Partition and Install apps on SD

mainloot

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a good tutorial to explain me how to partition my sd card and tell the phone how to install the apps on the sd card.

My memory is full, I only have 10 MB left on my internal and really need your help, I become crazy with this phone.:mad:

I tried to install ClockworkMod Recover but I can't find my device on the device list.

I have a LG optimus V rooted.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

mainloot

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you but I already searched, but I'm lost in all the tutorial that exists everywhere.
I just need that you tell where to find a good one and complete which works on my phone.

Thank you

sk8dayfuknight

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
1).flash the data2ext.zip,
2). partition the sdcard,
3).reboot,
4)."umount /sd-ext" Lastly, punch in>
5)."data2ext --enabled" to get it working.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
There are a few tutorials on this. Search is your friend :p lol

Ever try searching and all of the top results all end up saying "Use The Search!", it's because of people like you that this happens. Either don't reply, or include the info along with saying to use the search.

Here are a few threads related to the OPS question, which were in the the reference guide stickied at the top of this forum.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...0-4-4-23-11-alternative-data2ext-link2sd.html

[Script][A2SD]Darktremor 2.7.5.3 Beta 04 [HeroCDMA] (01/29/2011) - xda-developers

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...784-mod-modified-app2ext-nameless-rom-v1.html

Reactions: java007

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually I don't get search results like that and we don't have so many threads you couldn't look at the titles to find what you want. Thanks for your input but people that post due to lack of effort are the problem.
Also if you don't understand the tutorial you should post in that thread but I suppose I'm wrong on that one too.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up. You will need a kernel that either A: has ext support(ext2,3,4) built in or B: a kernel that has init.d support and can load the ext modules via a startup script. So giving us information about what kind of setup you are running will allow us to help you a bit more. Likely the easiest way is to use a app called links2sd.

mainloot

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I did some partition on my sd card with "partition master", so now i have a fat 32 / ext2 / ext 3.
i spent my day reading forum online to understand what exactly i need to install on my phone to transfer my apps and have "extra" memory.
I don't know a lot about so i'm sorry if i'm stupid.

When i'm in the recovery mode, i don't know what to do, because i don't have a lot of option.

I installed rom manager but i doesn't work (can't install clockworkmod recovery) and i have terminal emulator.

I'm lost, thannk you for your help.

notserpmh

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I really like this tutorial:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opt...ing-larger-sd-cards-no-more-storage-woes.html

It uses Link2SD instead of data2ext or some of the other methods. The thing I liked about Link2SD is that it only links user apps, not system apps. The benefit there is that if you SD card dies or isn't in your phone, you phone will still start up normally and all the vital (to me at least) functions like call, text, etc. will still work fine.

Link2SD can also use FAT partitions if you don't have a ROM with ext support (not sure if data2ext can or not, I am on Rodimus so I just created an ext3 partition and it wasn't an issue).

I found the guide easy to follow and it works well. A couple of tips I have picked up since then:

1. A lot of the Google apps can be uninstalled (may need root uninstaller if they were pre-installed as system apps on your rom) and then reinstalled from the market. This will allow Link2SD to move them since they won't be system apps anymore (a big example is the Maps app).

2. Don't use the "Move to SD" built into Andriod, use the Link2SD instead. I was really low on internal space on my phone as well when I started, so I had to, at first, move everything not already on the SD card (android way) with Link2SD, then a few apps at a time I moved back to the phone, then linked with Link2SD. Eventually I got them all over.

3. Link2SD has an option to autolink things when you install them. I highly recommend it.

4. The space increase created by Link2SD often won't show up until you reboot. After you link a bunch of stuff, reboot your phone an you should see it.

With all this, I have been able to stay around 85-90 MB free on internal memory. I have a 1 GB partition on my SD card for apps that I am using 305 MB of, and then I have the rest of my sd card (7 GB) for everything else.

csrow

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up. You will need a kernel that either A: has ext support(ext2,3,4) built in or B: a kernel that has init.d support and can load the ext modules via a startup script. So giving us information about what kind of setup you are running will allow us to help you a bit more. Likely the easiest way is to use a app called links2sd.

Actually I have run Link2SD on a Fat32 partition with stock kernel. It worked fine. Now I still have Fat32 partition with BB ROM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol