[Retired ROM] Aphrodite 1.3.3 (stable w/Xionia 005) (01apr11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

santino405

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I like the leanness of this rom. However i've download google search and voice search from the market, and the search button does nothing on the home screen.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, voice search was not removed I don't think.
I may have to put Google search back in order to fix the button.

I'm more focused on getting 2.0 going, but we will see. The goal is a newer kernel and complete, ground up build.

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk does need to be located in the /system/app folder for the search button to work properly.

To any users needing the functionality, after you download Google Search from the market, you can manually go in with a file explorer with root permissions such as Root Explorer, navigate to the /data/app folder, move the com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.apk to the /system/app folder and rename the file GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk. Reboot the phone and it should work.
If not, reboot to recovery, wipe & then reboot and it will work.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
1.3 is up.
I took a break from messing with 2.0 to push this out. Enjoy!

Changes in 1.3:
Search button is now fixed and everything should be the up to date, including vendor.apk.
This increases the size of the rom from v.1.0 by 1meg but again, after updates it's smaller then previous releases.
To update previous releases, just flash this over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takenover83

pcp135

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea behind this ROM, which is just put the essential stuff on the phone and let users decide what else they want. I did something similar by rooting and removing the bloatware from VM. When finished, I had 140Mb of space for app installation. It's good to know that if I do a reset for any reason, I can just flash this ROM and get the same or better stage.

I am really interested in OCable kernel and will try this ROM if/when it becomes available. Thanks for the effort LeslieAnn.

shitsucks

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Day five w/ Aphrodite! I'm still using your first release as I don't care about live wallpapers and did not seem to have issues with anything else. I have to say this is my favorite Rom. Today my phone has been unplugged for about 5 1/2 hours and battery level is at 90%. That is with one call and some random web surfing.
P.S. I also removed all of Virgins notifications and the two remaining ringtones ( I never want to hear anthem again)!
Keep up the good work!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Can i have a review of this theme? In terms of speed/ battery life and the flaws? Comparing with other roms helps too .. Thanks :]
There is no theme.

Speed... It's the same as any other 2.2 rom, they all use the same basics. This may be a bit faster to boot and a bit faster due to less running in the background though. This also helps with battery life.

Flaws?
The fact that you have to put time and effort into making it what you want.

Stupid question, but this is a modified 2.2 Froyo since stock was 2.2, correct? :-[
Yes, it is a 2.2 rom.

Day five w/ Aphrodite! I'm still using your first release as I don't care about live wallpapers and did not seem to have issues with anything else. I have to say this is my favorite Rom. Today my phone has been unplugged for about 5 1/2 hours and battery level is at 90%. That is with one call and some random web surfing.
P.S. I also removed all of Virgins notifications and the two remaining ringtones ( I never want to hear anthem again)!
Keep up the good work!
Fantastic!
I almost removed anthem, but it kind of felt like I would be stripping the phone of its heritage. :p

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This sounds good enough to almost make me want to root...almost :)

I'm quite happy on stock right now, the only two things I kill after a reboot are Twidroid and SSA. Yes the bloatware is still there taking up space, but I'm not using it. I suppose my biggest worry is the less than stellar battery performance of some of the ROMs:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/71693-optimizing-battery-drain-optimus-v.html

n00b question: does the kernel affect battery life? Seems like it would have to. I have no interest at all in overclocking, nor anything else what will increase battery drain, my only goal with rooting would be to remove stuff I don't care about and in that sense this ROM seems perfect.

Does this ROM do anything about the time-without-signal bug?

Reactions: mysticalnyte

mysticalnyte

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm quite happy on stock right now, the only two things I kill after a reboot are Twidroid and SSA. Yes the bloatware is still there taking up space, but I'm not using it. I suppose my biggest worry is the less than stellar battery performance of some of the ROMs:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/71693-optimizing-battery-drain-optimus-v.html

n00b question: does the kernel affect battery life? Seems like it would have to. I have no interest at all in overclocking, nor anything else what will increase battery drain, my only goal with rooting would be to remove stuff I don't care about and in that sense this ROM seems perfect.

I highly advise in rooting. It'll save on your system memory as well without all the crapware. The kernel shouldn't be affecting it to much.
I went from the stock VM + xionia beta to AOSP CM7 and I get a little less battery drain but also I'm running a live wallpaper and and am OC'ed to 844.
You'll see more peppiness from the phone with xionia's or zefie's kernel without OCing.
Great find on the battery drain link!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

You are considering it for the exact same reason I finally took the plunge.

When I rooted, I had no intention overclocking, in fact I went a month and a half rooted and with a different rom before I overclocked. I started with Stock + Xionia, and just doing that I could see an improvement in performance, it was already a different phone. Subtle, but it was there. When I finally did overclock, it changed it again enough that I could tell. I don't push it though, I only went up a bit. After a while on Stock + Xionia, I decided to start pulling more out of the rom, the result of which evolved into Aphrodite. It was created for exactly what you are after.

The kernel itself has no real effect on battery, I don't think. However this performs just as stock, but better in every way. I haven't seen any issues. 2.3 rom/kernels on the other hand, have been known to drain batteries, this is a 2.2 rom. While killing those apps helps, it doesn't compare to an optimized kernel and completely removed apps. I don't care hwo good memory management and such is, not having it run in the first place is always better.

As for the time without signal,
On my phone (now others will argue till they are blue in the face), every time I have used anything to control the radio system, I ended up with my phone not reconnecting to 3g after data loss. This includes the time without signal fix. I don't think it contributes a significant amount to battery drain, and the general consensus is that it doesn't, if any, however after I reboot, I go into airplane mode for 15 seconds then back out and that fixes it until next reboot. I think too much has been made about the time without signal to be honest.

All that being said...
Here are some things to keep in mind with rooting and roms...
You lose your warranty, my response to is that, I can't wait for a replacement. If mine dies, I have to go buy another no matter what caused it. I can't be without my phone for 3 days, much less a week due to work. It's relatively safe, but not 100%.

Second, it's addicting. Just look around at how many are bouncing from one rom to another. Always looking for that next fix. Roms are like crack for geeks. ;) Some of us (those still in denial) will tell you it's harmless and that it's not a bad thing. Beware!

I won't tell you to do it. It's risky and some can't afford the risks. It's a personal choice, but for me, the benefits outweighed the risks, besides, I love messing with this stuff... But I'm not addicted, I can stop at any time!

mysticalnyte

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Second, it's addicting. Just look around at how many are bouncing from one rom to another. Always looking for that next fix. Roms are like crack for geeks. ;) Some of us (those still in denial) will tell you it's harmless and that it's not a bad thing. Beware!

I feel the same way. After rooting and roming I look around and think "Ok, what's next".

BTW, what is next? Just enjoy the phone and the roms features? There's gotta be more stuff.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks much for the reply. I'm still on the fence. My 5 month old son factors into the equation because I'm not sure I have the time to commit to *fix* anything if it goes wrong :)

As for the time without signal,
On my phone (now others will argue till they are blue in the face), every time I have used anything to control the radio system, I ended up with my phone not reconnecting to 3g after data loss. This includes the time without signal fix. I don't think it contributes a significant amount to battery drain, and the general consensus is that it doesn't, if any, however after I reboot, I go into airplane mode for 15 seconds then back out and that fixes it until next reboot. I think too much has been made about the time without signal to be honest.

It seems obvious from the discussions there are two camps: those whose battery drain doesn't increase with this bug and those that do. This leads me to hypothesize that this bug is affected by signal quality.

I definitely have significant battery drain with this bug. Furthermore mmarz was able to show the problem is real (in the link I previously posted). But I don't have the best Sprint coverage at home, and even worse on the drive to work, so I think that could be an issue.

Anyway sorry for the tangent, have a different on-topic question:

I know that if I install a custom ROM I can't get OTA updates from Virgin (this seems pretty obvious). This begs the question how do I get updates? More specifically, how would I get security updates which are certainly the most important? Am I at the behest of you, the ROM developer, to include the update? And, if so, doesn't that really mean I have to wait for both you and RevolutionRed since you've based this on his ROM?

Note: I'm not saying I don't trust you to update the ROM. Just something I wanted to know before even considering it.

Thanks!

justinh

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
LeslieAnn,
also making the same offer to you I made with Mmmark111, im willing to help host your project on my site with just about anything you might need, forums, file hosting, help desk, bug tracker, etc. Visit my site in my sig and send me a message if your interested.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It seems obvious from the discussions there are two camps: those whose battery drain doesn't increase with this bug and those that do. This leads me to hypothesize that this bug is affected by signal quality.
That was also part of my suspicion as well. When I have poor reception it seems to change some.

I know that if I install a custom ROM I can't get OTA updates from Virgin (this seems pretty obvious). This begs the question how do I get updates? More specifically, how would I get security updates which are certainly the most important? Am I at the behest of you, the ROM developer, to include the update? And, if so, doesn't that really mean I have to wait for both you and RevolutionRed since you've based this on his ROM?

Note: I'm not saying I don't trust you to update the ROM. Just something I wanted to know before even considering it.

Thanks!
Honestly, this is the most up to date rom out there and is the easiest to update.

Based on Virgins track record with the Blackberry, if we see more than one update from them, I would be surprised. Plus Lg has now claimed no hones with less than 1000mhz cpu will get Gingerbread. If that is true (it was an official post, but could be by someone miss-informed), then we won't likely see ANY updates.

As for Aphrodite,
Most of the software in it, is either already up to date, or flat out removed and updated through the Market. There is no Twidroid, or maps, or ____ in it that needs updating. OS updates aren't likely to be frequent, and many devs will produce patches for them. I expect it won't be too long before rooted users are all on 2.3 anyhow. I stuck with this because it simply works. 2.3 isn't there quite yet.

LeslieAnn,
also making the same offer to you I made with Mmmark111, im willing to help host your project on my site with just about anything you might need, forums, file hosting, help desk, bug tracker, etc. Visit my site in my sig and send me a message if your interested.

I may take you up on that, I'm still debating on what to do about it. Thanks.

Reactions: Bigtuna00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay