"Time without signal 50%", airplane mode fix, and possible build.prop solution?

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
i was digging around in my build.prop file and found the following line:

ro.telephony.default_network=4

does anyone know what this setting does, or does anyone know if changing this value might fix the time without a signal bug? i was thinking that maybe this setting has something to do with the default network setting being incorrect... sorry if i'm not being clear here, i can't find the original post where i first saw this...

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
yes, i downloaded aosp and checked the file, i noticed it was the same... maybe this bug was somehow fixed in 2.3? my current ROM is Aphrodite, so it's running 2.2.1...

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
The problem isn't going to be so easy to fix.
My guess is that it is most likely in:
system/lib/modules/wireless.ko
system/bin/wl
system/bin/wpa_supplicant

And you won't be editing those very easily.
Most other files related to this are either identical, or easy to see they are relatively meaningless.

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
yes, i downloaded aosp and checked the file, i noticed it was the same... maybe this bug was somehow fixed in 2.3? my current ROM is Aphrodite, so it's running 2.2.1...

Nope, it wasn't 2.3 that fixed it. I noticed that it was fixed after the April third release of Aosp. But any previous aosp rom before that and it'd still do it.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This fix information needs to be documented and or linked to said documentation for all the Devs and users alike.

It would be nice to now have to use the work around procedure or the does it for you app.

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
This fix information needs to be documented and or linked to said documentation for all the Devs and users alike.

It would be nice to now have to use the work around procedure or the does it for you app.

i don't mind the airplane mode fix, but sometimes i forget, and it would be nice, as you said, to have this documented so i can just turn on my phone and go.

prime0025

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
There was a flashable fix floating around a while ago that would automatically do the airplane mode thing at boot for you so you wouldn't have to. Worked like a charm, you just flash it and forget about it. No more 50% cell standby issue. I just don't remember where i found it.

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So yeah this is getting frustrating. My girlfriend has the Optimus V, and I have the Optimus S. And I'm no nEwB to android phones. This is the 3rd one I've had. I get 14-17 hours a day under moderate to heavy usage with my Optimus S. I'm running Zefie's CM7 most current build on my Optimus S and I don't have this TWS problem. Never have, since I got my optimus with my Upgrade back in December. But my girlfriend's Optimus V OMFG! It will last probably 6-8 hours on one charge! It's so Effing frustrating. Because I have read through all these forums, and applied the TWS patch, and you can literally sit and watch her battery percentage drop with the phone in your hand. So what is the deal? She loved my phone, so went out and bought the Optimus V and is very disappointed with it, and frankly so am I. I am an android only kind of person. I've had iphone and Blackberry and I <3 Android. BUT WTF IS THE DEAL WITH THE V? I've also tried using all of the different available ROMs for the V, and still horrible horrible battery life. I used to have AOSP installed on her phone as well, and it still got horrible battery life. So what are we to do? Do you think it's possible the phone is defective?
Do you think it may be that I flashed a different PRL file to the phone and it's searching for a signal more? WHAT IS IT???? WHY??? AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Thank you lol

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, and applying the TWS fix, does not work on her phone, she's still getting reports of around 50% TWS, and her battery life is just awful. The samsung Intercept is horrible, I know because My sister has it on Sprint, but i'm pretty sure she would have been better off getting it...

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
i'm not sure if anyone really knows what's causing this bug... i sure don't. but it seems like with some ROMs, it's there, and some ROMs, it's not. but i had that problem with the stock VM ROM as soon as i got this phone... when you applied the patch, it didn't work? try manually putting it into airplane mode and bringing it back out after 30 seconds? you might very well have a defective phone, or a defective battery... hard to tell.

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's just frustrating. I've manually put her phone into airplane mode too, and the TWS isn't that high, about 13%, but her battery is just dying so quickly. I took my S, and her V off the charger this morning at the same time. My phone is on 78% and i'm streaming music from Audiogalaxy right now,and her phone battery is on 49% and she's barely touched it all day...It's just annoying :( But i'm sure you know that by now lol

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's just frustrating. I've manually put her phone into airplane mode too, and the TWS isn't that high, about 13%, but her battery is just dying so quickly. I took my S, and her V off the charger this morning at the same time. My phone is on 78% and i'm streaming music from Audiogalaxy right now,and her phone battery is on 49% and she's barely touched it all day...It's just annoying :( But i'm sure you know that by now lol

yeah i feel for ya... very frustrating indeed. i don't know what i'd do if the airplane mode trick didn't work... this issue is just so random, it even seems like identical phones with identical ROMs experience this issue differently... GAH!!

phreak311

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well I called Virgin Mobile, last thing I could think of. I'm having them send me a replacement. So when i get it, i'll root it, and install a Custom ROM and report back my findings as to whether it was the phone, or the bug that I COULD NOT get fixed lol. It should be here in 3-5 business days, so I'll keep you guys posted...

cpshelley2

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I called Virgin Mobile, last thing I could think of. I'm having them send me a replacement. So when i get it, i'll root it, and install a Custom ROM and report back my findings as to whether it was the phone, or the bug that I COULD NOT get fixed lol. It should be here in 3-5 business days, so I'll keep you guys posted...

sounds good, and best of luck!!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513