Give me your opinions on a rom for this scenario

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Heres my problem.

I recommended the optimus V to someone and they bought it.

They love using my phone with CM7 and like the animations and the ability to theme it and the keyboard and text editing stuff thats improved over froyo.

However, I dont believe CM7 is right for this person, they will want the use of the headset mic for phone calls, and they will be using a bluetooth headset often.

Also the battery life of CM7 is horrible. no denying it. I cant go 2 hours without losing 40%

fine for me, im choosing to deal with it.

This person doesnt need cm7 when it doesnt provide the features they will use the phone for.

I want to put a 2.2 rom on their phone, it needs to be free of bloat, include the activate app, AND have a 3G drop fix. also i need to be able to make the default font size slightly larger than the default.

I backed up my cm7 install and spent the last 4 hours trying some roms here

I really liked Harmonia except the market kept force closing (and i know how to wipe cache and flash a rom. ) it was nice but no app seemed to work correctly, and i couldnt find any info on whether the 3G dropping problem was fixed or not so the person who will be using the phone doesnt need to toggle airplane every hour.

I tried Rodimus rom and it seemed full of older apps. not quite up to date. had to update stuff when i signed in. and had less free space available. also it was fairly laggy. and I coudlnt find any information regarding the 3G fix.

for both these roms i had to flash an older recovery just to install them. they wouldnt work with clockworkmod.

so i put clockworkmod back on and flashed Bumblebee, which had a 3G fix. but it felt weird. i turned on wifi and connected it to my router and every 5 minutes it would disconnect and flop to 3G then the 3G connection would hang and any app using data would force close.

thats probably not the roms fault, although i dont know what to attribute it to.

I want you guys to make some recommendations!

The person who is going to use the phone is NOT a power user, but they know what rooting and custom ROMs are, they have NOT done it before, thats where I come in. They read reviews on the V and they were put off by people saying it was "laggy" at stock, and "dropped data connection often"

So the most important things are a 3G fix. i Guess all the roms out can overclock, and all the 2.2 based roms support the headset mic and bluetooth right?

I'm leaning towards harmonia but i really need to know if they have the 3G fix. I searched most of the pages of that thread for 3g and 3G and couldnt find a solid answer. maybe i missed something

so let me hear it!

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
For a 2.2 rom I personally like harmonia. I had 0 issues with a full wipe. Battery life is great IMHO. I'd suggest harmoina for a basic android user.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

notown

SAMLOKA
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
honestly harmonia or stock modified rom is the way to go .. I use aosp and get good battery life but im not sure all the bugs are out.. (phone rebooted once by itself already) but i love it the way it is :p

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I, personally, believe that bumble bee is the best 2.2 rom out. Auto starts oc on boot is nice and other options you can find on that thread. I am always bouncing between that and aosp.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Why does everyone think the battery life on cm7 is so bad? I think its better than any froyo rom out there.

becuase some of us use our phones differently. at my house, i get horrible signal, which means the phone is always looking for signal and my battery drains quick. also, since i have bad signal, i have to turn on wifi to use internet.

thats the battery drain for home.

when im out an about, i have no idea whats causing it, but i lose 10 percent an hour on idle. and i have nothing running in the background. facebook not even signed in. no sync. it doesnt do this on bumblebee. i like that rom, i just actually use gingerbreads features and i couldnt do a froyo rom as a daily driver myself.

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you it has the 50 percent bug fix in it as I'm using it as I type.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

lol i read that as "it still has the 50 percent bug" and i was like damnn

then i saw the word fix. and i thought oohhh ok cool!

so yeah, thanks, ill give that a try :)

00_wrath_00

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
lol i read that as "it still has the 50 percent bug" and i was like damnn

then i saw the word fix. and i thought oohhh ok cool!

so yeah, thanks, ill give that a try :)

Just to warn you when it first load up and syncs it is laggy then smoothes out. Once it does what it needs to its fine.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I really liked Harmonia except the market kept force closing (and i know how to wipe cache and flash a rom. ) it was nice but no app seemed to work correctly, and i couldnt find any info on whether the 3G dropping problem was fixed or not so the person who will be using the phone doesnt need to toggle airplane every hour.

I'm leaning towards harmonia but i really need to know if they have the 3G fix. I searched most of the pages of that thread for 3g and 3G and couldnt find a solid answer. maybe i missed something

The TWS fix isn't a big deal, and Sprint did some fixes to the network, so the issue has diminished, at least some. Most made a bigger deal about it than they needed. If you need it though, Bumblebee is the only Froyo rom with the TWS fix as far as I know.

Your issue with Harmonia and the market was a bad download or flash. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just that somehow, somewhere along the way something got corrupted. It happens. The only way to get closer to a stock, stripped rom, is to use a stock rom. Not even stock + Xionia is as close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol