Rooted. what next?

Jerenater10

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i successfully rooted my lg optimus v using the method detailed on this site LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) Root

I am VERY new to rooting and i don't know how to Flash recovery's, install custom ROM's etc.

what i do know:
i do know that once you flash a custom recovery, you can flash custom ROM's but i dont know how to do that. :p

Please help. thx

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Link won't work, go to page 2 and click the ROMTools thread since you say you don't know what you're doing.
Please stop recommending romtools to the new people.

Do you really want more
"HALP I BRIKED MUH FONE BY USING LG FACTORY RESET NOW WUT DO I DO???!!!???1111"
threads popping up?

Lets get the new people to atleast understand the basics of flashing recovery and flashing a rom, before we show them romtools.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The basic concept I learned as I started getting into the ROMing stuff was:

1) If ur not understanding and comfortable with what ur doing to ur phone and rdy to buy another one "DON'T GO PASSED ROOTING!" there are nice things u can do with ur phone with just the root access even bricking it.

2) If all the above ur ok with but still want those kewl custom ROM juices flowing through ur phone and still feel uncomfortable go back and search more, read more, and even goto youtube.com there are videos of people putting recovery mods and ROMs on their phone going step by step.

3) Sit down shut up kiss ur warranty good bye and use what you have seen and learned.

The simple fact is bricking ur phone isn't as random a thing as people make it sound when ur reading the "help I think I bricked it" posts. Its because of a miss entered command, a low battery, skipped step, step done out of order, or even "I thought it was froze so I pulled the battery now it won't boot???".

Hope this helps.

Reactions: devilspy

Jerenater10

May 4, 2011
Visit site
hey, thanks for the replys. i managed to flash a custom recovery using ROMtools. very easy to get the recovery :). but, now i've got another problem. I'm trying to flash rodimusROM but when i get to the custom recovery and i click flash zip to sd card and i click rom.zip and install, it starts to go and then it says installation aborted....why is this?
pls reply thx

RavenSEAL

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Please stop recommending romtools to the new people.

Do you really want more threads popping up?

Lets get the new people to atleast understand the basics of flashing recovery and flashing a rom, before we show them romtools.

it works perfectly fine, all it takes to get it to work perfectly is some logic and a keyboard, not my fault there are idiots that can't follow any instructions, the program it self is pretty damn self explanatory and it gets the job done for those just starting, it's easier to get interested in learning about something once you see its worth actually doing.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
it works perfectly fine, all it takes to get it to work perfectly is some logic and a keyboard, not my fault there are idiots that can't follow any instructions, the program it self is pretty damn self explanatory and it gets the job done for those just starting, it's easier to get interested in learning about something once you see its worth actually doing.

I for one before ever actually owned a android phone researched around and seen the best thing to do to a android phone was to root it. So many options after rooting a phone I was amazed. I didn't need to root my phone to know this, and most people have a basic understanding that there is tons more you can do to customize your phone once its rooted.

All of these one button click and be a mindless drone programs HARM the community more then they help. New users look for the easiest way to do something, its human nature. We will never be able to change that. However Doing something the easy way always has its draw-backs, and for android its the n00bs that inadvertently soft brick the phone and return it because "it dont work no more".

If the only process available is a semi-difficult process either they aren't going to attempt it because they are afraid of ruining a 200 dollar phone or they are going to actually read around first. I would hope the second choice is the route takin, as many n00bs can turn in to awesome devs.

Now whether or not you give a damn? That is irrelevant to the issue, whats important is people understand what they are doing to the phone. I have had so many people say things like oh you mean its jailbroke? They have no idea what rooting a android phone is much less flashing a rom. We see the threads pop up almost daily of somebody accidentally soft-bricking the phone and need help. Offer good advise not just say use this one click and it will fix your problem now push thanks and move on. That is in my honest opinion what romtools is and any other one button root/flash utility. If you think Im in the minority you are sadly mistaken. Many many developers working on CM and other phones custom roms despise the one click programs.

/end rant

Reactions: RT78

anon(184007)

Feb 22, 2011
neweragfx.com
not to break to the argument going here but i've got another noob question: can i flash clockwork recovery via romtools by renaming and replacing even though i already have a recovery? or is their extra steps to be taken? i want to flash aospc ROM and its my understanding that clockwork recovery is required..... thanks...

Don't use clockwork... use your current one. It's fine

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G running Evo-Deck 1.1 2.3.4

Jerenater10

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Don't use clockwork... use your current one. It's fine

thx. can i flash aosp cm7 by booting into recovery then click flash zip to sd? and if so what things do i need to wipe from the recovery menu and sorry about all the questions but can i flash back to rodimus anytime by wiping the same stuff and using the flash zip to sd method?

Jerenater10

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok keep that. You can flash anything with it. Make a nandroid backup and wipe everything and flash away!

sweet man thx! if theirs any problems can i flash back to rodimus by making a back up,wiping then flashing? also big question, in the recovery do i click wipe data/factory reset or do i do something different......

Last edited:

anon(184007)

Feb 22, 2011
neweragfx.com
sweet man thx! if theirs any problems can i flash back to rodimus by making a back up,wiping then flashing? also big question, in the recovery do i click wipe data/factory reset or do i do something different......

Yes you can flash back with the backup. You want to wipe everything. Let me find you a app that I use on the evo, it might work for you. It will wipe everything for you. Give me a few

anon(184007)

Feb 22, 2011
neweragfx.com
Now this is for the EVO but you can try them and see is they work. Its just a tool that you flash via recovery that will format the following:
System
Data
Wipe Dalvik
Wipe cache

http://download.neweragfx.com/Mobiledevices/HTC/EVO4G/Tools/

but those are what you want to wipe, if you have to do it manual, you will wipe data factory reset, i think thats how its setup in your recovery and wipe the cache then go into advanced and wipe dalvik. you should be set then. This will guarantee that you have a fresh and clean install of any rom.

Jerenater10

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Now this is for the EVO but you can try them and see is they work. Its just a tool that you flash via recovery that will format the following:
System
Data
Wipe Dalvik
Wipe cache

Index of /Mobiledevices/HTC/EVO4G/Tools

but those are what you want to wipe, if you have to do it manual, you will wipe data factory reset, i think thats how its setup in your recovery and wipe the cache then go into advanced and wipe dalvik. you should be set then. This will guarantee that you have a fresh and clean install of any rom.

thx so much man! this rom is pretty cool. one question about the Rom if u can answer, is their any way to get swype back for this ROM?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae