Overclocking Optimus V

shamilton

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
New to attempting not to destroy perfectly functional devices but, I am one of the many that cannot leave well enough alone. Can this device simply be overclocked to one of the near 800mhz speeds without loosing functionality (mms, wifi, etc.) I love the idea of removing limitations set by manufacturers, but do not know what I will truly gain? I just want faster. Is there more I could obtain that alludes me? Any input would be very welcome. Also kudos to all the " independent developers" that have made leaps and bounds to advance technology when the manufacturers want to limit us. I am just beginning to understand what the Android community is all about.
:)

Hugh Johnson

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The Optimus series phones seem to overclock fine. You might start to experience crashing around 800 mhz though. I've bumped mine up to 768 mhz from the stock 600 mhz and it works fine.

PC_Jones

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
New to attempting not to destroy perfectly functional devices but, I am one of the many that cannot leave well enough alone. Can this device simply be overclocked to one of the near 800mhz speeds without loosing functionality (mms, wifi, etc.) I love the idea of removing limitations set by manufacturers, but do not know what I will truly gain? I just want faster. Is there more I could obtain that alludes me? Any input would be very welcome. Also kudos to all the " independent developers" that have made leaps and bounds to advance technology when the manufacturers want to limit us. I am just beginning to understand what the Android community is all about.
:)

After putting the CyanigenMod 7 ROM for the Optimus S on my Optimus V, I've been able to overclock to 787 without any problems. If I go up to 806, I start getting random reboots.

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
I've had mines set at the highest (864) for weeks now with out issue, am I just lucky? Wondering if this thing could safely go higher LOL

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

ashton4life

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been at 825 for 5 days and no problems with the aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread) [03/25/2011] Rom using the built in Overclocking tool.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Overclocking limits are different for each chip. When they manufacture a chip, they run tests on it to determine how well it operates. During the manufacturing process, there are always some circuits that don't get printed exacty right (we are talking about circuits smaller than human hairs after all). These chips could run over 900mhz if they were perfect, but there is no such thing as a perfect chip due to the above mentioned manufacturing flaws.

When you start overclocking, you are pushing the limits of the chip beyond what the manufacturer tested for. So you must test it yourself to determine what the upper limits are for your particular chip. Don't get frustrated because someone else has a higher overclock than you, just be happy you can get more than what you paid for!

Reactions: A-android-B

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Tested mine on RodimusRom 1.2.3 thoroughly at max speed (864), and had no issues, FC's, restarts, or any other noticeable wankiness.

Still, I throttled down to a matching 787 (performance scaling) for caution's sake and, for me, it's probably about as fast and snappy as a device with this hardware can reasonably be via overclocking.

As said above by others, any gain for free is awesome, and your mileage may likely vary for your specific device. Hope everyone's phones are all overclocking winners!

-K

Divinityman21

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted optimus v I am trying to overclock it using setcpu but it is not working does anyone know what I am doing wrong. I checked superuser is enabled and setcpu has superuser acess please help

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I am OC'd to a constant 806 in Performance mode. Not a single issue. Fast, great battery life too. Harmonia 1.5 ROM. Using No-Frills CPU Control for overclocking.

Sent from my iPod touch

Last edited:

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
If I install a custom rom would all the apps and accompanying data assosiated with the apps be erased and help at all would be appreciated. Thank You

Yes. But what does this have to do with Overclocking? That said, an app called MyBackup Root will backup and restore your apps and their data. Works great.

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted optimus v I am trying to overclock it using setcpu but it is not working does anyone know what I am doing wrong. I checked superuser is enabled and setcpu has superuser acess please help
Just being rooted will not allow you to overclock as the stock ROM will only go to 600MHz. If you want to keep the stock ROM and be overclocked,then you need to install a custom recovery,make a backup of the stock ROM in the recovery,then install the picasticks kernel which will allow you to overclock to the 800MHz range using Set CPU,or No-Frills CPU(my personal choice). Now that you are rooted you need to at least install xionia recovery and make a backup. For more info on picasticks kernel go here http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...guide-optimus-v-modding-read-get-started.html and select the kernel and it will take you to the Dev's site were you can download it. If you need more info just let someone know.

Last edited:

Mooglar

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey i was going to make a new thread but i guess this works too, i have an optimus v flashed with Cm7. When i go into cyanogen mod settings and go to performance and try to switch the max freq from 600 to anything else, it switches it but never saves it when i reboot. Am i doing something wrong? Or do i need to have a 3rd party application to completely save it

AndyOpie150

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I've have found that it's better to let the phone reboot at the slower CPU speed,then reaply the setting I want after the reboot. This cleared up some random rebooting and freeze's that happened at the higher CPU speeds when trying to reboot,especially when installing a ROM or update.(I only turn the phone off to get into my recovery and install an update or a different ROM)

Last edited:

adroiddeebo

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I overclocked my ov using the overclocker in backside iho to 480/806. Worked fine all day even for 3d games and all. However; after I wakeup my phone after 5 hours and use less intinsive apps, phone reboots. What gives?

pinocytosis

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that everytime i try overclocking my OV to 768mhz+, i only get random freezes when i'm using the stock Gallery app. Sometimes it reboots by itself after 10~ seconds, sometimes it needs a battery pull (after being frozen for several minutes). Running Backside IHO.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm pretty sure my ov only freezes in the gallery app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22