Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb [TWRP RECOVERY][OS2SD][INTERNAL][KITKAT ROM DEV] - TechVendetta

So rather than cluttering the various other threads with my updates this will be my main stable releases and support thread.

[TWRP RECOVERY]
    • supports internal and os2sd roms
    • allows back up and restore from internal and external
    • built-in file manager
    • custom coded os2sd card partitioner
    • every other feature of twrp is functioning properly

If you were testing my beta builds, you may need to either delete your twrp folder (at least the settings file) or select "storage: sdcard storage" then tap the radio button during your first backup, this may also be true after formating since the partition table changes. After doing this once its stored by twrp in settings. Also, be patient during sdcard partitioning, especially with larger cards, the phone will vibrate and display success when its done.

[DOWNLOAD: recovery.img]
    [DOWNLOAD: recovery.zip]

[KITKAT ROM]
    Still not stable enough for release...
    My ROM is based off Bigsupersquid's repo, which is based off JBC.
    My work focuses on os2sd specifically.
    I post weekly/nightly builds on my website under the forum section.
    Note that those builds can be unstable (which is why they aren't on here yet)

Now that TWRP is functioning the way I wanted, I'll be refocusing on the ROM, and cleaning up my code to post to github.
    TechVendetta DEV : http://techvendetta.com
    It is revenge. @techvendetta | https://plus.google.com/116782204324544286226
    Thanked by 14:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

Global Posts
    25,881 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: [TWRP RECOVERY][OS2SD][INTERNAL][KITKAT ROM DEV] - TechVendetta

Thanks for sharing.
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

It wants a switch to choose where generic .zips go (ones that mount without specifying MTD or EMMC) since right now they default to internal.
    keep the wife happy with my dev time:
    donate!
    the THANKS button is quite acceptable if you're as stingy as me, too.

ROM
    Xperion

Very nice! I will certainly be using your new recovery, as well as keeping an eye on the development of the Rom. One quick question, how does your Rom differ from Squid's?
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by brotherswing View Post
    Very nice! I will certainly be using your new recovery, as well as keeping an eye on the development of the Rom. One quick question, how does your Rom differ from Squid's?
    Well Squid actually beat me to alot of fixes, he got mms fully working before me. I was tweaking mostly performance related values, like battery and sdspeed and clock speed and time fixes. Which reminds me, Squid nice job on the mms fix, I just flashed your rom from my recovery and its working pretty decent. As far as generic zips, I'm assuming you mean ones that don't specify a mount path for system? See the problem with that is to allow that you would need to mount both internal and external at /system, however, doing so would break the ability to backup both internal and external system. I suppose one solution would be to add a scanner that parses the recovery script looking for a mount command. Then if one isnt found it could suggest a mount before running. This would be relatively easy compared to what I've done so far.

But they shouldnt default to internal, extsystem mounts at /system in recovery and intsystem mounts at /system_internal

I do plan to add multiboot support in the boot image (and maybe recovery) I also am trying to use the mtd blocks as swap.
    Thanked by:
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by TechVendetta View Post
    ... As far as generic zips, I'm assuming you mean ones that don't specify a mount path for system? See the problem with that is to allow that you would need to mount both internal and external at /system, however, doing so would break the ability to backup both internal and external system. I suppose one solution would be to add a scanner that parses the recovery script looking for a mount command. Then if one isnt found it could suggest a mount before running. This would be relatively easy compared to what I've done so far.

But they shouldnt default to internal, extsystem mounts at /system in recovery and intsystem mounts at /system_internal...
    ah, but the line
    Code:
    run_program("/tmp/busybox","mount","-o","rw,remount","/system");
    in updater-script mounts the MTD partition to /system regardless of the fstab. I think it's using the atag partition data.
    donate!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That's odd, that line should use the os2sd mount at /system... I suppose I can script in backwards compatibility, maybe even internal to external ROM conversion. Any other script lines like that to filter for?

Posted via Android Central App
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by TechVendetta View Post
    That's odd, that line should use the os2sd mount at /system... I suppose I can script in backwards compatibility, maybe even internal to external ROM conversion. Any other script lines like that to filter for?

Posted via Android Central App
    I think it's busybox borking it up. but similar lines for /data. the "-o blah blah" doesn't matter.
    //edit: at least yours flashes those zips to internal, the cwm6.0.4.5 and up error when trying to mount like that unless the partition is already mounted.

and, know what? it just flashed CrossBreeder 12-1 to ext without any tweaking. Maybe my earlier tests were bunk... sorry :/
    donate!

ROM
    it changes so much

I successfully flashed the 2/21/14 supersquid rom OS2SD 4.4 rom but i cant get gapps to flash
    beamed from the mothership...
    but its only a proxy for my
    lubuntu 12.04
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by A-android-B View Post
    I successfully flashed the 2/21/14 supersquid rom OS2SD 4.4 rom but i cant get gapps to flash
    use the skinny-gapps-sd from skinbark's download folder. Or try mounting /system (or /ext-system if it's there) in the mounts menu before flashing the regular skinny gapps.
    donate!
    Thanked by:

Defect!!!! Your recovery is just a black screen!!!! Squiddie makes better recovries than you!!!
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Campanile View Post
    Defect!!!! Your recovery is just a black screen!!!! Squiddie makes better recovries than you!!!
    bad flash. try again. you'll have to use terminal since the recovery isn't working.
    Code:
    su
    flash_image recovery /storage/sdcard0/Download/recovery.img
    if you downloaded it to the card in the phone. else put it in the Download folder on the card.
    the fakeflash I uploaded is skinbark's patched into a cm7-era CWM fakeflash zip. That wasn't really mine either.
    donate!

I used flash image gui. Is that the wrong way?
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

you can use that. just flash it again, it didn't go in right the first time.
    donate!
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Ah, think I figured it out.
    CrossBreeder and other scripts that use the half-***ed 'mount /system' format instead of specifying where it mounts from, will flash to whatever /system /data and /cache are currently mounted. I added instructions for that to my ROM thread and set TWRP as the preferred recovery now.
    donate!
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Xperion

This really is a disrespectful way to ask for help. These good people invest their own time and energy into massive projects to extend the usefulness of dated hardware. It's a labor of love and if they don't feel appreciated they run out of reasons to share their work. If your statement was made in good humor, it's good etiquette to include an emoticon to indicate that. I don't mean to lay into you, but I know I would be angered if that statement were aimed at me.

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk 2
    #_ Guru-to-Noob Translator C:/_ .

Yeah, Casey - you need to be polite and nice to people if you want them to help you. If you happen to be as young as your photo, maybe you haven't learned this yet. Just keep doing a lot of reading and learning from others with more experience. Look at how they describe issues they are having and how they ask for help and respond to each other. They are a very helpful and hardworking group of people.

All the people here are volunteers trying to help each other out. Be grateful to them - they are not being paid for this, you know. Otherwise, you will just find yourself ignored and on your own.

The recovery looks very nice! Loved the portal/android graphic - LOL.

I couldn't get usb storage to work from it, but it may be lack of experience on my part. The sdcard is already set up and working with os2sd. When I try to mount sdcard storage from your recovery, the computer bings for a new device but doesn't pop up the explorer window it should for a new file device.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow.
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Quote Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
    The recovery looks very nice! Loved the portal/android graphic - LOL.

I couldn't get usb storage to work from it, but it may be lack of experience on my part. The sdcard is already set up and working with os2sd. When I try to mount sdcard storage from your recovery, the computer bings for a new device but doesn't pop up the explorer window it should for a new file device.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow.
    that part is broken yet afaik.

Great your recovery messed me up techvendetta. My apps can not get root access. Superuser request not responding. Help! What should I do?
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

Great your recovery messed me up techvendetta. My apps can not get root access. Superuser request not responding. Help! What should I do?
    like everybody else says, be nice or you'll not get more help. chill. I doubt anyone will give more nice warnings.

when you get errors like that with any rom, wipe system data and cache then reflash it again in recovery.

Recovery is black screen remember? I can't use it! I can't flash new one due to root issue! What should I do?
    o_O

ROM
    bigsuperROM_os2sd

you'll have to see if adb works in the black recovery. if it does you can reflash it from there.
    donate!

I love the recovery so far! I don't use all the features.. (I flashed the kitkat from the other thread, just because I need mms.:x)

I'm having a bit of a problem flashing the int2ext scripts though.. I only have one sd-ext, meant for internal (with the int2ext script mentioned)
    Am I right that I need to mount OS2SD system and internal system first?

I used flash image gui. Is that the wrong way?
    Casey and others new to phone rooting/hacking/testing:

I can't emphasize this enough. Most of the people experimenting with recoveries and kitkat roms in the Optimus Rooting, ROMs and Hacks forums are doing so on a second/spare phone. Things are not yet stable enough to be installing this stuff on your main phone that you need to have everything working on unless you really know what you are doing.

Unless you are a developer or someone who has been doing this sort of stuff for a while and knows his way around adb, you are quite likely to end up with a messed up phone. Using adb running on your computer gives you the option to interact with both the rom and the recovery via usb - either can be used to recover the other. And you never want to change both of them at the same time - it's too risky! By using your backup/spare/extra phone for testing/experimenting you don't need to panic when things don't work or there's a problem. The spare phone I use for playing with kitkat stuff was given to me by a friend when he upgraded to a new phone and provider. They are also available pretty cheaply on places like ebay.

If you only have one Optimus phone and you need for everything to work then you should be running Mirage's gingerbread rom on it. It is the most stable and well-tested rom for this phone, by far. Yes, it's only gingerbread, but everything works well and it's stable and reliable. Mrg666 still maintains it to this day and integrates any updates that are needed. Thanks, Mrg666!

If this is your only phone and you do not know how to use adb to work with both a recovery and a rom from your computer using a usb cable, then you are in great danger of bricking your phone. And that is a royal pain to recover from and there is a risk that you will not be able to use your phone to make regular phone calls again. Do some searching in the Optimus forums about phone unbricking and critical information you should preserve before messing with it. Is it a ZV4 or ZV5? Does it have the new screen or the old screen? Have you recorded the AAA and HA shared secret values for your phone? At the rate you're going, you may need the recovery information! And, given your attitude, don't be expecting people to jump through many hoops to help you.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast