Trying to root on a Mac; issues with adb.

MercuryChaos

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Optimus V for a little more than a week now and have been trying to root it (mainly so I can get rid of the default apps that I never use.) I use a MacBook with OS X Snow Leopard, as well as a BootCamp partition with Windows XP.

I'm currently trying to root my phone using this process which was written for the Optimus S, though I've heard that it also works for the Optimus V. So far it hasn't worked, or done anything at all for that matter.

I've got Android SDK installed. The Mac rooting tutorial works on the assumption that the adb tool is in the "tools" subfolder. When I installed SDK, there was instead a text file in the "tools" folder with the name "adb_has_moved" which said this:

The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/ If you don't see this directory in your SDK, launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool) and install "Android SDK Platform-tools" Please also update your PATH environment variable to include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can execute adb from any location.

So I ran the android tool and installed the Android SDK Platform-tools, and tried again (with the command line entries altered to direct to the new location.) Each time I try it, I either get a message that says "device offline" (although my phone is plugged in, turned on, and in USB debugging mode.) Or if I can get the adb shell running successfully, then when I enter the next command line entry it will give me a message that says something like "permission denied".

Now to my questions: Does the bit in the text file about "updating your PATH environment variable" apply to me, and if so how do I do it? If not, what else might I be doing wrong? Are there any other Mac tutorials out there that were actually written for my phone model and with the current version of SDK?

If I've left out any important information, please let me know and I'll try to fill you in the best that I can. I'd be willing to try rooting on my Windows partition if all else fails, but most of the tutorials out there seem to be written for Windows 7 users and I've got XP – I'm aware that the command lines tools are the same but the Control Panel interface, the process of installing drivers, etc. doesn't look the same at all. I'm well aware of my noob-ness and don't want to try adapting the Windows 7 directions to XP myself without some assurance from someone who actually knows what they're doing that I'm not going to accidentally brick my phone.

Last edited:

BiafraRepublic

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
First You should really be using the directions here, as they are written with the V in mind (DISCLAIMER: I created them based off off of RevolutionRed's work)

Second, I would try power-cycling both your phone and your MacBook (preferrably with the phone unplugged from the MacBook). This might get rid of any stale mount and adb processes. If that fails, try rebooting your MacBook in 32-bit compatibility mode.

Also, you might need to run the commands as root (either by prefixing sudo before each command or by using sudo su and proceeding normally)

Last edited: