[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V

Dr.Hax

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
You need to be in the correct folder to run the commands. adb only exists in the platform-tools folder. Type this after you exit:

c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\

After that. your prompt should look like:

c:\android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

instead of

c:\users\eric>

then try the adb push command again. Let me know if this works for you.

Now i'm getting this error. Thanks for your help so far! :D

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Does this overwrite any stock files? It's pushing su and busybox. Are either of those being overwritten?

Someone with a stock phone, please check this and post the stock versions if they exist.

To save the stock programs, follow step 1 through 3 of RevolutionRed's guide, and do the "cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is" command in step 4. Then issue the following commands:
adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system /system
exit
adb pull /system/bin/su stock-su
adb pull /system/bin/busybox stock-busybox
If there is no stock file, the adb pull command will return the following message:
remote object '/system/bin/<filename>' does not exist
If either of the pull commands succeeds, please post the resulting file.
Thank you thank you!

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Does this overwrite any stock files? It's pushing su and busybox. Are either of those being overwritten?

Someone with a stock phone, please check this and post the stock versions if they exist.

To save the stock programs, follow step 1 through 3 of RevolutionRed's guide, and do the "cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is" command in step 4. Then issue the following commands:

If there is no stock file, the adb pull command will return the following message:

If either of the pull commands succeeds, please post the resulting file.
Thank you thank you!

Nope. The files don't exist the stock rom. Both the files are pushed with the express purpose of giving you root access to your file system. To unroot the phone, simply delete the files.

Reactions: denshigomi

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope. The files don't exist the stock rom. Both the files are pushed with the express purpose of giving you root access to your file system. To unroot the phone, simply delete the files.
Whew! I thought I had obliterated stock files without a backup. You're my hero. ^_____^

Hello,
I am a new android user (bought my phone today), and I just rooted my LG Optimus V. How do I flash custom ROMs onto it?
Thanks!
Here you go:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...bile-xionia-kernel-beta-2-a-2.html#post592506

anon175469

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this - just got this phone... downsized our budget for it. I've had/hacked a Droid 1, HTC Incredible, and Droid X. I'm not able to find much info about the stock kernel that comes on the Opt-V - do you have any idea how much, if any, it can be OC'd?

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

anon175469

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

anon175469

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
it sounds like that's a custom kernel, though, not stock

with the Droid and Droid X, the stock 2.2 kernel was overclockable, and i prefer to have my phone be straight-up stock with root, and a little OC - I typically don't like messing with custom ROMs (any more, anyway! :))

i guess once I get root access I can just try it and see what it can do, but I was hoping to just hear from someone who has already tried it with the stock kernel before I started tinkering

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
i guess once I get root access I can just try it and see what it can do, but I was hoping to just hear from someone who has already tried it with the stock kernel before I started tinkering

Unfortunately, there is no way to overclock with the stock kernel. However, there are 2 or 3 kernels floating around that should work, if you want to test a few. Any kernel that works on the optimus S should work on the V, although some have a few issues.

Additionally, for everyone that cares, there's a port of Gingerbread (Android 2.3) for the S that's reported working on the V.

eflitevic213

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck at step 4. when I type the first line, I don't know if I'm suppossed to press "enter" then continue writing the rest? or what should I do.....I rooted my evo and it was alot easier than this phone :( and help will be much apreciated....

PS
is it too much to ask for a simple step by step video??????
Vic.

rcsrich

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Pretty Foolproof?

Hey all- two questions:
1) It seems like this is a pretty safe way to root- I mean, you would have to do something really wacky during the process to potentially brick the phone, right?

2)Am I to understand from an earlier post that there is a recovery function built into this phone as stock (boot with correct keys depressed & you get a recovery menu)?

Sorry- have a rooted Nook color but still pretty new to this and have never used adb!

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck at step 4. when I type the first line, I don't know if I'm suppossed to press "enter" then continue writing the rest? or what should I do.....I rooted my evo and it was alot easier than this phone :( and help will be much apreciated....

PS
is it too much to ask for a simple step by step video??????
Vic.

No step by step video that I know of.. And yes, you press enter after every command.

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey all- two questions:
1) It seems like this is a pretty safe way to root- I mean, you would have to do something really wacky during the process to potentially brick the phone, right?

2)Am I to understand from an earlier post that there is a recovery function built into this phone as stock (boot with correct keys depressed & you get a recovery menu)?

Sorry- have a rooted Nook color but still pretty new to this and have never used adb!

1. The brick probability is very low, I don't know of anyone that's done it yet. You are basically just sending two files to you phone, so I think something would have to go terribly awry in order to brick the phone.

2. Yes, there is a recovery function built in. In you screw up the phone, there is a chance you can get it back with the built in recovery. The built in recovery has a couple of limitations though, one is that you can only use it to flash genuine LG updates. This means that in order to install third party roms, you'll need a need custom recovery function. There's a link to one in the main V forums.

Reactions: rcsrich

rcsrich

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
All is well...

1. The brick probability is very low, I don't know of anyone that's done it yet. You are basically just sending two files to you phone, so I think something would have to go terribly awry in order to brick the phone.

2. Yes, there is a recovery function built in. In you screw up the phone, there is a chance you can get it back with the built in recovery. The built in recovery has a couple of limitations though, one is that you can only use it to flash genuine LG updates. This means that in order to install third party roms, you'll need a need custom recovery function. There's a link to one in the main V forums.

Many thanks RevolutionRed! The phone is rooted and annoying bloatware removed. My only point of confusion during the process was the installation of the Android SDK- it took me a while to figure out that I just needed to select the 2.2 package for install, but probably just my unfamiliarity with it.

Cheers!