what is the best rom?

kalena

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
after a few days i got aosp gingerbread on my phone it works and its fun but i was wondering if this it the best rom out there it was easy to install works great and if there is another rom is it as easy to install just looking for a rom that runs fast for serfing the web and watching videos...

Retorrent

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
after a few days i got aosp gingerbread on my phone it works and its fun but i was wondering if this it the best rom out there it was easy to install works great and if there is another rom is it as easy to install just looking for a rom that runs fast for serfing the web and watching videos...
From a speed standpoint I would say bumblebee is the speediest out there right now, for over all clean and snappy ROM I would say Harmonia which I love because its like stock but has ALL VM branding removed and has the most room for apps. Reborn Rom is somewhere in the middle but it has some nice extras like the power control from the pull down status bar and a built in wifi tethering app. So it depends on what you want.

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I can only speak from experience about Stock, AOSP, and BumbleBee. Stock sucks because of the limitations and bloatware. AOSP is nice but has it's faults and glitches, the most recent that I have tried was Bumblebee, it's very nice, havent had any problems except SU update but was an easy fix. I haven't felt the need to try another ROM since BumbleBee.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have tried bumble bee and reborn, I like reborn a little better because of the power control in the pull down menu, and for some reason angry birds runs better on my phone with it, bumblebee gives you alot of extra internal space, reborn you have to partition your SD card and run link2sd to get that same space, so for someone less experienced I would say bumblebee, Aosp is ok, it doesn't run any better thany the 2.2 roms, it has a better copy and paste, and a battery graph, but the camera doesn't zoom, there is Bluetooth and speakerphone glitches, but it has some neat customizations for it. In conclusion I would say bumblebee is the best right out of the box rom I have used

kalena

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
iv looked into reborn and it says you have to run on VD baseband when i look my optimus v is not funning on it so will it work or do i have to chang it.. thanks for all the help guys.

MarkD426

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the Samsung Intercept, in my experience changing the baseband is the worst thing you can do, but I have no experience with it on the OV.

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
iv looked into reborn and it says you have to run on VD baseband when i look my optimus v is not funning on it so will it work or do i have to chang it.. thanks for all the help guys.

I don't even know what that is, but I didn't have to do anything besides partition, other than that normal recovery, wipe, flash, reboot

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

There's one deciding factor since you mention watching videos as one of your two criteria, if you want to watch Netfilx without a green bar going through the video and no color shifting, you will have to use aospCMod.

If you are not using Netflix to watch videos, or can put up with the green bar, Bumblebee or Harmonia would probably be what you want. Now that you know how easy it is to install a custom ROM, why not spend a day on each and see what you think?

pbailey212

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Spend more than a day so you can calibrate your battery and see what battery life you are actually getting after a couple days

Kiernon

Total homewrecker.
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Seriously man, just try them.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the variables for different ROM features, kernels, enhancements, etc. - What's best for me may not be right for you.

I'd totally suggest hitting the ROM main posts and read the inteded creators directions/featurelist, then scroll through some of the pages (some are long, admittedly - but a long thread means much discussion on things you may care about and discover!) but yeah...

Just give them a shot, you have nothing to lose. Be sure to ALWAYS nandroid backup, and read up :)

Hope you find what you're looking for.

-K

Reactions: JerryScript

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried rodimus? I'm still deciding which ROM to start out with.

There is only two problems with Rodimus...
The dev hasn't been around much, but it runs really well and I assume people are still using it so they can help.

Second, it's a bit behind compared to the latest crop of roms.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic rom, I'm not knocking it, it's just fallen behind the times. Reborn is probably the closest to what Rodimus would be today if it was still being developed.

Other roms to try:
Harmonia, very minimalistic, pretty much what Virgin should have released.
Bumblebee, very minimalistic, more or less stock but modified for speed
AOSP CM7, tons of features but a bit buggy on some things.

Most others are a bit behind these in terms of development.

notserpmh

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried rodimus? I'm still deciding which ROM to start out with.

I use Rodimus (and have for a while, since the 1.2.3 release was fairly new). I recently switched to the Bumblebee kernel (but kept the Rodimus rom) and have been very happy with my phone. It runs fast, the battery life is great (for a smart phone that is), I really like the Rodimus blue/black theme, etc.

Really, I would just pick one and go with it. Honestly, depending on how much customization you end up doing, after installing the rom, the one you start with won't change tons (unless you are debating between froyo or gingerbread roms, in which case there are some noticeable difference between the two).

Rodimus isn't really developed/supported anymore, but I stick with it because I use Go Launcher Ex (which none of the others do anyway), Link2SD which only some of the kernels support (including Bumblebee, which is why I switched to it), I removed a lot of the stuff Rodimus left in that other roms take out, and I really like the blue/black theme and don't want to bother trying to recreate it with UOT or something for another ROM.

Really, the differences in the roms is just the choice of starting points. Some start out almost as stripped down as you can get (Harmonia for example), while others try to throw lots of things in (reborn, the sense looking one, etc.) I really think it is more a matter of choice between froyo and gingerbread. Then just pick one and start customizing to your own liking from there on out.

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Really, the differences in the roms is just the choice of starting points. Some start out almost as stripped down as you can get (Harmonia for example), while others try to throw lots of things in (reborn, the sense looking one, etc.) I really think it is more a matter of choice between froyo and gingerbread.

Quite a good way to describe it, though knowing how they are built, it does go a bit deeper than this.

But yeah, picking your start point is a good way to put it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke