xab1]
[FSCK] valid_inode_count matched with CP [Ok..] [0x550]

Done.
root@thunderc:/ # fsck.f2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p4

F2FS-tools: fsck.f2fs Ver: 1.3.0 (2014-02-06)

Info: sector size = 512
Info: total sectors = 2001380 (in 512bytes)

[FSCK] Unreachable nat entries [Ok..] [0x0]
[FSCK] SIT valid block bitmap checking [Ok..]
[FSCK] Hard link checking for regular file [Ok..] [0x0]
[FSCK] valid_block_count matching with CP [Ok..] [0x0]
[FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (de lookup) [Ok..] [0x7f4]
[FSCK] valid_node_count matcing with CP (nat lookup) [Ok..] [0x7f4]
[FSCK] valid_inode_count matched with CP [Ok..] [0x3f7]

Done.

If you get rid of the gapps, I have a suggestion.
Titanium likes to cause problems sometimes. It backs up more than just the apps themselves, and some of the other bits of /data it grabs may not need to be for what you're doing.
You can install everything in Play, and instead of backing up with TiBu, back up just your /data/app directory. If you put that one directory back after a clean install, it'll re-extract data/app-lib and make the rest of /data up fresh.
Of course, you'd have to redo your app settings without using TiBu. Might be worth trying though.

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Redoing app settings sounds like a fair price to pay for a more stable phone, I'll do this tonight. If I don't post back and just lurk, you know it worked ;) Thanks again bigsupersquid

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I can only figure out how to back up /data, not /data/apps and I hate to admit it but I've never learned even make a recovery back up before now or even after (except I backed up /data just now). I wouldn't know how to restore a back up even though the recovery tools are very transparent....

I'm a turd, I'm looking at this as I type and I see the restore button right next to the back up one. :-[ I was about to say before I seen that, I just always made sure my recovery tools were working well or my operating system was working. One or the other, so I have never needed to use the recovery tools.

If I clean install and only restore /data, will that do what you've suggested and restore the apps? Oh well I've got nothing better to do I'll give it a shot. Can you point me towards the door I need to open to read up on how to back up the /data/apps partition though if you see this and know I'm making a mistake?

And sorry about that question earlier about f2fs, I see in your 3rd post you made a point of explaining it was a file system already, I'll take care to not skim anymore because your directions are surprisingly good and you seem to always answer everything before I even ask ha.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
if you can use adb, you can
adb pull /data/app wherever_youre_putting_it
or a root explorer in the rom can also do it. just copy /data/app to the sdcard (make a folder to drop it in for ease of use.)
to restore it after a clean flash, use the file explorer and copy the contents of that back into /data/app. it should be some .apk's

no need to apologize, all questions are valid though I ignore some.

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
It worked, you're a rock star. Thanks, this is way better because now I was able to take Titanium with me along with it's license from the Play Store instead of having to resorting to dubious and mostly tedious forms just to use an app I Paid for

edit, (a day or so later)

No, I spoke to soon. For f' sakes it needs Google Play because it keeps wanting to verify the license is genuine every-time it opens up. Either way, your method is still way better and I don't even need to take TiBu with me (for the moment or at least on this device) because without it I can finally count the software I want on one hand and your tip made it happen

Last edited:

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bigsupersquid, got a strange one for ya: my phone won't keep the settings under Settings -> Performance anymore, and keeps reverting back to settings from a week ago after reboot. Developer Options and other items inside Settings appears to stick, just not Performance. I've made sure "modify settings" under app ops (aka Privacy Guard) are not "denied" for android/play processes/apps. Before this happened, I had been changing Performance parameters repeatedly to try to resolve the freezing issues (zRam didn't completely fix it). Can you suggest the next step of troubleshooting, or let me know if I can manually modify the settings file for performance?

Also, can I remove the swap partition if I don't want to use SD Swap?

Another minor thing I've observed is that the memory usage under Running/Cached processes are usually 0B, which did not happen with the 0629 builds (internal or os2sd). I often check this for identifying runaway processes. I got a separate app for this purpose now so not a major issue.

As a reminder, my current setup: 0906 os2sd on Optimus S. Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bigsupersquid, got a strange one for ya: my phone won't keep the settings under Settings -> Performance anymore, and keeps reverting back to settings from a week ago after reboot. Developer Options and other items inside Settings appears to stick, just not Performance. I've made sure "modify settings" under app ops (aka Privacy Guard) are not "denied" for android/play processes/apps. Before this happened, I had been changing Performance parameters repeatedly to try to resolve the freezing issues (zRam didn't completely fix it). Can you suggest the next step of troubleshooting, or let me know if I can manually modify the settings file for performance?

Also, can I remove the swap partition if I don't want to use SD Swap?

Another minor thing I've observed is that the memory usage under Running/Cached processes are usually 0B, which did not happen with the 0629 builds (internal or os2sd). I often check this for identifying runaway processes. I got a separate app for this purpose now so not a major issue.

As a reminder, my current setup: 0906 os2sd on Optimus S. Thanks in advance.
the settings not sticking is odd.
but for the reboots/freezes..
Here, give this a shot. flash in recovery.
I've been experimenting with dalvik settings and kernel minfree tweaks.
it's for f2fs version, else you need to remove /system/etc/init.d/01fsck_f2fs from the zip.
It's specifically for 0906 f2fs os2sd version, may break others.
too bad the oom killer settings are embedded in framework, will need next release to tune those as well. but the dalvik and kernel minfree settings help some.

you can turn swap partition size down to anything above zero. It needs to be there even if 1MB for the partition numbering scheme in the fstab.

