[Tweak] Performance "Tweaks" (Updated 4/26/2011)

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
@mmarz
I'm trying this on the Bumblebee ROM & encountering this:

mount: mounting none on /acct failed: Device or resource busy
mount: mounting none on /dev/cpuctl failed: Device or resource busy
deadline
deadline
Error: no such collation sequence: PHONEBOOK

edit- i wonder if Bumblebee ROM already comes with some of the tweaks & maybe parts of it are just not needing applied?

Last edited:

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
@mmarz
I'm trying this on the Bumblebee ROM & encountering this:

mount: mounting none on /acct failed: Device or resource busy
mount: mounting none on /dev/cpuctl failed: Device or resource busy
deadline
deadline
Error: no such collation sequence: PHONEBOOK

edit- i wonder if Bumblebee ROM already comes with some of the tweaks & maybe parts of it are just not needing applied?

The phonebook error has been discussed. It is because the binary doesn't have the correct collation built in. No harm done by this.

The two deadline lines are just telling you which scheduler you are using.

The mounting errors I haven't seen before, but I don't think they will hurt anything.

Are there any noticeable problems after running the script?

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
mm no. I just don't see much happen with my Quadrant scores. might just be the Bumblebee ROM. I get like 460 something compared to 1500's with the aospcmod and same tweaking applied.

GeekOutDog

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok...so I rebooted my phone and in the status bar it is stuck with sd card symbol saying checking for errors. I thought that was weird so I ran afterboot in gscript and all I see is "stderr:" line by line. Results pre script- write9.7 read 8.6 post script- write4.6 read 14.1 What did I do wrong?

Same problem here...

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
mm no. I just don't see much happen with my Quadrant scores. might just be the Bumblebee ROM. I get like 460 something compared to 1500's with the aospcmod and same tweaking applied.

That score is faked. Aospcmod has stagefright turned on by default which causes one of the tests to fail but register a really short time. Turn on stagefright with any of the roms and you'll see a 1000 point jump with no actual speed increase.

If you use the modified libsqlite.so, you should see a jump of a few hundred points if Bumblebee doesn't already use it.

In the end though, all the increases in speed will be marginal. The increased scrolling speed and smoothness isn't your phone running raster, but a setting being changed. What you should see is better battery life. Nothing drastic, but I can get 72 hours of use out of my phone with gmail, gtalk, gvoice, and groove IP running constantly.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here...

It should only effect the read speed. It doesn't nothing to the write speed. If you get stuck with the phone checking the card, then you have card corruption. If you look through the script, you'll see that nothing this doesn't could cause it. The script doesn't touch the card itself.

Any errors it gives in gscript or the like you need to list and also include what rom you are using. I've tried this with Rodimus, Nameless, and Aphrodite with no errors besides the phonebook error.

GeekOutDog

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I get the "stderr:" issue... so I suspect it's not applying any changes?

AOSP 4/27

I used the flashable file that was linked.... and then ran afterboot with gscript.... those are the only actions I've taken...

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You need to elaborate a little more. What does it say after "stderr"? And how many times does it say it? I haven't tested the flashable one that I linked to. It is not the same script that I am using. Does AOSP have init.d support enabled?

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey mmarz

Thanks for all the work done here an other places. I have a very similar error account as jawz101

stderr: mount: mounting none on /acct failed; device or resource busy
stderr: mount: mounting none on /dev/cpuct1 failed: device or resource busy
noop
noop
stderr: Error; no such collation sequence: PHONEBOOK

Anything to add to mine? Or should just take your response to jawz101 as to myself? The only differences seem to be the "noop" terms.

And a second question, how is your afterboot.sh tweaks different from your mytweaks.sh file?

btw I'm running harmonia 1.2

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey mmarz

Thanks for all the work done here an other places. I have a very similar error account as jawz101

noop
noop

Anything to add to mine? Or should just take your response to jawz101 as to myself? The only differences seem to be the "noop" terms.

And a second question, how is your afterboot.sh tweaks different from your mytweaks.sh file?

btw I'm running harmonia 1.2

I'll take a look into the mounting errors, but I doubt they will result in any harm. The rest of the messages are normal (you are using the noop scheduler). afterboot.sh is just a evolution of the tweaks. You should only run one of them because there is a lot of overlap. I would suggest the newest one attached to this thread.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Can either of you apply the scripts during boot (i.e. from init.d) and then through adb shell, type in "mount" and send me the results? Then try running the script using gscript and then send me the results of "mount" again.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I get the "stderr:" issue... so I suspect it's not applying any changes?

AOSP 4/27

I used the flashable file that was linked.... and then ran afterboot with gscript.... those are the only actions I've taken...

If you run the script via terminal, you will not see these stderr lines, but run it via GScript and you see a continuous string of them until the collation sequence errors.

There is nothing after stderr: , so I have ignored it when using GScript, but I usually run the script from the terminal.

su
sh /sdcard/tweaks.sh

joenice23

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys.

I just wanted to thank you guys for your hard work and to post a reply so that I can view the attachments to download the files to apply the tweaks. Im a newbie but pretty good at following instructions and finding my way around.
Thanks again.

theboundless

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you run the script via terminal, you will not see these stderr lines, but run it via GScript and you see a continuous string of them until the collation sequence errors.

There is nothing after stderr: , so I have ignored it when using GScript, but I usually run the script from the terminal.

su
sh /sdcard/tweaks.sh

Here's the results I got from running the afterboot.sh from the terminal on my desktop computer:

deadline
deadline

@mmarz

I'm not sure I know how to apply the afterboot.sh from init.d, how's it done?

loukvlav

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
I stole most of these from here: [TWEAKS][UPDATED 19/04/2011 - Flashable .zips] Performance and battery tweaks - xda-developers

I've tweaked this so much that I forget what exactly I've changed from the script posted above. Read the thread above for all the ins and outs of what the script is doing. Run the script once manually with Gscript after each boot or automatically using Scheduled Scripting App - Scheduled Reboots, etc... Phone Prioritizer App - xda-developers

You only need to run this tweak script once after each reboot. If you want to measure the sd card performance increase, use SD Card Tool before and after running the script.

Unrar the sqlite3 file and place it inside your /system/bin/ folder. Set the permissions to "rwxr-xr-x".

For Froyo ONLY! Backup /system/lib/libsqlite.so from your phone and replace it with the one attached in the rar file. Set permissions to "rw-r--r--". Reboot and enjoy. It has been patched to disable sync. Click here for more info or if you want the Gingerbread version.

As you can see here, it is not that hard to figure out how to do all of this manually.
Thanks for the tweaks!

anon(235100)

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to thank you guys for your hard work and to post a reply so that I can view the attachments to download the files to apply the tweaks. Im a newbie but pretty good at following instructions and finding my way around.
Thanks again.

This was a fun thing to work on. Over the course I think I documented a few ways I was implementing them at run time. In the end I use Tasker but it was because I purchased it- have to justify a purchase!

Also, if you're using some of the Froyo ROMs on this site you may check their release notes. If any mention that they applied 'speed tweaks' it is likely referring to these tricks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood