Custom Recovery for Optimus V

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Help, Im a newb and performed RevolutionRed perm root method http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html
and successfully acheived permanent root. Now when I try to gain access via adb shell to flash custom recovery I get a "$" and not "#" and permission denied after su cmd. But I know I have perm root because I can delete bloatware and run titanium backup on my phone. How can I fix this ..I want roms! Thanks
  1. Make sure you have Superuser or some other App installed that grants su privileges.
  2. Before you run "su", make sure your phone isn't at the lock screen.
  3. run su
  4. check your phone for the Superuser prompt.
  5. Grant permission via Superuser, and optionally, set Superuser to remember your choice.

Reactions: sdxben

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
  1. Make sure you have Superuser or some other App installed that grants su privileges.
  2. Before you run "su", make sure your phone isn't at the lock screen.
  3. run su
  4. check your phone for the Superuser prompt.
  5. Grant permission via Superuser, and optionally, set Superuser to remember your choice.
Thanks, I actually got it to word with a terminal emulator on my phone, but it took forever to type in. It seems through my computer I wasn't correctly accessing the adb shell. One tip for flashing this custom recovery...make sure you have around 50% memory free on your phone. If you don't, you will get an error message of not enough memory after 2nd to last step. If you do get this message wipe your cache with something like cachemate, before trying again.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
it says it cant find the .img file but i double checked to make sure i t yped everything correctly and the file is on the root directory of the sdcard, but still says it cant find the file. any ideas?

itsnotadam

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
For the LIFE of me i cant install this freaking custom recovery! And i know im fully rooted because as i tried the commands i got a notification from superuser thingy and had to allow it... i have the files in place, and i STILL cant manage to install it! Help?

devgru82

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
For the LIFE of me i cant install this freaking custom recovery! And i know im fully rooted because as i tried the commands i got a notification from superuser thingy and had to allow it... i have the files in place, and i STILL cant manage to install it! Help?

Did you unzip the files?

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
What errors are you getting preventing you from installing it? I had this problem until I deleted a bunch of apps, because my error said (out of memory). Are you using adb or a terminal emulator?

liaibo101

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Hello thanx for the very helpful info.
But i have a question about when i go to download the The custom recovery.
when i go to the link that says (The custom recovery ) when i go to the bottom of the page to get the download i see

Downloads: recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img MD5= ffa2aca9331002318ed733484b60efa2 1.2.0 doesnt support ext3 or ext4 as kernel source is not out for optimus V

But when i go to the (flash_image) download page i also see
Download-recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s.1.1.0.img.zip
Md5 = 6e1afcbcebda3adda43aa76a408ec705

So my question is which do i download ?

sdxben

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello thanx for the very helpful info.
But i have a question about when i go to download the The custom recovery.
when i go to the link that says (The custom recovery ) when i go to the bottom of the page to get the download i see

Downloads: recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img MD5= ffa2aca9331002318ed733484b60efa2 1.2.0 doesnt support ext3 or ext4 as kernel source is not out for optimus V

But when i go to the (flash_image) download page i also see
Download-recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s.1.1.0.img.zip
Md5 = 6e1afcbcebda3adda43aa76a408ec705

So my question is which do i download ?
Download the first "recovery-thunderc-v-1.2.0-GNM.img" The file is out and does exist... just google the file name if the page doesn't link it.

HallOfPromise

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Okay, got the custom recovery flashed and did my first backup. I can now breathe a huge sigh of relief. My only problem now is that I am running very low on my 2gb microSD card. :/ With all of my backups and installed apps on the card it doesn't look like 2gb is enough lol I even had to delete just about all of my music just to make the backup.

The flashing of the custom recovery process wasn't too hard. The few trouble spots I ran into were minor but a pain. The first one was downloading the darn file from the file hosting site. I accidentally lost my connection midway though the download. When I got the connection back up the host wouldn't continue from where it left off nor would it even initiate a new download for the longest time! I had to actually download the file from my phone, which worked rather well. Thanks to the Chrome to Phone app.

My other problem was that I couldn't get adb shell access from my computer for some reason. This is strange because I used them method to root the phone. Now for some reason it can't find its path to the phone. I made sure I wasn't mounted and even re-installed the drivers, and still a no go. So I had to go the long route and use a terminal emulator. What a pain! BUT I got through it and managed.

Thanks for all the help! Now I have a backup and ready to start messing around with things! But first, a new and larger microSD card.

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, got the custom recovery flashed and did my first backup. I can now breathe a huge sigh of relief. My only problem now is that I am running very low on my 2gb microSD card. :/ With all of my backups and installed apps on the card it doesn't look like 2gb is enough lol I even had to delete just about all of my music just to make the backup.
You don't need to keep your backups on the SD card. You can move them onto a computer and free up the space on the SD.

Kane0187

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
:(

I've rooted my phone. Super User says its all fine, no errors. So know I'm trying to get this new ROM to overclock but every time I try to follow these instructions it either says flash_image is a read only file when I try to use the terminal emulator or if I use cmd prompt it says permission denied....
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image I can't get past that. I have both files in the root directory of my sd card. I don't know where to go from here??? If you could give me any suggestions I would really appreciate it

Kane0187

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted my phone. Super User says its all fine, no errors. So know I'm trying to get this new ROM to overclock but every time I try to follow these instructions it either says flash_image is a read only file when I try to use the terminal emulator or if I use cmd prompt it says permission denied....
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image I can't get past that. I have both files in the root directory of my sd card. I don't know where to go from here??? If you could give me any suggestions I would really appreciate it

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

I dunno. Have you remounted system as read/write?
In ADB, when you type "su", make sure your phone's screen is on and unlocked so you can grant the su command permission with Super User.

kingtreadwell2

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I did revolution method (permenant root) I have super user root check and titanium gallobackup they all say I'm rooted but custom recovery isnt working i want roms no $ I want a #! Please help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781