[ROM+Kernel][CM-11.0][4.4.4][OS2SD/internal][f2fs]bigsuperROM-thunderc-4.4.4

rockinmusicgv

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
Sorry. Yesterday was an... interesting... day.

Basically, I have root. It seems that a lot of the methods for installing TWRP that I've come across are outdated (namely, all the "click here to download such and such manager links are broken). So, basically, that's the big hang up right now.

saidiadude

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on a project to convert some of my old Vs into cameras for very little kids.

The Vs are stock/unrooted Virgin Mobile phones. "About" gives me:
- Model VM670
- Android Version 2.2.1
- Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
- Build Number: FRG83
- SW Version: VM6702V4
- HW Version: 1.2

Here's the general idea for the project (not sure if it's feasible):
1. Install minimal fast/stable ROM such as this one or MiRaGe
2. Turn off Cell Radio (airplane mode is fine if I can do #3 below)
3. Turn off access to Settings (password lock?) and all other features but Camera.
4. (Optional): Ideally, by default, the camera app is launched when phone is powered on

I have a couple of 2GB cards that I'd like to use as default storage for these "cameras".

Would this project be possible with this ROM or MiRaGe? I'm not concerned about getting the latest version of Android as these phones will become "appliances" and very likely be recycled after the kids are done with them (if the phones survive :). I also don't care about installing anything from the Play store, so can I just leave that out? I would need only the default camera app and a gallery app so that the kids can view the stored pics on the microSD card.

And one last question - how to get started? Many of the links to the various ROMs are broken. I've rooted and installed ROMs for other phones, but this is the first time I will be rooting a phone that is this old.

Many thanks for any feedback/suggestions/comments.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Sorry. Yesterday was an... interesting... day.

Basically, I have root. It seems that a lot of the methods for installing TWRP that I've come across are outdated (namely, all the "click here to download such and such manager links are broken). So, basically, that's the big hang up right now.

If your rooting process installed any custom recovery you should be able to use the flashable zip from the twrp thread linked in the first posts of this thread.
It's more fun without a recovery already installed, I'd have to dig out and upload flash_image for froyo then. Or maybe dd might work in adb shell.
Let me know your specifics.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm working on a project to convert some of my old Vs into cameras for very little kids.

The Vs are stock/unrooted Virgin Mobile phones. "About" gives me:
- Model VM670
- Android Version 2.2.1
- Kernel Version 2.6.32.9
- Build Number: FRG83
- SW Version: VM6702V4
- HW Version: 1.2

Here's the general idea for the project (not sure if it's feasible):
1. Install minimal fast/stable ROM such as this one or MiRaGe
2. Turn off Cell Radio (airplane mode is fine if I can do #3 below)
3. Turn off access to Settings (password lock?) and all other features but Camera.
4. (Optional): Ideally, by default, the camera app is launched when phone is powered on

I have a couple of 2GB cards that I'd like to use as default storage for these "cameras".

Would this project be possible with this ROM or MiRaGe? I'm not concerned about getting the latest version of Android as these phones will become "appliances" and very likely be recycled after the kids are done with them (if the phones survive :). I also don't care about installing anything from the Play store, so can I just leave that out? I would need only the default camera app and a gallery app so that the kids can view the stored pics on the microSD card.

And one last question - how to get started? Many of the links to the various ROMs are broken. I've rooted and installed ROMs for other phones, but this is the first time I will be rooting a phone that is this old.

Many thanks for any feedback/suggestions/comments.
Mirage is what you need.
Making the camera app a launcher would require a rebuild but you can definitely trim mirage down and it's stable.
I built a special gaming ROM out of kitkat for a buddy's evo 4g, it's surprising how many things can be removed and still have the ROM function.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I used gingerbreak. As far as I know, that didn't install any sort of custom recovery.

Yep. So use adb.
download the .img file for twrp, put it on /sdcard, from the twrp thread linked in the OP here. Use either one in that drive folder.
Get flash_image from
[RECOVERY] Cannibal Open Touch v1.2 (latest update: 06/24/2012) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Follow instruction 6 that tells you to get info from the xionia thread installing flash_image.
Then once it's in there,
substitute the correct filename for the twrp you downloaded in the following...
Code:
adb shell
su
flash_image twrp*.img
reboot recovery
That should get you going. Twrp should install older flashable zip recoveries if you want to run mirage or something, and if it won't install the older recovery zip you can flash_image in adb in recovery easy enough.

ktalley

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I know this thread is very old, but I have an old Optimus V that is active on Ring+. Thought it might be interesting to try this 4.4.4 ROM. I have followed the OS2SD instructions, and everything flashes just fine (using TWRP 2.8), but when I do first reboot I get nothing but black screen (no animation logo, etc.). It's been almost 20 minutes and nothing.

FWIW, I installed cm-11-20141030-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip, followed by the Sprint fix, pico modular, then the pa facilitator. I've done it twice, with the same black screen result on first boot.

Any thoughts from anyone? Thanks!

(UPDATE: I also tried the internal version, and same black screen. Wiped data/cache/dalvik, but still it won't boot)

(UPDATE #2: Well, I made some progress. For internal flash, if I reboot immediately after the initial ROM flash, it works. After that reboot, I can then install the carrier (Sprint) fix. No Gapps, however (or else it hoses again). I went back and then tried same strategy for OS2SD flash. Initial reboot gives me a working phone (although I did experience a couple of random reboots). But if I flash carrier fix HERE, it hoses again. So a little progress -- still tinkering -- although I don't have a working data connection or any Gapps, which is actually okay for what I use this phone for. The data connection issue could be a Ring+ issue...)

Last edited:

ReverendTed

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Having some issues on my LG Optimus S.
Switched TWRP to Internal, Factory Wipe, Flashed BigSuperROM Internal, Sprint Fix (plain, v2 fails), OSkeyfix, Gapps Skinny, Reboot.
(I even tried it all again after partitioning the card, just in case that was the problem coming from my previous Link2SD setup.)
CM logo spins, eventually a black OS appears to load - I see a Battery and (empty) signal indicator, plus Emergency Call and the Setup Wizard.
I click "Start" with "English" selected and after a few moments of "Just a sec" it errors out with "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped". I can swipe down from the top and it shows me a clock and "No Internet Connection". No other keypresses seem to do anything.
I noticed in TWRP console I get at least a couple red lines:
E: unable to mount "/data"
Is that normal?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
ring+ needs a different /etc/apns-conf.xml

gapps are wanky for armv6 chips, sorry. my uploaded resources for Optimus V haven't been looked at in maybe even as long as a couple years. one at least.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Having some issues on my LG Optimus S.
Switched TWRP to Internal, Factory Wipe, Flashed BigSuperROM Internal, Sprint Fix (plain, v2 fails), OSkeyfix, Gapps Skinny, Reboot.
(I even tried it all again after partitioning the card, just in case that was the problem coming from my previous Link2SD setup.)
CM logo spins, eventually a black OS appears to load - I see a Battery and (empty) signal indicator, plus Emergency Call and the Setup Wizard.
I click "Start" with "English" selected and after a few moments of "Just a sec" it errors out with "Unfortunately, Setup Wizard has stopped". I can swipe down from the top and it shows me a clock and "No Internet Connection". No other keypresses seem to do anything.
I noticed in TWRP console I get at least a couple red lines:
E: unable to mount "/data"
Is that normal?
internal version isn't very supported. os2sd generally worked better for me. still, gapps can be a problem. you have to remove anything that says *SetupWizard* in system/app and or system/priv-app to fix that startup error.
since there is a burst of interest in this both here and on xda all at once, I'll see if i can do some testing and eventually maybe even update.

ReverendTed

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!
I may give the SetupWizard thing a try.
gapps instability might be an issue, though. This phone is still my daily driver (yeah yeah, I know), so it's nice to have the basic things working.

ReverendTed

May 26, 2016
Visit site
A little update:
I may have been trying to do too much at once. I installed BSR (internal) by itself (after a fresh partition of the sdcard, to be safe) and things started up. Then gapps after a first boot. Still not perfect, though.
I've flashed the oskeyswap and SprintFix, but I'm not getting a cell signal. I've tried turning the cell radio on and off (directly and through Airplane mode), rebooted a couple of times, reflashed the Sprintfix without seeing any change. Not sure what to make of that. About:phone shows me on the LS670ZVJ baseband, if that matters.
SELinux is set to Enforcing, and I remember reading something about that, but I think that was only an issue for Toucanscrypt, which I haven't installed yet.

Edit: I see there's another active user trying out BSR on xda. I'll probably move my status updates over there for the time being.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
that's cool, I check over there more often.
this was always the hopping place to be for the Optimus v though, even phandroid Android forums didn't get as much traffic for this device.

RobertB12227334

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Optimus S here. Got the ROM installed and booted in okay, using the recommended "SetupWizard" removal. I installed a couple of apps just fine, but now, the Play Store keeps crashing and won't let me install anything else. Tried FC'ing, clearing cache, rebooting. Nothing has fixed it.

Also, the Menu and Home buttons seem to be switched, even after I flashed the KeyFix zip file.

Any suggestions? It's amazing that there is still an active thread on a phone this old. Thank you.

This isn't a daily driver, but I'd love to use it as an emergency communication device (Hangouts/Whatsapp/etc) and maybe a Chromecast controller.

UPDATE: It might just be a space issue. I might have to find an SD card and try to figure out the ROM2SD option.

Last edited:

RobertB12227334

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I'm posting one more time. I tried to follow the instructions for OS2SD, using an unbranded, Class 10 32GB Micro SD card, and I am running into a brick wall.

Using the recommended TWRP v2.8.0.0 Multi OS2SD. Partition the SD card as recommended, using the default EXT4 for DATA and SYSTEM. The instructions say "mount menu
format system, data and cache"

But I assume that must mean mount system, data and cache. Then I try to flash the latest OS2SD (20141119), and get the same error that Shinkenred mentioned (" set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/000root/cm-11-20141129-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/000root/cm-11-20141129-EXPERIMENTAL-ext4_os2sd_bigsuperROM-thunderc.zip' ").

But unlike him, I am not switching my partitions to f2fs. I looked up the error, and folks say it's caused by using an old recovery that doesn't support Kitkat. Just for fun, I followed the suggestion to replace set_metadata in the updater script with set_perm, but that just gave me a different error about "not a valid uid". Any help would be fantastic.

Update: Welp, it was my dumb mistake. I was using the EXT2 version of the ROM.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually working on getting out an update here soon. CM's last kitkat commit I see is the June 1 security patch, and it does build.
I'm testing and getting things back together after quite a while not building for the S/V (check the date on that ROM! Ancient.)
Need to clean up the OP and archive all the old info.
You may need the ZVD-ZVJ ril patch from the Optimus S side of things... I did put a link to it near the end of the XDA rom thread. This place is so dead around here lately that I hardly ever check in, sorry.

Vishwesh Anand

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Sorry for necroposting but:
Does anyone know how to successfully revert from this CM11 rom to a CM7.2 rom?
This rom is great and all, but very slow on my Optimus S compared to gingerbread.

I tried flashing CM7.2 from this new os2sd recovery in internal mode, but it won't boot. Possibly because Debug-FormatSYSTEM.zip won't flash from this new TWRP recovery.

Is there a way to revert to the old Xionia CWMa recovery and install CM7.2 from there?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You can flash the xionia recovery in os2sd twrp with adb or terminal.
You can also edit the updater-script for the gb rom and swap all instances of /system and /data to install the rom with os2sd recovery. The issue is that the newer recovery kernel has userdata and system switched in source code, so older roms write themselves to userdata instead of system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12