Attachments

• dalvik_init_tweaks09062014.zip
    128.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

syguyice

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Bigsupersquid, will try tonight. Should I wipe dalvik before flashing this? What would I lose if I wipe? Am also going to try Fix Permission in recovery as some other posts suggested; is there a specific file I should fix permission for for performance settings?

I should probably google for a tutorial on what files are used for what in an android system...

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Bigsupersquid, will try tonight. Should I wipe dalvik before flashing this? What would I lose if I wipe? Am also going to try Fix Permission in recovery as some other posts suggested; is there a specific file I should fix permission for for performance settings?

I should probably google for a tutorial on what files are used for what in an android system...
wiping dalvik loses some settings. that's all though. it'll boot slowly while it rebuilds.
fix permissions, if it's even there in twrp, isn't supposed to work in kitkat cause of the selinux etc.

I'd suggest wiping /system and dalvik, reflashing the rom etc. that'll leave your apps and most app settings. but fix any perms issues in system.

siryoink

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Not sure where I've went wrong here, but I have a LG Optimus S with the ZVJ radio. Installed TWRP 2.8 and flashed the internal rom. Flashed the Sprint patch to it, then rebooted. OS seems to be running, but no cellular service. Wifi does work. Reflashed and still have the same issue. Any suggestions?

Flashing back to my old rom until I can figure out what went wrong.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure where I've went wrong here, but I have a LG Optimus S with the ZVJ radio. Installed TWRP 2.8 and flashed the internal rom. Flashed the Sprint patch to it, then rebooted. OS seems to be running, but no cellular service. Wifi does work. Reflashed and still have the same issue. Any suggestions?

Flashing back to my old rom until I can figure out what went wrong.
sprint patch is messed up, but it should only mess up messaging.
Can you post a logcat to pastebin.com?
oh, and thewraith420 would know better, but maybe you need the zvd-zvj patch:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...hable-zips-optimus-s.html?highlight=zvj+patch

Last edited:

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to piggy back off the clock and wifi lag. I didn't notice until I got a new phone the other day and stopped paying my bill and only used the wifi. It's just a cheap Dollar Store TrakPhone but I don't plan to renew my bill, I'll just use the new phone to set my alarm

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to piggy back off the clock and wifi lag. I didn't notice until I got a new phone the other day and stopped paying my bill and only used the wifi. It's just a cheap Dollar Store TrakPhone but I don't plan to renew my bill, I'll just use the new phone to set my alarm
I get clock lag on mobile network now that it's a daily driver again.
oddly, I didn't get that running solely on wifi.

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Also Ive notoced that the sd card partitioner in the recovery makes three partitions, while the instructions mention 4, and "whats left" for sd card storage. Am I reading something wrong, or is one option missing?

Also the recovery makes two of them ext4. The only menu for changing from ext4 to f2fs is in the wipe menu, above the slider.

I'm assuming I go to wipe in os2sd mode and change system and data to f2fs. Correct?
Will that wipe the sd card again?

Whats the mechanical benefit to f2fs vs ext4?
From my limited reading, i assume f2fs is faster, but a bit riskier?

Ive also noticed that the internal version boots when the os2sd flash fails, which is great.

I had a suggestion.. What would be really awesome, is if int2ext or link2sd could load apps in /os2sddata or os2sd/internal on an internal boot (if os2sd boot fails), so you'd have your apps either way...

Posted via the Android Central App

omgitsMATT

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps its a problem that behaves different for every device? How true is it that not all our phones, even though they're the same models, are not created equal? That may be why it's behaving oddly for everyone

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Also Ive notoced that the sd card partitioner in the recovery makes three partitions, while the instructions mention 4, and "whats left" for sd card storage. Am I reading something wrong, or is one option missing?

Also the recovery makes two of them ext4. The only menu for changing from ext4 to f2fs is in the wipe menu, above the slider.

I'm assuming I go to wipe in os2sd mode and change system and data to f2fs. Correct?
Will that wipe the sd card again?

Whats the mechanical benefit to f2fs vs ext4?
From my limited reading, i assume f2fs is faster, but a bit riskier?

Ive also noticed that the internal version boots when the os2sd flash fails, which is great.

I had a suggestion.. What would be really awesome, is if int2ext or link2sd could load apps in /os2sddata or os2sd/internal on an internal boot (if os2sd boot fails), so you'd have your apps either way...

Posted via the Android Central App
3 extra partitions, plus the regular sdcard partition. typo probably.
f2fs supposed to be nicer to the card. uses a lot of space on there just to exist, though.
if the flash succeeds, and os2sd fails because the card is bad or missing, it just won't boot. not until I fix all that up.
can't really deal with int2/link2 things.
Perhaps its a problem that behaves different for every device? How true is it that not all our phones, even though they're the same models, are not created equal? That may be why it's behaving oddly for everyone
cards can cause a lot of issues too. went thru 4 different ones to find one that behaved nicely. the others, lots of fc's, slow operation, slow to wake.
finally got an internal build at about 130MB. usable. only had to remove-project a hundred or so projects from the repo in roomservice.xml

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I get clock lag on mobile network now that it's a daily driver again.
oddly, I didn't get that running solely on wifi.

Yup. I mentioned plenty of times how the clock lags like mad for me when connected to Wi-Fi (I don't have phone service anyway, plus with Juice Defender I have "Tablet Mode", disabling the cell radio). Airplane mode, the clock works okay, but it misses alarm settings often.

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yup. I mentioned plenty of times how the clock lags like mad for me when connected to Wi-Fi (I don't have phone service anyway, plus with Juice Defender I have "Tablet Mode", disabling the cell radio). Airplane mode, the clock works okay, but it misses alarm settings often.

That's funny, I thought I got worse clock lag problems with the wifi turned off, almost like the wifi was keeping it from going to sleep or something, killing battery but keeping the clock correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz