Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 972
Like Tree23Likes
  1. #101  

    Default

    I just figured out what I was doing wrong, I misread one of the instructions and was trying to go to the wrong folder.. I think it worked now, I'm installing superuser and titatanium backup right now..

    EDIT:

    seems to have worked! thanks!
    Last edited by omgwtfmason; 02-27-2011 at 04:20 PM.
  2. #102  

    Default

    how do i backup the phone
  3. #103  

    Exclamation Noob with minor issues...

    So Everything was going fine till I got to the command

    adb push su /system/bin

    that command and a couple to follow are giving me problems and an error saying

    cannot stat 'su' : no such file or directory

    Please Help.......


    ***UPDATE***

    Sorry BIG NOOB mistake

    Didnt extract the attached files to the right destination the first time. If anyone has this problem that is your answer!!

    Thank You uploader this was my first Root and and is officially ROOTED!!!
    Last edited by SkeetSkizzle; 02-27-2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
  4. #104  

    Default

    Thanks a bunch!!! My first Android rooted and it wasn't too hard. Took me longer to download and install everything on the computer. I ran into a few fumbles, all my fault. But I recovered and got the right prompts saying I have root access. Sweet!

    Next step I want to create a backup. ROM Manager doesn't seem to do the trick so no onto more digging
  5. #105  

    Default

    nvm I am an *****
    Last edited by geekor; 03-01-2011 at 07:16 PM.
  6. #106  

    Default

    Took me two tries but it was user error! Thanks!
  7. #107  

    Default

    I had a quick question. Do I have to activate the phone with VM before doing the rooting procedure?
  8. #108  

    Default

    I followed the procedure here to root the phone, downloaded and installed superuser and Ti backup, then backed up the recovery img and then installed the custom recovery from the other thread. I'm not sure though if my V has a permanent root or not. I can run Ti backup and it says it's rooted, but I still cannot delete any bloatware (from the App Settings). To start an abd shell I have to still use superoneclick, if not I get the $ not the #. Once permanently rooted, do you still need to use superoneclick or can you just open up a cmd prompt and go?

    Nvrmind. I can adb without superoneclick now for some reason. Moved to the RedRom so no bloatware included, but it is still puzzling to me that I could not uninstall the VM apps.
    Last edited by Kroot; 03-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
  9. #109  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kroot View Post
    I followed the procedure here to root the phone, downloaded and installed superuser and Ti backup, then backed up the recovery img and then installed the custom recovery from the other thread. I'm not sure though if my V has a permanent root or not. I can run Ti backup and it says it's rooted, but I still cannot delete any bloatware (from the App Settings). To start an abd shell I have to still use superoneclick, if not I get the $ not the #. Once permanently rooted, do you still need to use superoneclick or can you just open up a cmd prompt and go?

    Nvrmind. I can adb without superoneclick now for some reason. Moved to the RedRom so no bloatware included, but it is still puzzling to me that I could not uninstall the VM apps.
    You don't automatically have read/write permissions to the system folder just because you have root. To remove system apps, you have to have a file reader like Root Explorer that can grant R/W permissions to the folder so you can go in and deleted the apk's or use adb commands like the ones here.
    Thanked by:
    Kroot 
  10. #110  

    Default

    I think it all worked. I downloaded Titanium backup and was able to uninstall air g chat, virgin live, twidroid, and where.

    Is there anything else special I can do with my newly rooted phone? I'm kinda scared to do more, but if I could make the phone faster, or the battery last longer somehow that would be great. If not, that was a lot of work to unintall a twitter client, streaming hippy music, and knock-off IM and Places clients.
  11. #111  
    dnaL0R#WN's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default help plz...

    noob here...

    after dl and inst. the jdk, i tried running the android sdk, but it tells me that the jdk is not found...

    i dl the right one [jdk-6u24-windows-x64] from the link provided, but it seemed to have installed the jre version...

    tia
  12. #112  
    dnaL0R#WN's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default

    hmmm, the sdk install wizard keeps telling me java jdk not found... i tired reinstalling, restarting the pc, etc... what am i doing wrong?
  13. #113  

    Default

    Do I have to leave usb debugging on? I have it off now.

    Since I rooted yesterday my 3g connection has been crapping out, though the 3g icon is still there. Also, when I reconnect the phone through usb, the 'turn on usb mass storage' page flashes open and closed until I unplug and plug it back in. Just a few little buggy things that have happened since rooting yesterday.

    Any thoughts?

    Help?
  14. #114  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnaL0R View Post
    hmmm, the sdk install wizard keeps telling me java jdk not found... i tired reinstalling, restarting the pc, etc... what am i doing wrong?
    I had the same issue since I'm running W7x64. Try installing the 32 bit version of the Java. Android installer is looking in the wrong place...
    Thanked by:
  15. #115  
    dnaL0R#WN's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kroot View Post
    I had the same issue since I'm running W7x64. Try installing the 32 bit version of the Java. Android installer is looking in the wrong place...
    worked like a charm, thnx !

    op- might want to add that to the tutorial for win7x64 users.
  16. #116  

    Default

    I followed this guide step-by-step and it couldn't have been easier. I was wondering if there are any benefits to Rooting this way as opposed to doing it through ROMTools and the like?

    I ROOTed using this guide but when I access ROMTools and attempt to "flash recovery to phone" the program seems to think I am not ROOTed and is unable to boot me into recovery. Therefore, I think I will have to ROOT again using ROMTools unless there is another way.

    Thanks for any insight people have to offer!
  17. #117  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BorisBadinov View Post
    I followed this guide step-by-step and it couldn't have been easier. I was wondering if there are any benefits to Rooting this way as opposed to doing it through ROMTools and the like?

    I ROOTed using this guide but when I access ROMTools and attempt to "flash recovery to phone" the program seems to think I am not ROOTed and is unable to boot me into recovery. Therefore, I think I will have to ROOT again using ROMTools unless there is another way.

    Thanks for any insight people have to offer!
    ROMTools doen't root your phone. It lets you skip the rooting process by flashing a custom recovery that lets you flash a pre-rooted ROM
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    ROMTools 2.3.1 - For when ADB commands have got you down.
    RodimusROM - For your Optimus V
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Donate a box of Ramen to a broke college student
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
  18. #118  

    Default

    *Puts on flame ******ant suit*

    Does this work on a stock, 2.2.1 ???

    *Runs for his life*
  19. #119  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HondaCop View Post
    *Puts on flame ******ant suit*

    Does this work on a stock, 2.2.1 ???

    *Runs for his life*
    yup, I just rooted the Optimus V I bought yesterday that has 2.2.1. now to find out what crazy awesome stuff I can do o.O;

    Thanks everyone for the guide and feedback! I wasn't able to root my phone on an XP virtual machine on mom's Mac (maybe because it was a VM, but I had the phone connected to the VM and not host box), but got it done on my 7 Home Premium x64 laptop.
  20. #120  
    Delrahim69's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.6.32.9

    Default

    I have downloaded everything but when I try to run android sdk it says I need to download a JDK, but I already did and installed it. I downloaded kit 6 update 24. Am I installing the wrong JDK?? Please help, new to android os.
  21. #121  
    dnaL0R#WN's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

    Default

    check post #115... that was my problem, hope that helps, gL !
  22. #122  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadpanda View Post
    Do I have to leave usb debugging on? I have it off now.

    Since I rooted yesterday my 3g connection has been crapping out, though the 3g icon is still there. Also, when I reconnect the phone through usb, the 'turn on usb mass storage' page flashes open and closed until I unplug and plug it back in. Just a few little buggy things that have happened since rooting yesterday.

    Any thoughts?

    Help?
    I am having the same issue. I happen to have two of these phones. One is my wife's, so I have a direct comparison between the two. For some reason, the recently rooted phone is quite sluggish and has been having lots of problems with data in comparison to the non-rooted one.
    Anyone else seeing this type of thing?

    BTW, my phone shows the following versions:
    android - 2.2.1
    Baseband - VM670ZV4_60401001
    Build Number - FRG83
    HW - 1.2
  23. #123  

    Default

    Does this method install a custom recovery? Will I be able to install a custom rom if I just follow the steps on the first page?

    Thanks.
  24. #124  

    Default

    The only real reason I wanted to root was to deleate the bloatware.

    Now that I have deleated these apps, can I 'un-root'? If so, any help would be appreciated. I followed the steps in the first post in this forum.

    If I do 'un-root' will I be able to keep these apps uninstalled? If I 'un-root', will I be able to get updated from VM or LG for gingerbread? (I hear that the optimus devices might get the update)

    Thoughts/help?
  25. #125  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delrahim69 View Post
    I have downloaded everything but when I try to run android sdk it says I need to download a JDK, but I already did and installed it. I downloaded kit 6 update 24. Am I installing the wrong JDK?? Please help, new to android os.
    I'm having the exact same problem here. Are we just supposed to down the JDK by itself, or do we need to install all the updates?


    Nevermind....32 bit JDK works like a charm. :P
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions