Rom benchmark comparison

How do you think I did?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

smokenbiskits

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
This is my compilation of Antutu Benchmarks...I've done many others so expect more.

-All ROMS benchmarked at 768MHz except stock V...set to Airplane mode except Sun Spider

-It took forever, I started over twice because I found better ways to set the settings to remove anomalies (turning of auto-screen rotate). Also if I didn't let the screen sit long enough it wouldn't take the screenshot...I'm too fast for this phone maybe.

- I set the Max and Min CPU to 768 so there was no chance for differences in cpu speed ramp up.

SunspiderBenchmark_html_m3de775f4.jpg
Antutu_html_3c377c38.jpg
QuadrantAdvanced_html_2b76ab85.jpg
LinpackPro_html_m1186e171.jpg

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Quadrant scores on the two CM7 roms is false, it gives a false reading due to Stagefright.
I suspect similar may be happening with Antutu.

Otherwise not bad.

Throw out the oddball Stagefright entries, and stock and you get pretty much as expected though. While some are a touch faster, you really won't notice it during use. Better off picking the rom that works best for you.

Reactions: dRoach

dRoach

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you smokenbiskits and LeslieAnn for the info. I was all excited when I got the Quadrant score on Aosp's CM7 rom close to 1000. Then I read about Stagefright; Oh well, you can only expect so much from the V. Thanks again for the info.

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
What I get from the Linpack Pro score is that when overclocked to the same degree, all of the roms and kernels perform about the same. There are no magic drivers that will double the speed of your phone.

Thanks for the hour and hours of work that must have gone into this! Your poor phone....

smokenbiskits

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Leslieanne
I'm confused on stagefright, some of the non-gingerbread roms claim it's enabled.

I have had others put down Quadrant, so I might stop using it, but then why is it used on "Put up your best benchmarks" threads?

Any guess on sunspider? That's a pretty big margin.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Watch Quadrant real close as u do a bench and see that video decoding H.264 goes by in less than a second on all the 2.3 ROMs and on all the 2.2 ROMs it stay on video decoding H.264 for like 10 seconds.
No 2.3 isnt processing it that fast its actually failing and Quadrant isnt detecting it. I am guess Sun Spider is failing on more than just one imo.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Leslieanne
I'm confused on stagefright, some of the non-gingerbread roms claim it's enabled.

I have had others put down Quadrant, so I might stop using it, but then why is it used on "Put up your best benchmarks" threads?

Any guess on sunspider? That's a pretty big margin.

Why is Quadrant used by people?
Because they don't know, and people all see those scores and think they have a special phone.

As for Sunspider...
ANY time there is a big margin, be skeptical. Plain and simple.

Look, all of these phones have the same hardware. Given the same OS (for the most part) and clock speed, they will all go roughly the same speed. If there was some magic switch to double your speed, LG would have released a patch for it in a hurry. Imagine the leg up on the competition when they can show their $200 phone beating $800 phones. Just imagine how fast their $800 phone would be.

Here is a PERFECT example of what I'm talking about.. This image is from the AOSP thread.
Our phones run similar to the bottom phones on the list. If you are driving a Prius and someone puts a Ferrari engine under the hood, I think you would notice. Even just getting groceries, you would know you weren't driving your old Prius. And yet, even though according to this chart your phone triples in speed, you can't really tell much difference between it and other roms in terms of feel. If you triple the power in your Prius and it still struggled to get to 60mph in a hurry, I think you would start to wonder about that tripled power statement wouldn't you?
e4dwl.png

smokenbiskits

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
To LeslieAnn and all the kernel/rom builders out there

"Look, all of these phones have the same hardware. Given the same OS (for the most part) and clock speed, they will all go roughly the same speed."

- Of course this is true, but what I'm testing is the ROMs against each other. I was meticulous in consistency during testing. So if the only variable is the ROM, and there is a significant difference in ALL the benchmarks I did then why wouldn't it be a good assumption that something in the better ROMs actually makes the phone perform better?

"And yet, even though according to this chart your phone triples in speed, you can't really tell much difference between it and other roms in terms of feel."

- User experience is anecdotal...if someone likes a ROM I'm all for them using it and being happy. What makes me happy is getting the best bang for the buck. Why benchmark computers? Because it's not always about user experience and satisfaction. Sometimes you need to know which piece of hardware or software is the best.

Sure, our phones weren't made to best any benchmarking show, but if I'm going to drop $200 on a phone and risk hacking it (bricked first one first 24 hrs :) then I might as well know what I'm also getting when I use a certain piece of software.

I never said any ROM was better than the other, I was just offering a comparative analysis in some realms. I didn't test battery life, I didn't test network throughput in both wifi and network. I wish I had time too. I also wish I had time to write extensively on the pros/cons of each ROM. I loved Reborn's interface, but I felt it was slower. Bumblebee was blazing fast and I can't remember any negative's of the bat. I also loved harmonia and the picastix kernel, worked exactly like I wanted it to. I'm benching Mobius 1.7, which Green hill I thought was a complete piece of crap honestly. Aosp is also great, except for battery life with Wifi on. So much to do, and so little time.

I give you much credit...what people do in their spare time for others who they don't even know and owe nothing to is exceptional. I'm not criticizing anyone who puts time into it, I wish I could. I wish I could build a kernel/ROM, and it wouldn't be perfect. I just hope you see that I put time and effort into making this communities' information grow, instead of "I BROKE MY PHONE" posts or "I'm a newb, but what's root?"

Hope I made your day :-*

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ur test is about the same as testing the performance between multiple copys of the same book by different authors that didn't use the same exact wording. Even if the books are wrote differently by different people the book still doesn't perform at all. The performance relies completely on the reader (hardware). Now if one author left pages out with the intent to make the book shorter and a faster read can you really say the book has better performance? Or an author has such bad grammar that the reader skips many pages and finishes the book even faster does that make for a high performance book? <---How AOSP fails benchmarks in Quadrant to get better scores.

Last edited:

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
"Look, all of these phones have the same hardware. Given the same OS (for the most part) and clock speed, they will all go roughly the same speed."

- Of course this is true, but what I'm testing is the ROMs against each other. I was meticulous in consistency during testing. So if the only variable is the ROM, and there is a significant difference in ALL the benchmarks I did then why wouldn't it be a good assumption that something in the better ROMs actually makes the phone perform better?
I'm not knocking your testing or the reason for testing. I appreciate the work that went into this.

A big difference? look at the actual numbers, not the bar lengths.
Let's look at Antutu, Reborn Vs Bumblebee. Reborn being the slowest and BB being the faster of the 2.2 roms (I don't count stock because of you using overclocks), your chart makes it seem like a decent difference but look at the actual numbers. 955 vs 1071, that is a bit over 120 points or about 10%.

10% speed increase is noticeable, but only barely. In computing, they say it takes 10% for you to begin to notice a difference on anything other than a benchmark. Okay, so you have your 10%, the problem is, that is both ends of the spectrum. Most roms are less than that in terms of difference.

Harmonia and Bumblebee are only 20 points apart. That is 2%. Do you REALLY think you can tell without a benchmark? Even going back to Aphrodite 2.0, that is only 5%, odds are, you couldn't really tell. Even with the 10%, as soon as you load up some apps, that diminishes (which is why in computing we say it takes at least that). Keep in mind these are at the extreme ends. The difference between Harmonia and Bumblebee is almost nill. There is no way you can tell a difference in actual use (no offense to Obijohn, to his credit, BB will show a difference in other ways, just not normal use. I really respect what he has done).

So let's look at Quadrant.
This time we will go with Bumblebee versus AOSP.
This time we show 1071 vs 1275, about a 20% difference. The two should feel as though they are not even in the same class of phones. 20% is a massive jump in speed and an amount you should clearly be able to see and feel. It should be the same as going from a stock rom, to an overclocked Bumblebee, trust me, you can tell a difference. And yet, AOSP feels pretty much the same. I'm not saying it is the same speed, it is faster, but there is no way you can convince me that it's 20% faster.

The Linpack scores are actually closer to the differences you can expect between them all. Which happens to show almost no difference. The only problem is that Linpack scores tend to fluctuate a bit, but if you average it out, it works out to being pretty accurate in my experience.

"And yet, even though according to this chart your phone triples in speed, you can't really tell much difference between it and other roms in terms of feel."

- User experience is anecdotal...if someone likes a ROM I'm all for them using it and being happy. What makes me happy is getting the best bang for the buck. Why benchmark computers? Because it's not always about user experience and satisfaction. Sometimes you need to know which piece of hardware or software is the best.
Which is exactly what I said, use the rom you like the best and not worry about the performance.
The rom that works best for you, will be the faster, better rom because it works for you.

A guy who needs to haul tons of stuff is better off driving a pickup as opposed to a Prius, even if the Prius gets better gas mileage and may be faster (top speed). Benchmarks become irrelevant when compared to need. The problem is that in this case we aren't comparing a pickup to a Prius, we are comparing a Prius with10 cup holders, a spare tire, and a cd player to a Prius with 4 cup holders and racing stripes. Yes, the one with stripes is faster, but by how much.

What you did is great and backs up what a few of us have been saying. Even expected results are a result. Which is GREAT!!! I'm not bashing you for it, I was thanking you for it. I was just trying to explain some of the false readings and expectations. Remember a benchmark is synthetic, it's not a real world test and may or may not indicate actual real world performance, which in this case is exactly the problem.

I give you much credit...what people do in their spare time for others who they don't even know and owe nothing to is exceptional. I'm not criticizing anyone who puts time into it, I wish I could. I wish I could build a kernel/ROM, and it wouldn't be perfect.

You could build a rom if you wanted to.
I did my first with Winrar and Notepad, and that hasn't changed much. From what I have seen of roms for other devices, it seems some aren't even doing that much.

Reactions: smokenbiskits

smokenbiskits

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Apology to anyone who waited

So I wanted to apologize, as I've not added the rest of the benchmarks and scores yet. I can still do it, and will try to work on it after this semester is over.

I've learned a lot from doing this, from everyone's input (thanks LeslieAnn) and even had a BB version made with swap support enabled. It's hard to benchmark guys: I fried my 32gb sdcard, never could have apps I wanted, and had to redo a lot of tests because the screenshot app I was using needed me to go slower lol.

Stagefright is an interesting little fulcrum for bad feelings...If you enable something that gives you somewhere around a 15% performance increase, and may also decrease stability by 5-10% do you take it? I do, but that's my personal choice as rock solid stability is boring to me. If you need it though, hey by all means get it.

I actually asked the Techreport editors and had my question answer on their podcast of how they benchmark. They were helpful, and had some pretty good ideas. The synthetic vs real-world test is what I'll work on in the next round. I don't know how long I'll have this phone though. I ask it to do a lot, and although it's great, and $25 a month is nice, I'd like something that I can push harder.

Hope you have a successful phone hacking journey!!!

smokenbiskits

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Quadrant scores on the two CM7 roms is false, it gives a false reading due to Stagefright.
I suspect similar may be happening with Antutu.

Otherwise not bad.

Throw out the oddball Stagefright entries, and stock and you get pretty much as expected though. While some are a touch faster, you really won't notice it during use. Better off picking the rom that works best for you.
wanted to thank you again for the support....I'm sorry I couldn't get to putting more bench's up, C++ online takes a good amount of time.

It's also tiring when you never have apps you want, it's like your a slave to your phone, it became less and less fun.

I'll be doing other things, and I'd love to do some collaboration with you and other devs.
Thanks again,
Ben