Overclocking Optimus V

economichitman

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that everytime i try overclocking my OV to 768mhz+, i only get random freezes when i'm using the stock Gallery app. Sometimes it reboots by itself after 10~ seconds, sometimes it needs a battery pull (after being frozen for several minutes). Running Backside IHO.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm pretty sure my ov only freezes in the gallery app.

Gallery seems to be a very intensive app, any instability with the OC becomes apparent. I can run 768 as my max stable oc, anything over and I get force closes and system reboots.

Reactions: pinocytosis

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Reduce your overclock by one notch. Not all phones are able to handle the same overclock speeds. My old V was only stable at 748, this one is still good at 806.

terthii

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the latest BACKside, and can run at 480mhz/825mhz on the SmartAssv2 governor just fine. Tried running at 865mhz and had a few stability problems.

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying my hand at the overclock as well. It's been almost a full day of have not used all my apps as of yet. Has anyone experienced any excessive battery heat Doing this? What effect does it have,if any, doesn't have on battery drain? Can the minimum be set a little higher also? is that recommended? I currently have the max set at 748 and minimum of 245

bjzapp

Where did u hear tht word
Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Appreciate the comments and posts you guys and I'll keep you updated if any issues arise. I also downloaded the ad blocker app so will see how that works out as well :)

skurtov

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying my hand at the overclock as well. It's been almost a full day of have not used all my apps as of yet. Has anyone experienced any excessive battery heat Doing this? What effect does it have,if any, doesn't have on battery drain? Can the minimum be set a little higher also? is that recommended? I currently have the max set at 748 and minimum of 245

A couple users did a study on how CPU effects battery time and they found that it's better to set your minimum at least at 400mhz, that's the optimum settings for a gingerbread ROM. In addition, if you use your phone for multi tasking and games your min should be at 600 to get the best performance for battery life.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Stock ROM does not permit over clocking because the stock kernel is set to top out at 600 MHz. You'll need a new ROM.

MasterTec

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm envious of you guys. At 600 my ov is rock solid but if i try to oc it by even one notch it goes haywire.

Oh well I just upgraded to the one v so no complaints!

Sent from my One V using Android Central Forums

Jakethedrummer

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey i was going to make a new thread but i guess this works too, i have an optimus v flashed with Cm7. When i go into cyanogen mod settings and go to performance and try to switch the max freq from 600 to anything else, it switches it but never saves it when i reboot. Am i doing something wrong? Or do i need to have a 3rd party application to completely save it

There is a check box that says something like restore CPU settings on boot. Check that box and your fixed

swift110

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I just rooted my phone yesterday, and I wanted to add cyanogen 7 perhaps. Is that the best one to use or should I use a later version of it or another rom altogether?

---------- Post Merged at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Ok now that seems really high, how has the battery life been affected?

Deal Trees

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my phone yesterday, and I wanted to add cyanogen 7 perhaps. Is that the best one to use or should I use a later version of it or another rom altogether?

---------- Post Merged at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Ok now that seems really high, how has the battery life been affected?
Battery life is affected greatly, actually overclocking can be good for your phone (No you didn't read that wrong). Find a governor that works for you. I use SmartAss V2 and run @ 480/825.

n3rd47

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
yes but its safe to leave it well enough alone for one, battery issues and ik the phones battery is crap as is, but ik if u want to run something like ICS its proper to clock it at 400 mhz by 600 mhz anymore would just be silly but sometimes it dosent help to overclock and it only makes a problem but start low on the clocking and if its to much and the phone gets glitchy id revert it back hope this helps im not as savy when it comes to the cpu, also i wouldnt think about putting a case on the phone ik it sounds silly but it heats up enough as is

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
yes but its safe to leave it well enough alone for one, battery issues and ik the phones battery is crap as is, but ik if u want to run something like ICS its proper to clock it at 400 mhz by 600 mhz anymore would just be silly but sometimes it dosent help to overclock and it only makes a problem but start low on the clocking and if its to much and the phone gets glitchy id revert it back hope this helps im not as savy when it comes to the cpu, also i wouldnt think about putting a case on the phone ik it sounds silly but it heats up enough as is

Just some clarifications here...

It isn't "proper" to clock your phone at 400-600 to run ICS. Some users have found that this setting eliminates the random reboots that can occur. I think it's all circumstantial. I've had random reboots, and sometimes I haven't. Right now, I tried Cold As Ice-CM9 on a whim, and it's beautiful. There is one problem that seems to plague me throughout anything above Gingerbread, and that is keyboard lag.

Also, I rocked a bulky Otterbox on this phone for quite a while. Heat never was an issue, the only time my phone has ever become actually hot to the touch was the rare occasion I was tethering on 3G.