Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 1889
Like Tree91Likes
  1. #101  

    Default

    One thing I never understood is why the roms were not released in this fashion. Release just a base rom, and for all subsequent minor updates, release a single update zip that only contain the changes.

    Base Rom V1.0: 65megs
    Update Rom V1.1: 1meg of changes
    Update Rom V1.2: V1.1 + 2 meg of changes
    ...and so on.

    Just my two cents.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    I'm looking into it, this really a bit strange.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  3. #103  
    00_wrath_00's Avatar

    Posts
    657 Posts
    ROM
    Running Quattrimus ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Takenover83 View Post
    I will confirm this. Was in the middle of wiping anyway. I will edit this post with my results.
    Edit: Confirmed. Error when trying to enable wifi.
    Also confirmed wifi error.

    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #104  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmarz View Post
    One thing I never understood is why the roms were not released in this fashion. Release just a base rom, and for all subsequent minor updates, release a single update zip that only contain the changes.

    Base Rom V1.0: 65megs
    Update Rom V1.1: 1meg of changes
    Update Rom V1.2: V1.1 + 2 meg of changes
    ...and so on.

    Just my two cents.
    How many updates would you like to install to get a working rom?

    When I get this working I may do that, for now I just want to try and get it working properly. I just see that as somewhat sloppy as things progress. I like clean.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  5. #105  
    Kiernon's Avatar
    Total homewrecker.

    Posts
    138 Posts
    ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    I'm looking into it, this really a bit strange.
    No worries. You *are* aware you're completely allowed to enjoy the holiday too, y'know.

    Thanks for looking into it, LeslieAnn. Your testers are standing by!

    -K
  6. #106  

    Default

    Agreed on Wifi not working. Should've read comments before I flashed lol.
  7. #107  
    Kiernon's Avatar
    Total homewrecker.

    Posts
    138 Posts
    ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmarz View Post
    One thing I never understood is why the roms were not released in this fashion. Release just a base rom, and for all subsequent minor updates, release a single update zip that only contain the changes.

    Base Rom V1.0: 65megs
    Update Rom V1.1: 1meg of changes
    Update Rom V1.2: V1.1 + 2 meg of changes
    ...and so on.

    Just my two cents.
    Speaking about why I wipe pre-ROM install earlier, the Wi-Fi strangeness is an almost perfect example why I always prefer full versions updated software if I get a chance to have it over incremental updates over top (Most times it works fine updating incrementally, but I really enjoy piece of the piece of mind that a proper install isn't a factor in why something would be all chunked up or not - especially testing something new).

    With this Wi-Fi issue, my first thought would be something broke during hopping to 1.0.1 from 1.0, and more time would be used to wipe anyway and do a full 1.0.1 flash to remove the upgrade variable as part of the problem (in this case, it appears to NOT be in any way part of the issue, but still; piece of mind).
    I can see merit by whichever method to some degree, though. It's really, for me, a personal prefrence thing (however much that's worth )

    TL;DR I'm good whatever the ROM maker says is the way they wanna go.

    All that said, I'm but a humble user of these ROMS, and whichever way an author went about it, I defer to their expertise over my very fundamental idea of how ROM customization works.

    Your 2 cents are worth much more than mine, mmarz, so I will just leave this shiny penny here as my opinion. Mmmm.. Shiny.

    -K
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #108  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    I take everyone's opinion and thoughts into account, Kiernon.
    It doesn't mean I necessarily listen to them, haha.



    Anyhow, I tracked down the problem, and it's a Virgin problem. Let's just say it won't be a Harmonia problem, it's just the first to see it. I'm working on it, but it's not just a simple matter of swapping files, the problem is deeper than that.

    Until I can get this fixed, I recommend either 1.0 and suffer the battery loss (stick to 3g?) or Aphrodite.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
    Thanked by 2:
  9. #109  
    Kiernon's Avatar
    Total homewrecker.

    Posts
    138 Posts
    ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

    Default

    It's all good. I've tried for 36 years to get people to listen to me and that hasn't worked out well before! hahaha!

    Seriously, thanks again for scoping this out. At some point after this is all resolved and you'd if you have time and/or inclination, I'd like to hear more about what the issue is, if for no other reason than to understand a bit better what you guys go through.

    This small setback for users shouldn't be a problem considering everyone was responsible with their own backups before flashing something new.


    Right guys?


    ...RIGHT GUYS?...



    -K
  10. #110  
    drezliok's Avatar

    Posts
    450 Posts
    ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiernon View Post
    It's all good. I've tried for 36 years to get people to listen to me and that hasn't worked out well before! hahaha!

    Seriously, thanks again for scoping this out. At some point after this is all resolved and you'd if you have time and/or inclination, I'd like to hear more about what the issue is, if for no other reason than to understand a bit better what you guys go through.

    This small setback for users shouldn't be a problem considering everyone was responsible with their own backups before flashing something new.


    Right guys?


    ...RIGHT GUYS?...



    -K

    Right, I have 2. Backed this rom up and a RodimusRom with picasticks.
  11. #111  
    Takenover83's Avatar

    Posts
    507 Posts
    ROM
    Changes to Often

    Default

    Backup's? I have so many, my backups have backup's.
    SugarSync (5GB Cloud) Referral Link. - We each get 500MB extra.
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.
  12. #112  
    Kiernon's Avatar
    Total homewrecker.

    Posts
    138 Posts
    ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

    Talking

    Takenover is so pro, he has backups of MY backups!

    How the--!!

    -K
  13. #113  
    Takenover83's Avatar

    Posts
    507 Posts
    ROM
    Changes to Often

    Default

    Now where did I put those backups.... In the cloud? Damn cloud's like to move!
    SugarSync (5GB Cloud) Referral Link. - We each get 500MB extra.
    Guide to Play MP4's from the Cloud. Guide to Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP.
  14. #114  
    Black Jesus's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    60 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00_wrath_00 View Post
    Use absolute system tools and use the prop editor to change the text in the dropdown box from virgin mobile to what ever you want

    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
    I meant the actual Logo on the front of the phone I guess sandpaper is the only answer.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #115  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    For those wondering what happened,

    Short version... We screwed up as a community and lost some important information.



    Now, the long version... (rom and kernel builders take note!)
    We have to go back to the beginning, to see how we got here. Yes it's long, deal with it.

    When RevolutionRed ported the Xionia 005, he brought with it the associated drivers. While this increased battery life dramatically, it also brought the charging bug(s) many experience. Aphrodite continued using the Xionia system, as has Rodimus.

    When we all flashed our first roms, we were all excited and no one really paid attention to how we had gained so much battery life, we all just assumed it was due to all of the optimizations. In a way, it's been a long time since RevolutionRed imported that kernel, and no one has really thought much about how those drivers effected us, we had no need to. Our phones kicked **** and we were happy.

    When we flash an anykernel update to our roms, you only change the actual kernel. Everything else is retained. When you build a rom, you compile a boot.img. This contains the ramdisk, the kernel, which of course also brings the kernel animation, portions of the drivers, and a few other things. Most refer to the boot.img as the kernel, but in reality, it's only part of it.

    Everything was peachy, we had fast roms, and things worked quite well.
    That is, until we went back to LG source and brought back some of those drivers while creating the boot.img. While we eliminated the charging bugs, we brought back the wireless driver without knowing how bad it was. Apparently the stock wifi driver is complete and utter GARBAGE. So now we have to swap out those drivers at the boot.img level. I've already sent a message to Picasticks and given him as much as I can to help.

    Basically anyone creating a rom from these new kernels is going to run into this issue and anyone flashing the anykernels to a stock rom will have these issues as well. I can fix it, but not as easily or as good as Picasticks.
    Last edited by LeslieAnn; 04-24-2011 at 08:35 PM.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #116  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jesus View Post
    I meant the actual Logo on the front of the phone I guess sandpaper is the only answer.
    I believe it's behind the glass.
    That means disassembling the phone, sanding off the backside of the glass and re-touching the paint.

    The good side, is that this will hide very well, so long as the color matches. The bad side, it's a pain in the neck and not likely to work as well as it sounds.


    Just pull up your screen protector, put a sticker over it and put the screen protector back.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  17. #117  
    drezliok's Avatar

    Posts
    450 Posts
    ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieAnn View Post
    For those wondering what happened,

    Short version... We screwed up as a community and lost some important information.



    Now, the long version... (rom and kernel builders take note!)
    We have to go back to the beginning, to see how we got here. Yes it's long, deal with it.

    When RevolutionRed ported the Xionia 005, he brought with it the associated drivers. While this increased battery life dramatically, it also brought the charging bug(s) many experience. Aphrodite continued using the Xionia system, as has Rodimus.

    When we all flashed our first roms, we were all excited and no one really paid attention to how we had gained so much battery life, we all just assumed it was due to all of the optimizations. In a way, it's been a long time since RevolutionRed imported that kernel, and no one has really thought much about how those drivers effected us, we had no need to. Our phones kicked **** and we were happy.

    When we flash an anykernel update to our roms, you only change the actual kernel. Everything else is retained. When you build a rom, you compile a boot.img. This contains the ramdisk, the kernel, which of course also brings the kernel animation, portions of the drivers, and a few other things. Most refer to the boot.img as the kernel, but in reality, it's only part of it.

