[MOD] Modified app2ext for Nameless Rom V1, Harmonia 1.2+, Rodimus/Picasticks

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
A quick hack to load the modules for ext4 and add the files for checking/creating ext partitions.

1: Download here.
2: Copy the zip to your SD CARD and Flash in Recovery
3: Follow the ext4 instructions in the official apps2ext thread. I will summarize below.

Setup ext4 partition: Make sure you have created it (in recovery) first!
Code:
mke2fs -m0 -b4096 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
e2fsck -yf /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
tune2fs -o journal_data_writeback /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/block/mmcblk0p2

4: Activate apps2ext with "data2ext --enable". Ignore the errors about the modules already being inserted.

Note: The ThunderC recovery supports creating ext4 partitions. This is a relatively easy mod because Nameless V1 and Bumblebee ROM V1.12 supports init.d, but was missing the binaries for creating/checking/modifying ext partitions. Also the picasticks kernel is being used, so I made the app2ext script auto load the ext4 modules. These are needed because the kernel does not have this support build in (to stay lean and mean for those who do not need it).

Besides the app2ext script, 9 files(349 KB) are added to system.
Code:
system/bin/e2fsck
system/bin/mke2fs
system/bin/tune2fs
system/lib/libext2fs.so
system/lib/libext2_blkid.so
system/lib/libext2_com_err.so
system/lib/libext2_e2p.so
system/lib/libext2_profile.so
system/lib/libext2_uuid.so

Edit #1: Removed BumbleBee. You no longer need this mod for the BumbleBee Rom. The binaries are now included in the updated rom (version 1.13+)
Edit #2: Harmonia 1.2+ works with this mod as well.
Edit #3: A member reports Rodimus with kernel Picasticks works as well.

Last edited:

kba712

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
i was wondering your thoughts on a2sd by darktremor..Will it work with this hack? what are the reasons why you would prefer data2ext over a2sd?

Thanks in advance

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have not tried the one by darktremor. I am guessing it's similar? It would also need modified, to load the ext4 modules and include the binaries I mentioned. I am partial to apps2ext, as I have used it in the past and not had any problems.

kba712

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
A2sd is similar but you have the option to move cache, applications and data individually.

I used your script and it looks like it worked perfectly. I am restoring from titanium back up now.

Thank you very much. :)

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
This should work with the newly released Bumblebee ROM V1.12 (added init.d support), as well. Ignore when it tries to insert the ext modules for BumbleBee, as they are not needed (ext support built in). I have not tested this, so if someone tries it with BumbleBee, let me know if it works. You could install my version (to add the needed files) and then install the official apps2ext version, to get rid of the error's (insert modules failure for BumbleBee since they are not needed). But the errors are harmless.

Last edited:

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I asked before but couldn't get a good answer or the "fix" to work. Using the BB kernel i can get link2sd to work with any of the roms i've tried except for nameless. It won't even recognize my ext partition. The kernel obviously supports ext since it works with all my other options but is there something rom based that I am missing for link2sd to work with nameless?

PS. I love your guide for free voip with voice and groove. About to try it. :D

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Nameless uses the picasticks Kernel. The modules need loaded. This file should get you going, as long as your partition is ext4. The newest BumbleBee rom no longer needs this mod. It has been updated and now include the binaries, so you can just use the official zip.

If you want to continue using links2sd, you need to run these commands. (if using the picasticks kernel)

insmod /system/lib/modules/mbcache.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/jbd2.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/ext4.ko

Edit: Removed BumbleBee and added a little info to the bottom of post #1.

Last edited:

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Ok I've been using ext 3 since that is what cwma .6 makes but I'll switch to thunder so Ican make it ext 4.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering is it a waste to do if u only have a class 2 SD card or does speed not really matter? I am still alittle confused by what the reason is to do this since app 2 sd works fine without all the hassle unless there is some kinda of speed advantage?

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the class2 card and your purpose.
All class 2 cards are not created equal. I have some that run at 4times the speed of the rest.

Also, are you after speed or space? Can you compromise?

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have an 8gb sandisk SD with 2gb-3gb of always empty space but I also have about 150mb of internal empty space and I normally have 250mb+ RAM open. I am always interested in more speed while atm I dont seem to be having trouble with space which I would like to keep it that way as I get more apps. The reason I really asked is I am about to buy another 8gb class 10 SD and was wondering if I should go about setting up an ext4 partition now with the class 2 I have or just wait till I get the new card.

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there anything like this for AOSP?

Go to the xda thread linked in the op and follow instructions there. I created a ext3 partition on my sdcard, and flashed the thunderc recovery by getitnowmarketing to convert to ext4. I then flashed my normal recovery(xionia) and followed the instructions from there(flashing the zip and the rest). Works well.

Sent from my VM670 via Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have tried that method but Link2sd doesnt work.The second partition cant be mounted automatically at boot. Does the Send to SD use the ext4 partition or something? Because the internal memory does go up the same amount as the ext4 partition so I am alittle confused if its works or just looking like its working.

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I have tried that method but Link2sd doesnt work.The second partition cant be mounted automatically at boot. Does the Send to SD use the ext4 partition or something? Because the internal memory does go up the same amount as the ext4 partition so I am alittle confused if its works or just looking like its working.

When you run the data2ext script, it should move the /data partition to your ext4 partition on your sdcard. It is working on my phone... I'm using more memory on my ext4 partition than it says I am in my settings > about phone menu.

Sent from my VM670 via Tapatalk

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just did this, worked well and was easy to do. Not sure why this thread doesn't have more hits.

Just wondering though, if I do a nandroid, will it backup everythin includin ext4?
Also, did I need to format sd card? Because I just flashed this and performed the commands on the current Reborn rom with no problems, seems okay but rather fix it now if there will be problems in the future.
I didn't create a ext partition on my sd card, I just flashed the zip assuming it does everythin for me. Thanks.