Some questions about rooting...

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
So i have yet to root my phone, I have had it for around a month. I am a bit on the skittish side, with the whole "Voiding your warranty" and "possible phone bricking" part. I definitely want to root though, but I have a few questions first. First, how should I root? Should I use the method that is "stickied" to the to top of the Optimus V Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks part of the forum? Or should I use the one step methods such as Gingerbreak or Gingersnap?

Then, once I do root, I would like to put the AOSP CM7 custom rom on my phone. When I do this, will I need to install ROM Manager from the market, or can I put it on my phone manually, as is stated here? If I do have to install ROM Manager, will I be able to use the free version, or will I have to shell out the 5 bucks to buy the full version?

I hope some of my questions can be answered, as I really want to root! Also, If anyone has any pointers for the rooting and installing ROMs, that would be great as well! Thanks a bunch!

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
the EASIEST way to do this that i have found is this. i know this because i did 4 phones in the past week. all optimus V.

first, ,use the sticky instructions. put the su and busybox files in the android tools sdk folder, use the cammand prompt and ADB into your phone and push those files.

then install rom manager, flash the latest cwm recovery for the V.

use this recovery to flash a BACKUP of AOSP (it will work across different optimus Vs. ill post a clockworkmod backup file of a perfectly clean install if more people are interested in this method.

so far, after rooting many phones. this is an easy way to get aospcm7 on the phone fast.

also, after your "restore the backup" in the 3.2.0 recovery, you can just use terminal emulator and "flash_image" an older recovery. on top of the 3.2, like a 3.1 its already in the first post of the aospcm7 thread ready for download.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Is the terminal emulator the one that comes with the Android SDK? Because I installed all the stuff that was needed to root last night (Java, SuperOneClick) and then the Android SDK. After I installed the SDK, I installed "Android SDK Tools, Division 11", "Android SDK Platform Tools, Revision 5", and "SDK Platform Android 2.2, API 8, Revision 2", and I have yet to get the emulator that is in the "Tools" directory of the android folder in my C:/ drive.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
To tell you the truth, I think I am just getting stuck on installing the SDK. When I downloaded it from the link in the how to root Optimus V forum topic, I downloaded the recommended one. Then I told it to install to C:/Android. When it finished installing, it popped up with the SDK Manager. There were a bunch of differend things that it wanted to install, but I unticked everything except for, like I said before, "Android SDK Tools, Division 11", "Android SDK Platform Tools, Revision 5", and "SDK Platform Android 2.2, API 8, Revision 2". It installed all of those, and they are all listed in the "Installed Packages" part of the SDK Manager. Is that it? Or is there something more that I'm missing? Also, I have seen a couple of videos on youtube where inside the "Tools" folder in the android directory, they have way more files then I do, including one called "adb". My adb file is under a directory called "platform-tools". I don't know if I'm doing something wrong!

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Look in c:/android/platform-tools for a program called adb.exe, that is what you use via the command prompt. Be sure you have installed the LG usb drivers for your phone.

Open a command prompt on your pc, hook your phone up to it, and on your phone go into settings>>applications>>developement>>usb debugging (checked)

In the command prompt type cd c:/android/platform-tools
Next type adb shell

Your phone should connect and give you a $ sign command prompt.

From there, follow the instructions in the sticky to use SuperOneClick for a temp shell root, and then adb push su and busybox, etc etc, just follow the steps from there.

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay I did that and when I get to "adb push su /system/bin", It says "cannot stat 'su' : No such file or directory. Any ideas?

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh, nevermind. I missed the whole "Put these files at the bottom of the page into your platform-tools folder". Noob mistake :)

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so I downloaded ROM Manager, and followed these instructions from here, but under "Download ROM", there is only "Extras" and "GApps". No CM7. My phone is definently rooted. When I downloaded ROM Manager, I also first clicked on "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery" which is the first option. Right now it says "Current Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.X.X.X". Help!

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh god, I did something wrong. I followed your instructions EXACTLY, and even made 2 nandroid backups before hand. After wiping everything, I chose to select zip from sdcard>> Select asopCM7-VM670-20110601-signed.zip. It didn't work, there was an error, and it said installation aborted. I tried a couple of times, and it didn't work. So me, being the most STUPID person I am, chose to power off. Now, when I try to power back on, it gives me a blue screen that says:

Fastboot mode started
gpio_i2c: invalid khz:0
bl: i2c write error
udc_start()

Please help me!

kcls

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Oh god, that was close. I figured out how to boot up into recovery, and used my backup. So now I'm just wondering what went wrong? It would start to install, then say there was an error, and would abort.