Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    IHO latest build

Default Overclocking Optimus V

New to attempting not to destroy perfectly functional devices but, I am one of the many that cannot leave well enough alone. Can this device simply be overclocked to one of the near 800mhz speeds without loosing functionality (mms, wifi, etc.) I love the idea of removing limitations set by manufacturers, but do not know what I will truly gain? I just want faster. Is there more I could obtain that alludes me? Any input would be very welcome. Also kudos to all the " independent developers" that have made leaps and bounds to advance technology when the manufacturers want to limit us. I am just beginning to understand what the Android community is all about.
    Thanked by:
    swift110 likes this.

ROM
    Aphrodite

The Optimus series phones seem to overclock fine. You might start to experience crashing around 800 mhz though. I've bumped mine up to 768 mhz from the stock 600 mhz and it works fine.
    Thanked by:
    swift110 likes this.

It all depends on your CPU in your phone I have mine overclocked to 825
    Thanked by:
    swift110 likes this.

ROM
    AOSPCmod 7 2.3.3

delete
    Last edited by whyaphoenix; 05-25-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shamilton View Post
    New to attempting not to destroy perfectly functional devices but, I am one of the many that cannot leave well enough alone. Can this device simply be overclocked to one of the near 800mhz speeds without loosing functionality (mms, wifi, etc.) I love the idea of removing limitations set by manufacturers, but do not know what I will truly gain? I just want faster. Is there more I could obtain that alludes me? Any input would be very welcome. Also kudos to all the " independent developers" that have made leaps and bounds to advance technology when the manufacturers want to limit us. I am just beginning to understand what the Android community is all about.
    After putting the CyanigenMod 7 ROM for the Optimus S on my Optimus V, I've been able to overclock to 787 without any problems. If I go up to 806, I start getting random reboots.
    Thanked by:
    swift110 likes this.

I've had mines set at the highest (864) for weeks now with out issue, am I just lucky? Wondering if this thing could safely go higher LOL

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk
    Google+ Devices: HTC Mogul, Touch, TP, TP2, Samsung Moment & Intercept, Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V & Slider, Nook, Iconia Tab, HTC Sensation
    Thanked by:
    swift110 likes this.

I've been at 825 for 5 days and no problems with the aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread) [03/25/2011] Rom using the built in Overclocking tool.
    Daydream Believer

ROM
    Victorious

Overclocking limits are different for each chip. When they manufacture a chip, they run tests on it to determine how well it operates. During the manufacturing process, there are always some circuits that don't get printed exacty right (we are talking about circuits smaller than human hairs after all). These chips could run over 900mhz if they were perfect, but there is no such thing as a perfect chip due to the above mentioned manufacturing flaws.

When you start overclocking, you are pushing the limits of the chip beyond what the manufacturer tested for. So you must test it yourself to determine what the upper limits are for your particular chip. Don't get frustrated because someone else has a higher overclock than you, just be happy you can get more than what you paid for!
    Thanked by 2:
    A-android-B likes this.
    Total homewrecker.

ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

Tested mine on RodimusRom 1.2.3 thoroughly at max speed (864), and had no issues, FC's, restarts, or any other noticeable wankiness.

Still, I throttled down to a matching 787 (performance scaling) for caution's sake and, for me, it's probably about as fast and snappy as a device with this hardware can reasonably be via overclocking.

As said above by others, any gain for free is awesome, and your mileage may likely vary for your specific device. Hope everyone's phones are all overclocking winners!

-K

Default Re: Overclocking Optimus V

I have a rooted optimus v I am trying to overclock it using setcpu but it is not working does anyone know what I am doing wrong. I checked superuser is enabled and setcpu has superuser acess please help

ROM
    Changes Daily

The stock kernel doesn't support overclocking easiest way to get that is a new rom.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    Some arrogant a-holes

If you on the stock rom, you cant overclock.
    Have to use a custom rom.
    If your phone is new before you even decide to install a custom rom I suggest looking here first.

[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

I am OC'd to a constant 806 in Performance mode. Not a single issue. Fast, great battery life too. Harmonia 1.5 ROM. Using No-Frills CPU Control for overclocking.

Sent from my iPod touch
    Last edited by Ticojpunk; 09-09-2011 at 08:26 AM.

If I install a custom rom would all the apps and accompanying data assosiated with the apps be erased and help at all would be appreciated. Thank You
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by Divinityman21 View Post
    If I install a custom rom would all the apps and accompanying data assosiated with the apps be erased and help at all would be appreciated. Thank You
    Yes. But what does this have to do with Overclocking? That said, an app called MyBackup Root will backup and restore your apps and their data. Works great.

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

Quote Originally Posted by Divinityman21 View Post
    I have a rooted optimus v I am trying to overclock it using setcpu but it is not working does anyone know what I am doing wrong. I checked superuser is enabled and setcpu has superuser acess please help
    Just being rooted will not allow you to overclock as the stock ROM will only go to 600MHz. If you want to keep the stock ROM and be overclocked,then you need to install a custom recovery,make a backup of the stock ROM in the recovery,then install the picasticks kernel which will allow you to overclock to the 800MHz range using Set CPU,or No-Frills CPU(my personal choice). Now that you are rooted you need to at least install xionia recovery and make a backup. For more info on picasticks kernel go here [Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED) and select the kernel and it will take you to the Dev's site were you can download it. If you need more info just let someone know.
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; 09-10-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Hey i was going to make a new thread but i guess this works too, i have an optimus v flashed with Cm7. When i go into cyanogen mod settings and go to performance and try to switch the max freq from 600 to anything else, it switches it but never saves it when i reboot. Am i doing something wrong? Or do i need to have a 3rd party application to completely save it

ROM
    Bean_Whiz-CM10v2.2.2CX

I've have found that it's better to let the phone reboot at the slower CPU speed,then reaply the setting I want after the reboot. This cleared up some random rebooting and freeze's that happened at the higher CPU speeds when trying to reboot,especially when installing a ROM or update.(I only turn the phone off to get into my recovery and install an update or a different ROM)
    Last edited by AndyOpie150; 09-10-2011 at 05:12 PM.

ROM
    Mirage666

I overclocked my ov using the overclocker in backside iho to 480/806. Worked fine all day even for 3d games and all. However; after I wakeup my phone after 5 hours and use less intinsive apps, phone reboots. What gives?

I've noticed that everytime i try overclocking my OV to 768mhz+, i only get random freezes when i'm using the stock Gallery app. Sometimes it reboots by itself after 10~ seconds, sometimes it needs a battery pull (after being frozen for several minutes). Running Backside IHO.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm pretty sure my ov only freezes in the gallery app.

Quote Originally Posted by pinocytosis View Post
    I've noticed that everytime i try overclocking my OV to 768mhz+, i only get random freezes when i'm using the stock Gallery app. Sometimes it reboots by itself after 10~ seconds, sometimes it needs a battery pull (after being frozen for several minutes). Running Backside IHO.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I'm pretty sure my ov only freezes in the gallery app.
    Gallery seems to be a very intensive app, any instability with the OC becomes apparent. I can run 768 as my max stable oc, anything over and I get force closes and system reboots.
    Optimus V w/ MiRaGe CM7.2 @ 768mhz, latest sprint PRL
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP 4.1.1

Reduce your overclock by one notch. Not all phones are able to handle the same overclock speeds. My old V was only stable at 748, this one is still good at 806.

ROM
    BobZHome-

Min speed at: 600mhz
    Max at 844mhz
    Smartass V2

It all depends on how well your hardware was built.

Quote Originally Posted by economichitman View Post
    Gallery seems to be a very intensive app, any instability with the OC becomes apparent. I can run 768 as my max stable oc, anything over and I get force closes and system reboots.
    Ah, i had no idea gallery was cpu intensive. thanks for the tip!

ROM
    Mirage

I'm on the latest BACKside, and can run at 480mhz/825mhz on the SmartAssv2 governor just fine. Tried running at 865mhz and had a few stability problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast