[TWEAK] Ad Blocking hosts file.

drezliok

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I left RodimusRom for Harmonia and love it, except one thing. Ads!!! If I had fast 3g in my area I wouldn't care but my 3g here is just above dial up. When I switched roms my internet speeds plummeted or so I thought. Ads were eating my bandwidth.

So I opened up RodimusRom's zip, dug around and found it's hosts file. The one that ad-blocks with out an app.

Here's a link that is inside the RodimusRom's hosts file:
How to filter ads on your G1 - xda-developers

Here's a link for the file:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

Rename it to hosts and then put it into /system/etc/
There is one already there so you might have to remove it first.

There are so many ways to do it. I used adb to push it. I tried to use a terminal app first.

Heres a tip, read the XDA forum link before you proceed.

You could just download Rodimus and get the file that way too.

WARNING!!!
Like just about everything in this forum there is potential to mess your phone up.

I was kinda vague for a reason. If you understand what's here you'll probably know what and how to do it. If not.. Well search for adb HowTos and get yourself comfortable with a terminal.

Have Fun!!

LOL
Use this app instead.
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree&feature=search_result

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Ad companies know about this and change IP's regularly.

While you will block a lot, an app that updates is actually better.

Liquidplacidity

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to have an app do it, download adfree from the market anyway. Download and update the host file within the program, and then uninstall adfree. The host file will still remain with all ads blocked.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
For those having trouble finding Adfree, search for bigtincan.com in thd market, it should be the first entry.

I saw Takenover83, I'm working my way there. :)