    Everything was peachy, we had fast roms, and things worked quite well.
    That is, until we went back to LG source and brought back some of those drivers while creating the boot.img. While we eliminated the charging bugs, we brought back the wireless driver without knowing how bad it was. Apparently the stock wifi driver is complete and utter GARBAGE. So now we have to swap out those drivers at the boot.img level. I've already sent a message to Picasticks and given him as much as I can to help.

    Basically anyone creating a rom from these new kernels is going to run into this issue and anyone flashing the anykernels to a stock rom will have these issues as well. I can fix it, but not as easily or as good as Picasticks.


    This should be reposted as it's own thread and possibly stickied. We have so many kernel makers in the community here it's a good time to centralize the information. And maybe get a team of mods together to hammer all these issues out.
  18. #118  

    Default

    Am I the only one gettin considerable lag in this rom when playin games? I never used to lag in doodle jump, now I get spikes =[ .I like the rom, and thanks for creatin it, the charging was incredible, gonna have to go back to rodimus for a while. I'll come back after an update. Keep up the good work.
  19. #119  
    drezliok's Avatar

    Posts
    450 Posts
    ROM
    I.H.O. Mirage CM7.2

    Default

    Mods was supposed to be devs. I tried to edit it on my phone but I can't s scroll down to it to fix it.
  20. #120  
    Kiernon's Avatar
    Total homewrecker.

    Posts
    138 Posts
    ROM
    Heart belongs to Harmonia

    Default

    I'd encourage this information being spread out wherever possible, as well. These are extremely good points that hopefully all ROM and kernel makers be brought to speed on.

    In hindsight (always the way, isn't it?) and your explanation, this now makes perfect sense to even someone as limited in knowledge about these things as I have.

    I wish nothing but the best, and can only to offer an extra device and feedback to check things out on the future progress in figuring things out, LeslieAnn.

    You have my axe.

    THREE CHEERS FOR HORRIBLE VIRGIN DRIVERS! HIP HIP HOORA--

    Ah, screw 'em.

    -K
  21. #121  
    nin
    nin is offline
    nin's Avatar

    Posts
    111 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 1.2

    Default

    Since I am not away from a charger or my laptop(school) for any length of time that would completely drain the battery, I am going to stick with this rom. Everything just seems to run so much smoother and faster, no issues with lag, startup time even seems faster. I hope it isn't some sort of placebo effect because it's a new rom and it truly is faster than the first version of Aphrodite.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #122  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiernon View Post
    I'd encourage this information being spread out wherever possible, as well. These are extremely good points that hopefully all ROM and kernel makers be brought to speed on.

    In hindsight (always the way, isn't it?) and your explanation, this now makes perfect sense to even someone as limited in knowledge about these things as I have.
    -K
    I just posted a thread here, which seems to be the rom/kernel development center for our device.

    As for the explanation, that was my goal.

    It was probably either LG or whoever created the wifi chip that created the issue, but Virgin REALLY should push out a patch, it's really pathetic how bad it is. One of the biggest complains about the V has been the battery, and this is why.

    Quote Originally Posted by nin View Post
    Since I am not away from a charger or my laptop(school) for any length of time that would completely drain the battery, I am going to stick with this rom. Everything just seems to run so much smoother and faster, no issues with lag, startup time even seems faster. I hope it isn't some sort of placebo effect because it's a new rom and it truly is faster than the first version of Aphrodite.
    It's not really any faster by a noticeable amount, even benchmarks show it's pretty much the same as Aphrodite. It just feels like a complete rom instead of a stripped down, overclocked Optimus V.

    If you stick to 3g, the wifi bug isn't an an issue.
    I'm sticking with it and I expect to have this fixed by tomorrow.

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  23. #123  
    00_wrath_00's Avatar

    Posts
    657 Posts
    ROM
    Running Quattrimus ICS

    Default

    LeslieAnn would the kernel and the way that this updated rom is set up affect the native email app? Its not a big deal I'm just curious.

    Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #124  
    LeslieAnn's Avatar
    AC Forums Android Developer

    Posts
    2,893 Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3

    Default

    It shouldn't.
    The email app has had nothing done to it, and nothing that should effect it

    Harmonia Developer for Optimus V, Optimus Elite, One V, Evo V, Evo Shift, Evo V
    Donate here if you feel inclined to brighten my day.
  25. #125  
    00_wrath_00's Avatar

    Posts
    657 Posts
    ROM
    Running Quattrimus ICS

    Default

    thats strange because if I go back to the first build i can use it. Now I get incorrect user name and pass word and i know its correct. Ive tryed flashing it twice with no success. Not sure if anyone else is having the problem or its just me. Thought I would put it out there.
Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B