Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 62636465
Results 1,601 to 1,621 of 1621
Like Tree608Likes
  1. #1601  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Years guys, I know I'll not remember when it actually comes up.
    bigsupersquid likes this.
  2. #1602  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Happy new year everyone!

    So I've been paying attention to this board for the past couple months but I haven't had the time or know how to really get rooting. Seems like maybe now is the time to start. I'm what you would call 'a total n00b'. So, sorry, these questions are going to sound really dumb. First things first, how I actually load the TWRP recovery image onto the phone?
  3. #1603  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    What all have you done so far?
  4. #1604  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Sorry. Yesterday was an... interesting... day.

    Basically, I have root. It seems that a lot of the methods for installing TWRP that I've come across are outdated (namely, all the "click here to download such and such manager links are broken). So, basically, that's the big hang up right now.
  5. #1605  

    Question Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    I'm working on a project to convert some of my old Vs into cameras for very little kids.

    The Vs are stock/unrooted Virgin Mobile phones. "About" gives me:
    - Model VM670
    - Android Version 2.2.1
    - Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
    - Build Number: FRG83
    - SW Version: VM6702V4
    - HW Version: 1.2

    Here's the general idea for the project (not sure if it's feasible):
    1. Install minimal fast/stable ROM such as this one or MiRaGe
    2. Turn off Cell Radio (airplane mode is fine if I can do #3 below)
    3. Turn off access to Settings (password lock?) and all other features but Camera.
    4. (Optional): Ideally, by default, the camera app is launched when phone is powered on

    I have a couple of 2GB cards that I'd like to use as default storage for these "cameras".

    Would this project be possible with this ROM or MiRaGe? I'm not concerned about getting the latest version of Android as these phones will become "appliances" and very likely be recycled after the kids are done with them (if the phones survive :-). I also don't care about installing anything from the Play store, so can I just leave that out? I would need only the default camera app and a gallery app so that the kids can view the stored pics on the microSD card.

    And one last question - how to get started? Many of the links to the various ROMs are broken. I've rooted and installed ROMs for other phones, but this is the first time I will be rooting a phone that is this old.

    Many thanks for any feedback/suggestions/comments.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1606  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmusicgv View Post
    Sorry. Yesterday was an... interesting... day.

    Basically, I have root. It seems that a lot of the methods for installing TWRP that I've come across are outdated (namely, all the "click here to download such and such manager links are broken). So, basically, that's the big hang up right now.
    If your rooting process installed any custom recovery you should be able to use the flashable zip from the twrp thread linked in the first posts of this thread.
    It's more fun without a recovery already installed, I'd have to dig out and upload flash_image for froyo then. Or maybe dd might work in adb shell.
    Let me know your specifics.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1607  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Quote Originally Posted by saidiadude View Post
    I'm working on a project to convert some of my old Vs into cameras for very little kids.

    The Vs are stock/unrooted Virgin Mobile phones. "About" gives me:
    - Model VM670
    - Android Version 2.2.1
    - Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
    - Build Number: FRG83
    - SW Version: VM6702V4
    - HW Version: 1.2

    Here's the general idea for the project (not sure if it's feasible):
    1. Install minimal fast/stable ROM such as this one or MiRaGe
    2. Turn off Cell Radio (airplane mode is fine if I can do #3 below)
    3. Turn off access to Settings (password lock?) and all other features but Camera.
    4. (Optional): Ideally, by default, the camera app is launched when phone is powered on

    I have a couple of 2GB cards that I'd like to use as default storage for these "cameras".

    Would this project be possible with this ROM or MiRaGe? I'm not concerned about getting the latest version of Android as these phones will become "appliances" and very likely be recycled after the kids are done with them (if the phones survive :-). I also don't care about installing anything from the Play store, so can I just leave that out? I would need only the default camera app and a gallery app so that the kids can view the stored pics on the microSD card.

    And one last question - how to get started? Many of the links to the various ROMs are broken. I've rooted and installed ROMs for other phones, but this is the first time I will be rooting a phone that is this old.

    Many thanks for any feedback/suggestions/comments.
    Mirage is what you need.
    Making the camera app a launcher would require a rebuild but you can definitely trim mirage down and it's stable.
    I built a special gaming ROM out of kitkat for a buddy's evo 4g, it's surprising how many things can be removed and still have the ROM function.
    saidiadude likes this.
  8. #1608  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    I used gingerbreak. As far as I know, that didn't install any sort of custom recovery.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1609  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmusicgv View Post
    I used gingerbreak. As far as I know, that didn't install any sort of custom recovery.
    Yep. So use adb.
    download the .img file for twrp, put it on /sdcard, from the twrp thread linked in the OP here. Use either one in that drive folder.
    Get flash_image from
    [RECOVERY] Cannibal Open Touch v1.2 (latest update: 06/24/2012) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    Follow instruction 6 that tells you to get info from the xionia thread installing flash_image.
    Then once it's in there,
    substitute the correct filename for the twrp you downloaded in the following...
    Code:
    adb shell
    su
    flash_image twrp*.img
    reboot recovery
    That should get you going. Twrp should install older flashable zip recoveries if you want to run mirage or something, and if it won't install the older recovery zip you can flash_image in adb in recovery easy enough.
  10. #1610  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    I know this thread is very old, but I have an old Optimus V that is active on Ring+. Thought it might be interesting to try this 4.4.4 ROM. I have followed the OS2SD instructions, and everything flashes just fine (using TWRP 2.8), but when I do first reboot I get nothing but black screen (no animation logo, etc.). It's been almost 20 minutes and nothing.

    FWIW, I installed cm-11-20141030-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip, followed by the Sprint fix, pico modular, then the pa facilitator. I've done it twice, with the same black screen result on first boot.

    Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks!

    (UPDATE: I also tried the internal version, and same black screen. Wiped data/cache/dalvik, but still it won't boot)

    (UPDATE #2: Well, I made some progress. For internal flash, if I reboot immediately after the initial ROM flash, it works. After that reboot, I can then install the carrier (Sprint) fix. No Gapps, however (or else it hoses again). I went back and then tried same strategy for OS2SD flash. Initial reboot gives me a working phone (although I did experience a couple of random reboots). But if I flash carrier fix HERE, it hoses again. So a little progress -- still tinkering -- although I don't have a working data connection or any Gapps, which is actually okay for what I use this phone for. The data connection issue could be a Ring+ issue...)
  11. #1611  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Having some issues on my LG Optimus S.
    Switched TWRP to Internal, Factory Wipe, Flashed BigSuperROM Internal, Sprint Fix (plain, v2 fails), OSkeyfix, Gapps Skinny, Reboot.
    (I even tried it all again after partitioning the card, just in case that was the problem coming from my previous Link2SD setup.)
    CM logo spins, eventually a black OS appears to load - I see a Battery and (empty) signal indicator, plus Emergency Call and the Setup Wizard.
    I click "Start" with "English" selected and after a few moments of "Just a sec" it errors out with "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped". I can swipe down from the top and it shows me a clock and "No Internet Connection". No other keypresses seem to do anything.
    I noticed in TWRP console I get at least a couple red lines:
    E: unable to mount "/data"
    Is that normal?
  12. #1612  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Crud, sorry, double post.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1613  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    I'll add more info soon. sorry.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1614  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    ring+ needs a different /etc/apns-conf.xml

