Has anyone done the VD baseband update on their V?

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I read this thread over in the Optimus S section. I'm using Zefie's CM7 (and interested in Aphrodite 1.3 too) but I'm not sure if the ROMs are compatible with the VD baseband.

The thread mentioned, "the VD baseband compatible with all new versions of Thunderom and Nrom" at the end. Zefie's CM7 and Aphrodite 1.3 are based off of Thunderom, right? Meaning it should work?

Has anyone updated their baseband on an Optimus V yet?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Aphrodite 2.0 runs the nROM 1.6.1 Xionia 013 kernel, which is the latest.
Aphrodite 1.3 runs on a slightly tweaked Xionia 005 kernel. It's a much older kernel.

Thunderrom has been known to be troublesome on the V. I'm pretty sure it could be ported pretty easily if someone tried, it uses an older kernel than 013 though.

I'm still not even entirely sure what the difference between the basebands are. I see lots of talk about it, but no one seems to explain it.

Last edited:

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Messing with the radio on V is not a good idea. I know if you screwed around with it on the Samsung Intercept it broke MMS, and you could not go back and downgrade it. Virgin Mobile has some weird custom hacks when it comes to MMS, that throws a few curve-balls at devs.

digitaljeannie

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
Flashing radios is risky business and has a high brick rate if done improperly or with improper firmware for the device. It's best to just leave it alone if you're not 100% certain of what you're doing.

I've flashed radios on other devices but the V still has its mysteries for me so I will not be messing around with that aspect anytime soon if ever.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
In those guides, they are not flashing a new baseband. They are flashing new firmware for the phone that has a new baseband included. That is why they make a backup of the phone and restore it after the upgrade. The phone firmware would most likely overwrite the data settings on your phone and you wouldn't be able to return them to VM settings. Read this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/66065-mobile-data-issue-after-wrong-sw-update.html

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
In those guides, they are not flashing a new baseband. They are flashing new firmware for the phone that has a new baseband included. That is why they make a backup of the phone and restore it after the upgrade. The phone firmware would most likely overwrite the data settings on your phone and you wouldn't be able to return them to VM settings. Read this thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v/66065-mobile-data-issue-after-wrong-sw-update.html

I just wanna quote this for the sake of quoting true facts.

Just because the phones are similar in design doesnt mean they will accept everything as a copy paste. Sprint is our mamma of service but Virgin has a proprietary system for mms and other things. Like not being able to roam onto other carriers towers.

Flashing anything specific to the phone like baseband is a guarantee way to have a 200 dollar paper weight.

pcp135

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just wanna quote this for the sake of quoting true facts.

Just because the phones are similar in design doesnt mean they will accept everything as a copy paste. Sprint is our mamma of service but Virgin has a proprietary system for mms and other things. Like not being able to roam onto other carriers towers.

Flashing anything specific to the phone like baseband is a guarantee way to have a 200 dollar paper weight.

ha ha...ain't that the truth. I have a sprint froyo flashed VM intercept on my desk at home to remind me of this painful truth.

chris.r.floyd

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Flashing radios is risky business and has a high brick rate if done improperly or with improper firmware for the device. It's best to just leave it alone if you're not 100% certain of what you're doing.

I've flashed radios on other devices but the V still has its mysteries for me so I will not be messing around with that aspect anytime soon if ever.
I just want to say for the record that updating to Sprints VD baseband on the Optimus V will wipe out your 3G. I speak from experience and I am having a difficult time getting my 3G back. If ANYONE could extract the stock Optimus V baseband for me, or even get me a whole .kdz file from a stock OV I would be very very greatfull.... I hit my smart phone to hard now its dumb! :(

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I just want to say for the record that updating to Sprints VD baseband on the Optimus V will wipe out your 3G. I speak from experience and I am having a difficult time getting my 3G back. If ANYONE could extract the stock Optimus V baseband for me, or even get me a whole .kdz file from a stock OV I would be very very greatfull.... I hit my smart phone to hard now its dumb! :(

Flash Harmonia or BB and use the Activate tool, it should fix things.
Make sure it runs through completion. It may take two or three tries.

