Best Kernel for Performance

aznrunner1881

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running the AospCmod ROM on my Optimus V, and i'm just curious what the best Kernel is for my phone. The Aosp kernel is plenty fast, however i wouldn't mind for some additional speed. Also, I do not like the selection of govenors Aosp offers, as i would like the powersave governor.. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
First, the kernel isn't going to effect speed much.
Second, being a 2.3 based rom, you are limited to Xionia kernels only. Others will work, but they are a compromise. Pretty much any kernel change is a compromise.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I like the kernel from zephies cm7 because it has more available governors

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk
It's not simply that easy.
Check Marzz's battery thread for more on this, it was a pretty interesting discussion.

Basically,
Anything below 400 is pretty useless and Marzz found that 2-3 steps below your fastest stable was shown to be the best overall for speed and battery. So, realistically, 806 is the highest anyone should need.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Therefore, could I use Zefie's kernel with the AospCM ROM?

Most likely.
Zefie's later kernels were designed to handle 2.3, the problem is that CM roms are very integrated. They don't follow what a standard 2.3 will be, so you can't always swap parts out as easily as you can with other roms.

Give the kernel a try, just be sure to make a nandroid backup first, although odds are you will only have to re-flash a working rom or kernel to fix it.

The reason I asked about performance is that many are basing this on Quadrant which is actually not giving an accurate number on roms with Stagefright enabled. It's inflating it to almost double what it should be, due to a stagefright incompatibility with our phones. Based on Quadrant you will see a HUGE gain with AOSP over a rom like Aphrodite, when it's simply not true. If the phone was twice as fast, you would know it!

Most roms are equal to a 100-150mhz overclock over stock, and that is noticeable. We then overclock that... For a stock rom to run as fast as Aphrodite at 806mhz, it woudl have to be overclocked to almost 1000mhz (yes, it's that dramatic). If you were to double the speed of Aphrodite, the phone would absolutely scream, and frankly, they don't. There is very little difference in speed between the current crop of the roms, yes you can see small differences with benchmarks, but in terms of how much you or I can "feel", it's non-existent.

aznrunner1881

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'd actually like to argue against that (the fact that CM7 ROMs aren't faster) as I originally had the Rodimus ROM. While playing The Impossible Game, I noticed a bit of lag while i was playing. After upgrading to the latest AospCmod, i restored from a titanium backup and the game became lag-free. I don't know what factors were in play, however something happened, and therefore I have come to believe that CM does some things better than 2.2 roms.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'd actually like to argue against that (the fact that CM7 ROMs aren't faster) as I originally had the Rodimus ROM. While playing The Impossible Game, I noticed a bit of lag while i was playing. After upgrading to the latest AospCmod, i restored from a titanium backup and the game became lag-free. I don't know what factors were in play, however something happened, and therefore I have come to believe that CM does some things better than 2.2 roms.

Each rom has it's moments.

smokenbiskits

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Why not try them out, run a bunch of benchmarks, and compare them...anecdotal evidence is barely useful. I'm not interested in doing this review at the moment, but I did a PRL testing comparison, just so you know that I'm not a slacker.

obijohn

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I like the kernel from zephies cm7 because it has more available governors

The only governor it adds that Bumblebee doesn't have is the "smartass" governor, which as far as I can tell doesn't add anything useful for our CPU. Really, for the msm7627 processor, I believe the only governors we need are Powersave and Performance (which both just fix the frequency at either min or max) and Interactive (dynamic governor that changes when coming out of idle instead of polling). Setting the CPU at, say, 806 all the time with the Performance governor really doesn't increase battery drain at a measurable level above 480-806/Interactive.

one80oneday

Jan 25, 2011
twitter.com
No way I'm giving up CM7 but I've tried all the new custom kernels and none of the work with AOSP. Either they won't boot or the sensors & buttons are messed up. I'm interested in the interactive governor but not gonna make the phone unusable for it.
Also using quadrant without overclocking on AOSP results in 500 score whereas overclocking (864) results in 1100 score. I've yet to get anywhere near the 1600 score...

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
No way I'm giving up CM7 but I've tried all the new custom kernels and none of the work with AOSP. Either they won't boot or the sensors & buttons are messed up. I'm interested in the interactive governor but not gonna make the phone unusable for it.
Also using quadrant without overclocking on AOSP results in 500 score whereas overclocking (864) results in 1100 score. I've yet to get anywhere near the 1600 score...

There are a lot of tweaks used to increase quadrant scores, not just OCing.

aznrunner1881

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site

The CM roms only work with select Xionia Kernels.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
You aren't going to find a magic bullet that gives you a 20% gain, odds are you won't even find an honest 10% gain by switching kernels. Granted you might get that from the tweaks implemented in the kernel, but not from the kernel itself.

Find one that works well for you and be happy.

Reactions: aznrunner1881

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000