    gapps are wanky for armv6 chips, sorry. my uploaded resources for Optimus V haven't been looked at in maybe even as long as a couple years. one at least.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1615  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendTed View Post
    Having some issues on my LG Optimus S.
    Switched TWRP to Internal, Factory Wipe, Flashed BigSuperROM Internal, Sprint Fix (plain, v2 fails), OSkeyfix, Gapps Skinny, Reboot.
    (I even tried it all again after partitioning the card, just in case that was the problem coming from my previous Link2SD setup.)
    CM logo spins, eventually a black OS appears to load - I see a Battery and (empty) signal indicator, plus Emergency Call and the Setup Wizard.
    I click "Start" with "English" selected and after a few moments of "Just a sec" it errors out with "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped". I can swipe down from the top and it shows me a clock and "No Internet Connection". No other keypresses seem to do anything.
    I noticed in TWRP console I get at least a couple red lines:
    E: unable to mount "/data"
    Is that normal?
    internal version isn't very supported. os2sd generally worked better for me. still, gapps can be a problem. you have to remove anything that says *SetupWizard* in system/app and or system/priv-app to fix that startup error.
    since there is a burst of interest in this both here and on xda all at once, I'll see if i can do some testing and eventually maybe even update.
  16. #1616  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Thanks for the reply!
    I may give the SetupWizard thing a try.
    gapps instability might be an issue, though. This phone is still my daily driver (yeah yeah, I know), so it's nice to have the basic things working.
  17. #1617  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    A little update:
    I may have been trying to do too much at once. I installed BSR (internal) by itself (after a fresh partition of the sdcard, to be safe) and things started up. Then gapps after a first boot. Still not perfect, though.
    I've flashed the oskeyswap and SprintFix, but I'm not getting a cell signal. I've tried turning the cell radio on and off (directly and through Airplane mode), rebooted a couple of times, reflashed the Sprintfix without seeing any change. Not sure what to make of that. About:Phone shows me on the LS670ZVJ baseband, if that matters.
    SELinux is set to Enforcing, and I remember reading something about that, but I think that was only an issue for Toucanscrypt, which I haven't installed yet.

    Edit: I see there's another active user trying out BSR on xda. I'll probably move my status updates over there for the time being.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1618  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    that's cool, I check over there more often.
    this was always the hopping place to be for the Optimus v though, even phandroid Android forums didn't get as much traffic for this device.
  19. #1619  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Optimus S here. Got the ROM installed and booted in okay, using the recommended "SetupWizard" removal. I installed a couple of apps just fine, but now, the Play Store keeps crashing and won't let me install anything else. Tried FC'ing, clearing cache, rebooting. Nothing has fixed it.

    Also, the Menu and Home buttons seem to be switched, even after I flashed the KeyFix zip file.

    Any suggestions? It's amazing that there is still an active thread on a phone this old. Thank you.

    This isn't a daily driver, but I'd love to use it as an emergency communication device (Hangouts/Whatsapp/etc) and maybe a Chromecast controller.

    UPDATE: It might just be a space issue. I might have to find an SD card and try to figure out the ROM2SD option.
  20. #1620  

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    Ok, I'm posting one more time. I tried to follow the instructions for OS2SD, using an unbranded, Class 10 32GB Micro SD card, and I am running into a brick wall.

    Using the recommended TWRP v2.8.0.0 Multi OS2SD. Partition the SD card as recommended, using the default EXT4 for DATA and SYSTEM. The instructions say "mount menu
    format system, data and cache"

    But I assume that must mean mount system, data and cache. Then I try to flash the latest OS2SD (20141119), and get the same error that Shinkenred mentioned (" set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
    E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/000root/cm-11-20141129-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip'
    Error flashing zip '/sdcard/000root/cm-11-20141129-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip' ").

    But unlike him, I am not switching my partitions to f2fs. I looked up the error, and folks say it's caused by using an old recovery that doesn't support Kitkat. Just for fun, I followed the suggestion to replace set_metadata in the updater script with set_perm, but that just gave me a different error about "not a valid uid". Any help would be fantastic.

    Update: Welp, it was my dumb mistake. I was using the EXT2 version of the ROM.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1621  
    bigsupersquid's Avatar
    o_O

    Posts
    1,969 Posts
    Carrier
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

    Default Re: [ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

    I'm actually working on getting out an update here soon. CM's last kitkat commit I see is the June 1 security patch, and it does build.
    I'm testing and getting things back together after quite a while not building for the S/V (check the date on that ROM! Ancient.)
    Need to clean up the OP and archive all the old info.
    You may need the ZVD-ZVJ ril patch from the Optimus S side of things... I did put a link to it near the end of the XDA rom thread. This place is so dead around here lately that I hardly ever check in, sorry.
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 62636465

Similar Threads

  1. Is moto x camera good for a vacation?
    By AImbriano in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 08:21 AM
  2. Case for Note 3 with the wireless charging battery/back cover
    By DocGo in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 07:45 AM

Posting Permissions