chris.r.floyd

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I wiped system, cache, and dalvik.. flashed Harmonia 1.5 from your link.. and tried to activate several times and it didn't work... In my "About Phone" menu everything looks right (even the baseband) but my "SF Version" is still "LS670ZVD"... But i must say I am impressed with the speed of Harmonia 1.5.. I might run this as my rom once I get my 3G back... Thank you

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The stock firmware VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab can be found here How to fix Bricked LG Optimus V? - LG Cell Phones Blog
There is a few things you need to do to make the KDZ updater(if this is what your going to use) work propely.
When the .cab file downloads a window with the downloaded location pops up. Rename the .cab to .kdz right then and there.When done, close all windows. Go to App/data/local/temp it should be there. Make sure you have checked to unhide all files on your PC
Move it to the root of the C drive. Make sure nothing from that file is left in the temp file. In order for the KDZ updater to work you can't have any other .cab files on your system. (This is what they don't tell you >)you still have the one that you renamed + the one that it was renamed from(it replicates itself). Take the one that you renamed and put it in the recycle bin. Then look on your C drive and the original .cab file should pop up. Take and put that in the recycle bin and delete that. Take the renamed one and put it back on the C drive. Then follow the tutorial. If this is not done you will continue to get" extract file error" EDIT: IT HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT THE FIRMWARE ,BOTH ZV4 AND ZV5 , WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE. DO NOT USE THEM.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The stock firmware VM670ZV4_13.S4_13.P61007.cab can be found here How to fix Bricked LG Optimus V? - LG Cell Phones Blog
There is a few things you need to do to make the KDZ updater(if this is what your going to use) work propely.
When the .cab file downloads a window with the downloaded location pops up. Rename the .cab to .kdz right then and there.When done, close all windows. Go to App/data/local/temp it should be there. Make sure you have checked to unhide all files on your PC
Move it to the root of the C drive. Make sure nothing from that file is left in the temp file. In order for the KDZ updater to work you can't have any other .cab files on your system. (This is what they don't tell you >)you still have the one that you renamed + the one that it was renamed from(it replicates itself). Take the one that you renamed and put it in the recycle bin. Then look on your C drive and the original .cab file should pop up. Take and put that in the recycle bin and delete that. Take the renamed one and put it back on the C drive. Then follow the tutorial. If this is not done you will continue to get" extract file error"
please don't use kdz.
the cab files lg released for the v are missing a .dll which allows them to be unpacked.
without that dll you can't use the cab without bricking your phone.
I'll be happy to be proved wrong, I'll check out your info andyopie.
just be careful, several bricks are floating around out there because of those bad .cab files.

Reactions: AndyOpie150

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Move it to the root of the C drive. Make sure nothing from that file is left in the temp file. In order for the KDZ updater to work you can't have any other .cab files on your system. (This is what they don't tell you >)you still have the one that you renamed + the one that it was renamed from(it replicates itself). Take the one that you renamed and put it in the recycle bin. Then look on your C drive and the original .cab file should pop up. Take and put that in the recycle bin and delete that. Take the renamed one and put it back on the C drive. Then follow the tutorial. If this is not done you will continue to get" extract file error"

What you just described and linked to is a direct ripoff of Marzz's tutorial (the first reply even calls the "author" out on it for not saying so), in fact they even left the warnings as written by Marzz. In the tutorial, Marzz even flat out says DOES NOT WORK.

Read the very first line and the title of the thread.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-recovery-techniques-dont-currently-work.html

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I used this to try and unbrick my paperweight. After I finally got it to extract the file, I then was getting a library error so it never worked for me(just figured I really messed up my phone the first time). Didn't know that it would brick a phone. First time I've heard this. I do not want anybody to brick their phone. Will no longer give out this info and will edit post with a retraction. EDIT:I read the whole thread in link provided by LeslieAnn and the biggest problem seemed to be a very important but missing .dll file. that bigsupersquid mentioned in his ^^post.
I'm glade bigsupersquid and LeslieAnn jumped in and kept my mistake from bricking some one's "V"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa