Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

ROM
    Stock - Unrooted for now.

Thanks for the instructions made rooting my first Android easy. I've already a recommended that some users over on XDA come here for rooting too since their instructions require downgrading to 2.2. When I get enough posts in I'll throw in a link to this sticky or maybe you could place a sticky over there.

I'm trying to follow this procedure. I needed the as well as the JRE. Downloading now.

Edit 1:
    I accepted all updates on the Android SDK, and it's taking forever; even on a fairly fast connection ....

Edit 2:
    The instructions worked perfectly. I'm running superuser and titanium backup on my phone.
    Now on to the custom recovery thread ...
    Thanks. No feedback other than adding the JDK to the necessary items list. Maybe add the .net framework that superoneclick needs to the list as well.

Edit 3:
    I have custom recovery installed per the thread linked in the OP.

Thanks folks!
    Last edited by Fletch888; 02-06-2011 at 08:24 PM.

I can't get mine to root. Super one click freezes when attempting to root my device. Also under device manager it says adb interface Android sooner adb interface with a yellow warning sign. I've rooted about 20 phones so I am not sure whats going on. Maybe my new xp is crap.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by darrenb1988 View Post
    I can't get mine to root. Super one click freezes when attempting to root my device. Also under device manager it says adb interface Android sooner adb interface with a yellow warning sign. I've rooted about 20 phones so I am not sure whats going on. Maybe my new xp is crap.
    My initial guess would be that the Android SDK did not install correctly. I would try uninstalling it completely along with the LG USB drivers, and then reinstalling them. I haven't tried the process on XP, nor do I have an XP to test with, so I can't verify that it works on XP. Anyone else have success on XP?

I managed to root and uninstall some bloat.

Problem is I lost google voice search, apparently when I removed the default browser, which it is hard coded into. My titanium backup isn't letting me recover, and I can't even find any of the deleted apps in the directory, eventhough I backed everything up.

Any ideas on how I can just put the browser back on?
    I reinstalled Voice search from market, which updated the version to 2.1.1, but I still have the same problem.
    Last edited by tzzoooma; 02-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by tzzoooma View Post
    Any ideas on how I can just put the browser back on?
    I reinstalled Voice search from market, which updated the version to 2.1.1, but I still have the same problem.
    If you made a nandroid backup, you can unzip it and grab the file from it. Google programs are stored on the phone as files with an .apk extension, so if you look in system/app, it should be there. Alternatively, you can flash a rom that still has it, or try googling Browser.apk and see if you come up with anything.
    ARP

This question may betray my newness to Android (I bought my first device four days ago and rooted it tonight), but here it goes anyway:

I followed these directions to create a stock boot and recovery image before rooting my device:

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionRed View Post
    Open up a command window and cd to your android/platform-tools directory.

type the following
    adb shell (logs you into the phone, you should see the # prompt)
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/stock-boot.img
    cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/stock-recovery.img
    exit

You should now have two files on your sd card called stock-boot.img and stock-recovery.img.
    Now, I currently have dsixda's kitchen installed on Ubuntu and would like to modify the stock ROM. In order to do this, I need stock boot.img and system.img files. Are the recovery.img and system.img files identical? In other words, can I just rename "stock-recovery.img" to "system.img" for use in dsixda's kitchen? If not, where can I find a bone-stock system image?

Thanks!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by ARP View Post

Now, I currently have dsixda's kitchen installed on Ubuntu and would like to modify the stock ROM. In order to do this, I need stock boot.img and system.img files. Are the recovery.img and system.img files identical? In other words, can I just rename "stock-recovery.img" to "system.img" for use in dsixda's kitchen? If not, where can I find a bone-stock system image?

Thanks!
    Unfortunately, the recovery.img is not the same as the system.img. Fortunately, there are already a couple of dumps of the system.img on the forum. Check HERE for example. Download the nandroid backup, and you'll be able to extract with 7-zip to grab the stock images.
    Thanked by:
    ARP 
    Banned

ROM
    RodimusROM v1.2.2

Curious question, I am a newb to all of this so I do apologize if this was already answered in another thread on the forum or what not, though I figured with all the helpfulness that this thread has provided thus far, more could be found with my said inquiry.

I just bought my Optimus V about 3 or 4 days ago, I love it, I didn't root it via this thread's directions (Though from reading it they do sound very easy and helpful) but none the less I figured out how to root it and I installed a custom recovery etc etc etc. My question is... with all these kernels and ROMs floating about, I've yet for the life of me been able to figure out how and where to download Gingerbread and upgrade my phone from Froyo.

Yeah I have a custom ROM and kernel... but what I really want is the latest and greatest updates... and perhaps some apps that you would normally have to pay for, for free... lol.

Anyone have any need to know information on how I would go about getting Gingerbread for my phone? All I've been able to find is the developer's platform for Gingerbread, but not the actual upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmock View Post
    Anyone have any need to know information on how I would go about getting Gingerbread for my phone? All I've been able to find is the developer's platform for Gingerbread, but not the actual upgrade.
    There are a few people over at xda-developers forum that are working on a Gingerbread port for the LG Optimus variants, but I wouldn't really recommend using it yet. A lot of things are still broken.

If you made a nandroid backup, you can unzip it and grab the file from it. Google programs are stored on the phone as files with an .apk extension, so if you look in system/app, it should be there. Alternatively, you can flash a rom that still has it, or try googling Browser.apk and see if you come up with anything.
    I tried everything you suggested, and made my nandroid backup after I did the titanium. The couple of browser.apk on the web didn't work. Would anyone be able to put their browser.apk on the web someplace for me to try, before I do a full system flash? Thanks if you can.
    ARP

Unfortunately, the recovery.img is not the same as the system.img. Fortunately, there are already a couple of dumps of the system.img on the forum. Check HERE for example. Download the nandroid backup, and you'll be able to extract with 7-zip to grab the stock images.
    As I prefer the do-it-yourself route (hoping to learn more about the process that way), could I obtain the stock image by simply making a nandroid backup of my phone and extracting the boot.img and system.img files? I have rooted my phone and installed superuser + Titanium Backup, but otherwise made no changes. Would this still be a "stock" system.img? I'm unclear as to what, exactly, is contained within the system image.

Again, thanks for all of the help! I'm documenting things as I go along so that I can help other newbies in the future.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by ARP View Post
    As I prefer the do-it-yourself route (hoping to learn more about the process that way), could I obtain the stock image by simply making a nandroid backup of my phone and extracting the boot.img and system.img files? I have rooted my phone and installed superuser + Titanium Backup, but otherwise made no changes. Would this still be a "stock" system.img? I'm unclear as to what, exactly, is contained within the system image.

Again, thanks for all of the help! I'm documenting things as I go along so that I can help other newbies in the future.
    Yes, you could obtain the system image by doing a nandroid backup and extracting the system.img file. You can think of the .img files as being similar to a CD .ISO file (or disk image), it's one big file that represents an entire filesystem (or the case of the phone, specific areas of the phone's memory). Your .img file wouldn't be stock in the sense that you have the phone rooted and have installed titanium backup, and those changes are captured in the system.img file, but it would work fine as a base to tear apart and start cooking a rom. The contents of the various img file are as follows:

boot.img - Operating System Kernel, images, and configuration files necessary to start the phone (e.g. fom the time you press the power button, to the time the virgin mobile logo goes away)

recovery.img - Contains the program that helps restore your phone in the event of failure. When your press power+home+down when you boot, the menu you get is running off of the recovery.img. Alternatively, you can go to your platform-tools folder and type "adb reboot recovery" to get here. A custom recovery is flashed to this partition.

system.img - Contains the applications and drivers for the system. Basically, once your phone is booted (after the virgin mobile logo disappears) it's running off of the system.img. This isn't strictly true, because the kernel is still running, but it's a general guideline to help you understand what's where.
    Thanked by 2:
    ARPHF#AC 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by tzzoooma View Post
    I tried everything you suggested, and made my nandroid backup after I did the titanium. The couple of browser.apk on the web didn't work. Would anyone be able to put their browser.apk on the web someplace for me to try, before I do a full system flash? Thanks if you can.
    Probably because your rom is still odexed, while all the ones online are deoxded. Google that to get a description of what it is. I've attached a zip file containing the original apk and odex files for the V browser. They both need to go into your system/app folder.

To get them there, do the following:
    1. Extract the files in the zip to the c:\android\platform-tools folder.
    2. Start up a command window
    3. Go to android\platform-tools\ folder
    4. type:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw /system /system
    exit
    adb push browser.apk /system/app
    adb push browser.odex /system/app
    adb reboot

Hopefully your phone starts and the browser works. If not, not much you can do besides use takehull's method to restore your phone to stock and start over.

Browser Files:
    Last edited by RevolutionRed; 02-10-2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Thanked by:

That worked perfectly, thanks again.

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Is it possible to undo this, because what it seems like is being done here is just uploading two applications (busybox & su) and then changing the permissions on them?

So undoing this should be fairly easy, by removing the applications (busy box & su)? This seems like very non-destructive and good way to root the device.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by r00t View Post
    Is it possible to undo this, because what it seems like is being done here is just uploading two applications (busybox & su) and then changing the permissions on them?

So undoing this should be fairly easy, by removing the applications (busy box & su)? This seems like very non-destructive and good way to root the device.
    Indeed. This is the least destructive way possible to root the V. No custom recovery, No modified rom or other files, etc. Undoing the root is as easy as deleting the two files and uninstalling the SuperUser app. That said, once people have root they typically like to dive into the inner workings of the phone and fool around. Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself. But if you just want root and nothing else, this is the least destructive way to do it.
    Thanked by:
    r00t 
    Banned

ROM
    RodimusROM v1.2.2

So that's it? Just XDA? That site confuses me to no end, but I'll try seeing what is going on over thre. It's unfortunate that no one here knows anything else, I thought Gingerbread came out around November last year?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Desmock View Post
    So that's it? Just XDA? That site confuses me to no end, but I'll try seeing what is going on over thre. It's unfortunate that no one here knows anything else, I thought Gingerbread came out around November last year?
    Just to clarify, gingerbread DID come out, but only on select devices. Not all phones have gingerbread yet. Many may never get it at all. The Optimus series does not have gingerbread yet. This is because certain parts of the Android Operating System are device specific (like the kernel for instance). This means that we either have to wait until LG makes those parts for our phone, or create them ourselves.

When ejdme says some people at XDA are porting gingerbread to our phone, what he means is they are trying to create NEW parts to Android that do not yet exist (since LG has not created them yet) in order to make gingerbread work on the optimus. This is a slow process. It may not be done before LG gets around to putting gingerbread on the phone. In the meantime, the best you can do are custom roms, or join up with a group attempting to do it and code some of it yourself. Addtionally, there are people in this forum working on it, but as far as I know, it's not functional yet. I hope that helps explain the situation.

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Indeed. This is the least destructive way possible to root the V. No custom recovery, No modified rom or other files, etc. Undoing the root is as easy as deleting the two files and uninstalling the SuperUser app. That said, once people have root they typically like to dive into the inner workings of the phone and fool around. Nothing wrong with that, I do it myself. But if you just want root and nothing else, this is the least destructive way to do it.
    Thanks for the quick reply, I just rooted it. Mostly it was a very smooth process, just at the very end it wouldn't reboot and went into a black screen state after "adb reboot" commands. It wasn't a big deal, removing the battery and putting it back in rebooted the device just fine. Both Superuser and TitaniumBackup confirmed the rooting.

Thank you for this very elegant tutorial. I think it's one of the best rooting guides.

ROM
    CM7.2-IHO-MiRaGe

Quote Originally Posted by cnega View Post
    I kept having trouble with some of the commands but when I figured out that I shouldn't hit spacebar between some of the characters I was ok.
    I agree, the forums should enable CODE tags with better fonts to distinguish letter spacing. The regular font face does get confusing for command line codes.

Ready?
    Step 1: Plug your phone into your PC with the USB cable.

Step 2: Make sure the phone is charge only (don't mount as USB drive) and USB debugging is enabled. Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > check mark USB debugging
    Maybe this is where I am having problems. I am running Windows XP on an old sony vaio and every time I plug my phone into the USB it pops up with the "new hardware found and mounts it as USB drive. How do I stop this? Should I stop this?

I went through all of the directions and TitaniumBackup is still showing that I do not have it rooted.
    SO I'm confused as to where I am going wrong.

Sorry I am a completely new to any of this. Any help will be appreciated.

Everything went fine with rooting my new Optimus V. Thanks for posting these great instructions RevolutionRed! This n00b salutes you and your efforts!

Everything goes well until I enter "exit" (then it cant find any of the files)

Help!

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Regarding Step 4, I don't think you need to suid (e.g, chmod 4755) busybox:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    exit
    adb push su /system/bin
    adb push busybox /system/bin
    adb shell
    cd /system/bin
    chmod 4755 su
    chmod 4755 busybox
    exit
    adb reboot
    I would change that line to:
    chmod 555 busybox
    This is better for a security perspective. Only the su command needs to be suid root.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast