Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by whats in a name View Post
    Maybe this is where I am having problems. I am running Windows XP on an old sony vaio and every time I plug my phone into the USB it pops up with the "new hardware found and mounts it as USB drive. How do I stop this? Should I stop this?

I went through all of the directions and TitaniumBackup is still showing that I do not have it rooted.
    SO I'm confused as to where I am going wrong.

Sorry I am a completely new to any of this. Any help will be appreciated.
    My best guess is that your USB drivers did not install correctly. Try uninstalling them and re installing them according to the directions in the first post. Someone else with XP reported a problem earlier in the thread, and I told them to try to the same thing. I didn't hear back whether it worked or not. It may just be a problem on XP.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Hax View Post
    Everything goes well until I enter "exit" (then it cant find any of the files)

Help!

Sounds like you may have forgotten to unzip the attached file into your platform-tools directory. Browse to that directory and verify that the files are there before you start. Let me know if that's not the problem.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by larryc View Post
    Regarding Step 4, I don't think you need to suid (e.g, chmod 4755) busybox:

I would change that line to:
    chmod 555 busybox
    This is better for a security perspective. Only the su command needs to be suid root.
    Good point. Occasionally third party tools such a Titanium Backup require the use of busybox to do their thing. I'm not sure what kind of permissions they require. Did you try this by using 555, and if so, did it work?

Nope, both of the files are there.

Default What about using a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionRed View Post
    My best guess is that your USB drivers did not install correctly. Try uninstalling them and re installing them according to the directions in the first post. Someone else with XP reported a problem earlier in the thread, and I told them to try to the same thing. I didn't hear back whether it worked or not. It may just be a problem on XP.
    So if it is XP... (I'll try again tomorrow evening and let you know...)
    Does anyone know how to get root using MAC?
    I'm running snow leopard and I can't find any threads about using a Mac to root an android.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Nope, both of the files are there.
    Hmm.. Ok, what are there exact errors you are getting? I'll see if I can't figure out what's up.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by whats in a name View Post
    So if it is XP... (I'll try again tomorrow evening and let you know...)
    Does anyone know how to get root using MAC?
    I'm running snow leopard and I can't find any threads about using a Mac to root an android.
    Hypothetically you could do thing same thing from a Mac or a Linux box with the android SDK installed, but you'd have to do the SuperOneClick part manually. It simply automates a few ADB commands (like the ones you type at the end) to run a file on your phone that gives you a temporary root.

HERE is site that has a little information about how to use psneuter (which is the name of the program SuperOneClick runs to give you temporary root access). Do a little research on it and you should be able to crack the phone from a Mac or Linux box as well.

Hmm.. Ok, what are there exact errors you are getting? I'll see if I can't figure out what's up.
    Take a look at the screen shot I attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [How-To] Root the LG Optimus V-helpme.jpg  
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Take a look at the screen shot I attached.
    You need to be in the correct folder to run the commands. adb only exists in the platform-tools folder. Type this after you exit:

c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\

After that. your prompt should look like:

c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

instead of

c:\users\eric>

then try the adb push command again. Let me know if this works for you.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Good point. Occasionally third party tools such a Titanium Backup require the use of busybox to do their thing. I'm not sure what kind of permissions they require. Did you try this by using 555, and if so, did it work?
    Yes, it worked.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #61  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by larryc View Post
    Yes, it worked.
    Fixed in original post.
    Thanked by:
    larryc 

wow just wow, a 5 minute root guide. It worked perfectly thanks
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroxasch View Post
    wow just wow, a 5 minute root guide. It worked perfectly thanks
    Well, 5 minutes after you've downloaded and installed all the prerequisites.

You need to be in the correct folder to run the commands. adb only exists in the platform-tools folder. Type this after you exit:

c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\

After that. your prompt should look like:

c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

instead of

c:\users\eric>

then try the adb push command again. Let me know if this works for you.
    Now i'm getting this error. Thanks for your help so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails [How-To] Root the LG Optimus V-help.png  
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Now i'm getting this error. Thanks for your help so far!
    doh! I'm a moron. I forgot to tell you to put in a cd (change directory) before typing that line. After you type exit, enter:

cd c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\
    Thanked by:
    Dr.Hax 

Success! Thank you so much!

+Rep

Does this overwrite any stock files? It's pushing su and busybox. Are either of those being overwritten?

Someone with a stock phone, please check this and post the stock versions if they exist.

To save the stock programs, follow step 1 through 3 of RevolutionRed's guide, and do the "cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is" command in step 4. Then issue the following commands:
    adb shell
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
    exit
    adb pull /system/bin/su stock-su
    adb pull /system/bin/busybox stock-busybox
    If there is no stock file, the adb pull command will return the following message:
    remote object '/system/bin/<filename>' does not exist
    If either of the pull commands succeeds, please post the resulting file.
    Thank you thank you!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

Quote Originally Posted by denshigomi View Post
    Does this overwrite any stock files? It's pushing su and busybox. Are either of those being overwritten?

Someone with a stock phone, please check this and post the stock versions if they exist.

To save the stock programs, follow step 1 through 3 of RevolutionRed's guide, and do the "cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is" command in step 4. Then issue the following commands:

If there is no stock file, the adb pull command will return the following message:

If either of the pull commands succeeds, please post the resulting file.
    Thank you thank you!
    Nope. The files don't exist the stock rom. Both the files are pushed with the express purpose of giving you root access to your file system. To unroot the phone, simply delete the files.
    Thanked by:

Hello,
    I am a new android user (bought my phone today), and I just rooted my LG Optimus V. How do I flash custom ROMs onto it?
    Thanks!

Nope. The files don't exist the stock rom. Both the files are pushed with the express purpose of giving you root access to your file system. To unroot the phone, simply delete the files.
    Whew! I thought I had obliterated stock files without a backup. You're my hero. ^_____^

Quote Originally Posted by iCr34t1ve View Post
    Hello,
    I am a new android user (bought my phone today), and I just rooted my LG Optimus V. How do I flash custom ROMs onto it?
    Thanks!
    Here you go:
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...tml#post592506

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Thanks for this - just got this phone... downsized our budget for it. I've had/hacked a Droid 1, HTC Incredible, and Droid X. I'm not able to find much info about the stock kernel that comes on the Opt-V - do you have any idea how much, if any, it can be OC'd?

Quote Originally Posted by jntdroid View Post
    Thanks for this - just got this phone... downsized our budget for it. I've had/hacked a Droid 1, HTC Incredible, and Droid X. I'm not able to find much info about the stock kernel that comes on the Opt-V - do you have any idea how much, if any, it can be OC'd?
    RevolutionRed got it to 825Mhz
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...-beta-2-a.html

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by denshigomi View Post
    it sounds like that's a custom kernel, though, not stock

with the Droid and Droid X, the stock 2.2 kernel was overclockable, and i prefer to have my phone be straight-up stock with root, and a little OC - I typically don't like messing with custom ROMs (any more, anyway! )

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

it sounds like that's a custom kernel, though, not stock

with the Droid and Droid X, the stock 2.2 kernel was overclockable, and i prefer to have my phone be straight-up stock with root, and a little OC - I typically don't like messing with custom ROMs (any more, anyway! )
    i guess once I get root access I can just try it and see what it can do, but I was hoping to just hear from someone who has already tried it with the stock kernel before I started tinkering
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #75  

ROM
    Xionia V/Custom Rom

i guess once I get root access I can just try it and see what it can do, but I was hoping to just hear from someone who has already tried it with the stock kernel before I started tinkering
    Unfortunately, there is no way to overclock with the stock kernel. However, there are 2 or 3 kernels floating around that should work, if you want to test a few. Any kernel that works on the optimus S should work on the V, although some have a few issues.

Additionally, for everyone that cares, there's a port of Gingerbread (Android 2.3) for the S that's reported working on the V.
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast