[How-To] Install aospCMod7 2.3.4 (With Downloads of everything)

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site
How To Install AOSPcm7 With the Least Amount of Trouble

UPDATE: I set up Google Voice and other services on my phone. I guess something happened where I installed a fresh AOSPcm7 ROM and it connected to the internet and locked to my phone number, and thats why some of you are getting errors. I'm going to rewrite this how to with updated files and we'll all be fine. People make mistakes, I didn't account for this. I had not set up google voice and talk when I did previous phones and did not encounter this issue.

OK, Lets begin. For the purposes of keeping this a guide, I will start from the beginning, For those who have installed my nandroid backup and are experiencing the error, Skip straight to Step 3-B

Step 1

-Have your phone rooted. This is a very well written Guide for Rooting the Optimus V. use it and complete the instructions. *tip* I used it on a 64 bit windows 7, but you need to download the 32 bit versions of all the software they mention.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/57485-how-root-lg-optimus-v.html

Step 2

Install Rom Manager, Choose Optimus V from the menus provided, and tap "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery" Rom Manager will then proceed to flash version 3.2.0.0 of ClockWorkMod Recovery to your phone. this recovery is BROKEN, but we are going to fix it in the next step.

Turn your phone Completely off. Boot into recovery by holding the Volume Up and Home buttons together. then pressing the power button. keep holding those two buttons until you get to a screen with orange text.

Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down to various options.

Scroll down to "Backup and Restore" and press the camera button to select it. if you press any other button, the text will disapear, just press a button again to get it back. you didnt hurt anything. only the camera button selects items.

now select "Backup" from the "backup and Restore" menu and the phone will save your entire current ROM as a backup on the SD card.

when its all done, take out your SD card, connect it to your PC, go into the folder called "Clockworkmod" then the folder "backup" and youll see a folder with the current date that you made the backup. save this ENTIRE folder to your PC and dont lose it.

Step 3

*note* If your phone is already rooted I strongly suggest to have the app "Superuser" installed on your phone.

At this point if you are a fresh user, you are still on the Stock ROM. if you are joining in from my previous guide, you are on a nandroid backup of AOSPcm7.

A. For stock ROM users, please go to the market and download an app called "Terminal Emulator"

B. For nandroid backup users, please restore your backup that I strongly suggested you to do, and then download Terminal Emulator from the market on your old ROM.

After it installs, open it up, youll see a blue screen with text and if you do not see your keyboard, press the menu button and tap "toggle soft keyboard"

now, in Terminal Emulator, type this without quotes

"su"

now you should have a super user permission request, tap "allow" and exit Terminal Emulator.

Step 4-A

EDIT It would seem the stock ROM does not have the "Flash_image" file needed to flash the new recovery. so we are going to add it now.

Download this flash_image.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download Now, unzip it. place the file inside the SAME folder that you put busybox and su when you rooted your phone for the first time.

Now connect your phone with usb debugging and open your command line and point to your android SDK folder to being the ADB (refer to rooting instructions for how to ADB)

within ADB, type this without quotes

"adb remount"
"adb push flash_image /system/bin"
"adb shell chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image"

now you can reboot and go back into the phone and Terminal Emulator for the next step.

Step 4-B

Download this file. It is a ClockWorkMod recovery that actually works to install ROMs.

recovery.img - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

For the ease of this guide. I already named the file "recovery.img"

Place this file on your phones SD card, using either the usb cable to transfer the file to the phone, or by removing the SD card and putting it into the adapter for a normal SD card slot that came with the phone.

Step 5

Put the SD card back into your phone, make sure the phone isnt connected to your PC by any means to eliminate any possibility of failure.

open Terminal Emulator and type this without quotes

"su"

you should see a # sign.

now type this exactly as you see it, but without the quotes

"flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img"

you should see terminal emulator spitting out lines saying something along the lines of "writing block at 000e210 or something lol, "or something" how unprofessional. ok lets move on.

*note* If this doesnt work, make absolutely sure your typing it right, and make sure the file on the SD card is still named the same. sometimes windows will put a double file extension. it might be recovery.img.img but you wont know if your Windows is hiding file extensions.

Step 6

Here comes the fun part.

Download these two files. one is 50MB or so and the other is under 5MB. you need both.

aospCMod-VM670-20110601-signed.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download This is the Main ROM AOSPcm7 2.3.4 Gingerbread. this is the newest build available. the 6/01 build.

gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download This is the Google Apps file. known as "GAPPS"

LEAVE THESE FILES AS .zip FILES. do not unzip them. move them directly to the SD card on your phone. not into any folders.

Step 7

Boot into your recovery by taking your battery out to ensure the phone is completely off. Putting the battery in, then holding the Volume UP button and the Home button at the same time. Then pressing the power button.

Hold the Volume up and Home button until you get into Recovery. you should see the top say ClockWorkMod version 3.1.x.x

At this point feel free to make another backup of your ROM, but you will have done so little except add superuser and terminal emulator that its not required unless you already have the backup.

*NOTE* on CWM 3.2 the camera button is the select button, on this 3.1 CWM, the menu button is the select button. However I have seen weird situations where the camera is still select, so try both if one isnt working.

Scroll down to "Advanced" and select it, now select "wipe dalvik cache" when its done, press the Back button and youll return to the main menu.

scroll to "wipe cache partition" and select it, confirm, then when its done youll be back at the main menu again.

Scroll to "Wipe Data/ Factory Reset" and select it, confirm, then let it wipe everything.

Now, scroll to "Install zip from SD card" and select it. now select "Choose zip from SD card"

scroll down and select aospCMod-VM670-20110601-signed and select it. It will install and when its done youll be back at the menu.

now select gapps-gb-20110325.zip and install that.

Now when its all done go back to the main menu using the back button and select "reboot system now"

The phone will boot into aospCMod7 for the first time. it might take awhile, if you see a Android logo thats animated you are fine.

When it boots. it will ask for your google account info. Most people find that the software keyboard doesnt pop up when its supposed to, so they select "skip" and sign in later through the market. Im saying this as a heads up so you dont feel stuck at that screen when you come to it.

now, thats pretty much it. These steps will work for new users, its a little tedious, but you end up with a fresh ROM.

Now for an explanation behind this

A. I have found that when trying to flash CWM recovery in Terminal emulator over a DIFFERENT recovery, i kept getting errors. only when I let Rom Manager install 3.2 and then flash 3.1 over that, is when it worked fine in my testing.

B. the 6/01 Build of aospCMod7 is seemingly not available for download except through Rom Manager, to avoid having users go through that app again, I uploaded the actual zip of it and GAPPS to my fourshared for easier access.

C. To anyone who is an advanced user and who flashes ROMs regularly, understand that even though these instructions have some weird backtracking, its the simplest way for someone new to rooting and new to android to get Gingerbread on their phone. by "simplest" I mean by not having to ADB into the phone too much to flash some other recovery and not digging through rom manager for the 6/01 build. I am trying to make the process as easy to do in a sitting as possible. while having all the resources in one place for a user to read. when they become more proficient in knowing android and more confident in ADB and other tools, they will move on to trying other ROMs and such. so dont flame ME for this. I'm just trying to help the newbies who want Gingerbread, and to help them in a way that can prevent phone bricking.

Now, really quick, I have to say THANKS to all the devs who actually BUILD roms, I dont. but when I bought my V I had a butt load of problems and no info was readily available in one thread or one forum, I remember PMing a lot of people just trying to get the information i was looking for. I even deleted my old account and created a new one to clear up all the dumb threads I made asking for help on simple questions. I've been there, and I'd like to do what I can to prevent others from going through it.

LeslieAnn inspired me to pitch in a write this How-To, I remember her releasing Aphrodite and catching flak for it, her posts used to have passion for the ROM. a nice description about it being pure and all. now everything she posts sounds jaded, like one too many noobs pushed her over the edge with simple questions and complaints about her ROMs. Maybe shes not jaded and cynical now, idk, but thats the vibe I get. haha. I can easily imagine anyone who releases FREE ROMS built on their own time to quickly become annoyed at the complaints from users who take it for granted.

Last edited:

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Easily install aospCM7 for the first timer

Why are still telling people to use rom manager? It is causing problems and bricks, many from just installing the recovery. Would be safer to use the xionia recovery, which supports both Amend and Edify scripting. I have been using this recovery since day one, and have flashed aosp and every other rom without problems.

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Why are still telling people to use rom manager? It is causing problems and bricks, many from just installing the recovery. Would be safer to use the xionia recovery, which supports both Amend and Edify scripting. I have been using this recovery since day one, and have flashed aosp and every other rom without problems.
Why are you arguing with someone who made a guide? I for one appreciate this because now I can get cm7 on my phone.

Reactions: watskyhotsky

thexxoffspring

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Also who has legitimately bricked their V?

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Ok pardon me. Borked their phone. Look back at all the threads. The problem I have with that recovery is that it doesn't work. Sure you can backup and restore, but you will not be able flash a rom with it, not even aosp. If someone follows this guide and decides they don't like the bugs in this rom they will still have to flash a new recovery before they can. Why not use one that will work all the roms available?

mmarz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I actually PM'ed someone for 3 hours trying to help them fix their phone after they used rom manager. They were stuck in a boot loop. Not sure how it got started, but I had to walk them through all the necessary tools to try to fix it because they had literally just gotten the phone and immediately installed rom manager. In the end, the boot loop remained. This is after trying every recovery possible, trying every rom possible, trying to flash the stock rom, trying to use nandroid backups.... So be careful! Rom manager might be a great shortcut to get you started, but it is the worst method to be using if something goes wrong.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I dont get what everyone's obsessions with aosp is, just because its so far a half ass attempt at gb everybody wants it. Bumblebee harmonia, and reborn are way better, I use reborn, and It came with everything aosp does, even the power controls in the status bar.The only thing. Missing is the battery graph, but its a fair tradeoff. I

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

a person who just rooted their phone is more likely to download rom manager then go looking for xionia recovery. thats why we see more threads about people messing up their phones via Rom Manager than by wrongly flashing xionia.

I agree with you, but the point is this guide will actually help more people, who can then spend time to learn the little things and flash a better recovery later rather than post threads about how to fix their new phone while trying to flash their very first recovery

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

I dont get what everyone's obsessions with aosp is, just because its so far a half ass attempt at gb everybody wants it. Bumblebee harmonia, and reborn are way better, I use reborn, and It came with everything aosp does, even the power controls in the status bar.The only thing. Missing is the battery graph, but its a fair tradeoff. I

It has more usable features, especially the text editing, which some people use a LOT (me) I cant go back to a froyo ROM. I tried. also, my particular phone gets worse battery life with bumblebee and harmonia than with aosp. same cpu settings and all.

aosp has a way to go, but its definately a GREAT rom, and 2.3.4 is a higher android version than 2.2.1, for a good reason. way. more. features. froyo is outdated man

hoya90

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

Watsky, THANK YOU!!! I've been trying to install this for a week through Rom Manager, Terminal Emulator, ADB, SDK, etc. etc. This is the first thing that has worked and it only took about 2 minutes.

kalena

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

it worked for me but now the market wont download it starts downloading then jumps to download unsuccessful. it dose not notify me that it stop or why.. what can i do ???

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

it worked for me but now the market wont download it starts downloading then jumps to download unsuccessful. it dose not notify me that it stop or why.. what can i do ???

are you on wifi or 3G and are you sure your phone is provisioned for internet before you made the switch? go back to your other backup and see if its still happening.

jiggygeek

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the guide. After wasting my money on rom manager today, I found your guide. I had already installed clockworkmod recovery with no problem. After installing this and Aosp comes out with an update, how would I go about updating the Rom?

watskyhotsky

May 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the guide. After wasting my money on rom manager today, I found your guide. I had already installed clockworkmod recovery with no problem. After installing this and Aosp comes out with an update, how would I go about updating the Rom?

GOOD question!

This guide is only for the meantime, becuase rom manager is clearly broken on the optimus V.

im sure all of us are hoping that by the time AOSP updates this rom, a fixed recovery will be available and rom manager will be working correctly for our phones. which would completely negate the need for this guide.

this is just for the interim until a fix comes out.

I cant imagine they are letting all this time pass and not working on a fix though. however, whenever it DOES get updated we will all know whether its fixed or not in which case ill update the guide or delete it as it might not be needed

tmartin91

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Just tried it and it worked perfectly, thanks!

I tried flashing a rom before and got stuck in the clockwork loop and it took me hours to get it back to stock.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Try clearing the data in the manage apps menu setting and see if that helps. Keep in mind you are loading a nandroid backup from another phone. You may have some problems with some apps.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

The more you post, the more I get a kick out of reading them.[/sarcasm]

There are no Froyo based ROMs that have even half the mods that aospCM7 has. Let's just see you revoke permissions individually on a Froyo based ROM.

tmartin91

May 13, 2011
Visit site

Try clearing the data in the manage apps menu setting and see if that helps. Keep in mind you are loading a nandroid backup from another phone. You may have some problems with some apps.
How do I clear the data?

I am in the manage apps menu, but I don't see a clear data selection or anything.

JDCRulezd00d

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same problem with not being able to download any apps from the market. Anybody have a fix?