Optimus S ROMS for V?

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
None unless they are converted for the V. Most bricks happen from people trying S roms out

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Reborn has a version for both as does CM7, however they are specific for good reason.

No, bricks don't happen from people trying S roms.
(Most) Bricks happen because people trying stupid things without a proper backup system first (nandroid, nandroid, nandroid!).

If you have a nandroid backup, you should be fine trying them, however you will end up with several issues that need fixing. Often 3g goes out and will not come back without running the activate app, which may or may not run on an S rom, depends on the rom. Tweaking the build prop beforehand can stop this sometimes. Second the buttons are switched. third, your accelerometer and possibly wifi may not work. Needless to say, bluetooth likely will not either.

But it will boot. Probably.

I've tried several of them (Thunder, Nrom, Lego), and none will work just by flashing it. Swapping over the related files and changing the buildprop will get you close though.

Sorry,
But I find it VERY difficult to believe people are truly bricking their phones just by using an S rom, unless they fail to make proper backups first. Like I said, I have done it. Nrom, Thunder rom, Lego Rom. Lego Rom was what I used to figure out how to get Xionia kernels working on the V.

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP FIRST!
And save it to your computer!

Just remember you are doing this at your own risk, and you have been warned about what will happen.
Honestly, at this point there is little reason to do it though.

Reactions: bigsupersquid

vee

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Reborn has a version for both as does CM7, however they are specific for good reason.

No, bricks don't happen from people trying S roms.
(Most) Bricks happen because people trying stupid things without a proper backup system first (nandroid, nandroid, nandroid!).

If you have a nandroid backup, you should be fine trying them, however you will end up with several issues that need fixing. Often 3g goes out and will not come back without running the activate app, which may or may not run on an S rom, depends on the rom. Tweaking the build prop beforehand can stop this sometimes. Second the buttons are switched. third, your accelerometer and possibly wifi may not work. Needless to say, bluetooth likely will not either.

But it will boot. Probably.

I've tried several of them (Thunder, Nrom, Lego), and none will work just by flashing it. Swapping over the related files and changing the buildprop will get you close though.

Sorry,
But I find it VERY difficult to believe people are truly bricking their phones just by using an S rom, unless they fail to make proper backups first. Like I said, I have done it. Nrom, Thunder rom, Lego Rom. Lego Rom was what I used to figure out how to get Xionia kernels working on the V.

MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP FIRST!
And save it to your computer!

Just remember you are doing this at your own risk, and you have been warned about what will happen.
Honestly, at this point there is little reason to do it though.

Plenty of posts of people returning phones to store from flashing S roms. Majority of people don't make nandroids due to laziness.

Maybe I'm reading another forum. /shrug

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Plenty of posts of people returning phones to store from flashing S roms. Majority of people don't make nandroids due to laziness.

There were plenty of times, that if I didn't have a nandroid, I would have been screwed. I don't really feel any pity on those who don't read everything first to learn before doing. I suppose I should but I'm a jerk like that.

I have personally flashed every rom in the optimus s forum section and never once bricked my phone. If you flash the v kernel over it you should be fine other than some things not working properly. My "brick" problems were from playing around with system files and then flashing them. Oh well...it was a learning experience of what not to do. ;)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site

You are right, many have lost their phones from it (here and other forums), but it was because they didn't make a nandroid backup. Had they done it, they would have been fine. Like Kreatur3 said, I too would have been in trouble many times over, but I was smart enough to make a backup first. If you want to play, learn the game first, then figure out how to cheat.

Flashing S roms is how I learned to port the S kernel/boot.img to the V. Stock + Xionia is an S kernel. Aphrodite 2.0 beta was used the whole boot.img of Nrom from the Optimus S. Both are still available for download.

IF you make proper backups, it is almost impossible for you to destroy your phone (without being willfully ignorant, factory reset anyone?). You have to be doing some pretty nutty stuff, not that people here don't do it, but almost everything here can be fixed with a nandroid backup.

Kreatur3

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
That's why I'll always keep my good old reliable "pre-screwed" with nandroid back up. Keep it on my computer from right after I rooted it, original kernel/rom stock from the store.