Help! ADB problems in TWRP recovery (no OS or SD card) Phone keeps showing up as "MTP USB Device"...

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Help! ADB problems in TWRP recovery (no OS or SD card) Phone keeps showing up as "MTP USB Device"...

So, long story short, I flashed the OS2SD kitkat rom floating around. Its amazing!

There's all this free space when everything is on the SD card!

Until my SD card crapped out on me. Ugh.

Right now, I have a phone with a functional TWRP OS2SD recovery, but nothing else. SD card is totally borked.

My last shot is ADB, or I'll just be without a phone for a week until I can get another SD card. ie, not an option!

ADB Sideload doesn't work without an SD card. >.>

I've spent the last 2 hours trying to get ADB installed. It *looks* like it should work- Android-sdk-windows has all the right files.

I updated my Java software.

I go to Device Manager, and the "phone" shows up as MTP USB Device
There is also an option at the top of device manager for 'ADB Interface -> Android Sooner Single ADB Interface'

Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck, since the phone isn't being listed properly in device manager.
I have the distinct feeling that the phone isn't in USB debugging mode, but in this recovery I don't see an option.

If anyone can help me, anything and everything is greatly appreciated.

EDIT-
When I leave recovery and let the phone attempt to boot (black screen), an option on Device Manager appears, under 'other devices' called simply 'Android'. Unfortunately other than getting my hopes up, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help! ADB problems in TWRP recovery (no OS or SD card) Phone keeps showing up as "MTP USB Device

Sooner single adb interface should be what you need

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help! ADB problems in TWRP recovery (no OS or SD card) Phone keeps showing up as "MTP USB Device

Um, thanks for the post but I have no idea what that means.. >.>

I have loads of experience flashing roms and recoveries, but I've never touched ADB before.

Ah, googled it and downloading.
Er, or I would if I could find it. I'm still looking. >.>

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Anyone happen to have a link to that file? I can't find it anywhere...

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

YAY finally got ADB working, and it recognizes the device (somewhat, anyways. It reads 0123456789ABCDEF, but at least recognizes that it's in recovery...)

What is the path for the internal storage?

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

update-

I got ADB to push a file, and everything works. It shows up in the recovery's file manager.
Now, if only I could flash a zip from internal... but no cigar.

I have a feeling like I'm only about 5 minutes from being done, if only I knew what I was doing.
Er, do I have to move every file in the rom individually, or...

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Did you save a backup of ROM to your computer?
Might have to flash each partition using fastboot commands.
Let me check what needs pulled from the backup. That is, if you have a backup.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

update-

I got ADB to push a file, and everything works. It shows up in the recovery's file manager.
Now, if only I could flash a zip from internal... but no cigar.

I have a feeling like I'm only about 5 minutes from being done, if only I knew what I was doing.
Er, do I have to move every file in the rom individually, or...

Did you save a backup of ROM to your computer?
Might have to flash each partition using fastboot commands.
Let me check what needs pulled from the backup. That is, if you have a backup.
I can find a mirage boot and system.img for you... and you can push it to /data and flash it in recovery with adb.
I'll specify shortly.

//edit: oh, it's probably the most recent version of PAC thekraven released instead. beggars can't be choosers, though. belay that, PAC's too big to fit politely on /data. Pretty sure the one I dug up is mirage.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Ok.
get this zip here.
unzip it on your pc. it has boot.img and system.img, I'm pretty sure Mirage.
in TWRP, mount internal data.
use adb:
Code:
adb push /where/is/your/unzipped/file/boot.img /data/
adb push /where/is/your/unzipped/file/system.img /data/
adb shell flash_image boot /data/boot.img
adb shell flash_image system /data/system.img
after those succeed,
in TWRP format internal data, internal cache, and reboot.

Last edited:

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Hey bigsupersquid: Doesn't the OP have to put the boot.img and system.img in the platform-tools folder of the SDK (where the adb.exe is) and then open a terminal in the platform-tools folder if he's going to be able to push them to /data/ ?
Wouldn't fastboot commands be better/easier. The OP could flash the boot.img to the boot partition and the system.img to the system partition.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

lead on, Andy. didn't know if had zv4 baseband and firmware flashing seems excessive while adb works...I'm outta touch with all the windows trickery
Hey bigsupersquid: Doesn't the OP have to put the boot.img and system.img in the platform-tools folder of the SDK (where the adb.exe is) and then open a terminal in the platform-tools folder if he's going to be able to push them to /data/ ?
Wouldn't fastboot commands be better/easier. The OP could flash the boot.img to the boot partition and the system.img to the system partition.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

Even without the fastboot screen showing after normal adb reboot bootloader command, I think the ZV5 can still have the partitions flashed with fastboot commands.
Was helping a member a while ago with a ZV5 using sammyz's KDZ unbrick guide. It didn't take, so I needed him to erase the partitions with fastboot commands somehow. We tried several things until he just gave the command to get it into the fastboot screen (blank/black screen was all he got). He whent ahead and gave all the erase commands using fastboot, ran the KDZ again and it took.
So there is some hope that it will work.
Of course adb would be the first choice with a ZV5 V, but there might be fastboot if that doesn't work.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

zv5 always just reboots on me when I tell it reboot bootloader.
whatever works, though!
I was just wanting to put up a solution for issues caused by installing my experiment :p
I will think about a safety feature to fix breakage on boot without card. with twrp source I could make an option to flash from /data... at least a script to run in adb.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site

I think the reason it went to the bootloader (even though it was a blank/black scree) was the recovery partition was borked good enough before the KDZ was attempted that the firmware flashing couldn't flash the recovery. I had the same problem with my ZV4, only I had a visible fastboot screen.

Redchigh

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I'm starting to havr sd-card problems again, so Im going to save these files now..

- - - Updated - - -

I'm starting to havr sd-card problems again, so Im going to save these files now..

- - - Updated - - -

unkellsam

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

YAY finally got ADB working, and it recognizes the device (somewhat, anyways. It reads 0123456789ABCDEF, but at least recognizes that it's in recovery...)

What is the path for the internal storage?

Hey can you please elaborate on what you did to get ADB to work from TWRP? Thanks.

BradN2

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Maybe you could do a bind mount from the terminal command to make another area (data? cache?) show up as /sdcard?