Android from a Windows Mobile perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.

macjazzy

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Have been researching smartphones in general for a little bit now, ready to take the plunge, Android seems to be the most up and coming force. I think it will only get bigger as time rolls on.

quaa

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
  1. 1. If you did leave Windows Mobile for Android, how come? What attracted you to Android?
    I like the ease of use compared to WinMo. Android also seems to have the hackibility advantage that winmo has.
  2. Are the multiple versions of Android causing you any headaches? Or are you just waiting patiently for an upgrade?
    no i can flash whatever rom that I want ontop of my phone to deal with new versions. Although I wish that it was more organized. It seems that the drivers for the G1/Magic had to be reversed engineered because HTC has not released them yet.
  3. Which do you prefer? Stock Android, or something like HTC's sense on top of it?
    Stock with a customized launcher.
  4. Do you worry about having all of your information in the Google ecosytem?
    No, i find it easier to sync because the phone does it for me. I like this, coming from using gmail/gcal/ect It is easier for me.
  5. If you could fix one thing about Android, what would it be?
    Make the ASOP easier to work with / drivers / ect.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Contest entry:
And to actually add, WinMo i feel could be my second favorite OS, but honestly, I haven't had much time to play with it. What I like is that a lot of professional directed apps like Lexi-Comp has been around for a while, and only recently been added to WebOS and Android. It runs faster in WinMo and slow on Android (but bearable) and way too slow to be useful on WebOS (your patient may die before you can find something to save them). I know its a little rough navigating through the OS, but it has all the necessary features you like in a phone and mobile platform. Its the most complete in my mind (because its been around forever!). I am excited to see wino 7 and from the pics I've seen, it looks pretty and hopefully all the function is still there.

pjames6

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
I switched from winmo because of hardware problems, and because winmo didn't have the support of apps that android had. I was using an HTC Touch Pro and I think that phone must have broken 5 times. GPS never worked, all sorts of problems. But the one thing I do miss about winmo is the stock ability to navigate through your phone windows style. For android I have to use astro to find things I download or to look through my memory card.

Dalt0n94

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Contest Entry: I haven't owned a WinMo device, but I've tried my friends and I think that the Android OS is much faster, cleaner, all around better. Just my opinion.

bdotto14

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
1. If you did leave Windows Mobile for Android, how come? What attracted you to Android?
Are the multiple versions of Android causing you any headaches? Or are you just waiting patiently for an upgrade?
Which do you prefer? Stock Android, or something like HTC's sense on top of it?
Do you worry about having all of your information in the Google ecosytem?
If you could fix one thing about Android, what would it be?

Android is attractive to me because of its variety of apps and also the easy Google integration because I use Google like a low grade exchange for my contacts and also my calendar.
The different versions of Android become annoying, especially when you have a G1 :-(.
Stock Android is most attractive to me because using Sense I feel like I am missing some of the aspects of android.
I have no problems with Google having everything of mine, as long as they keep my anonymity.
I would bring every Android device up to at least 2.1.x to keep those older and some times first customers and supporters of Android happy and up to date.

Mydnightsorrow

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
  1. 1. If you did leave Windows Mobile for Android, how come? What attracted you to Android?
    Something new
  2. Are the multiple versions of Android causing you any headaches? Or are you just waiting patiently for an upgrade? Live wallpapers!
  3. Which do you prefer? Stock Android, or something like HTC's sense on top of it? I am using stock and don't have a HTC phone. Haven't tried sense so i have no preference
  4. Do you worry about having all of your information in the Google ecosytem? No. If they can hack paris hiltons sidekick then they can hack my droid if they really wanted to haha
  5. If you could fix one thing about Android, what would it be? Outlook sync

Fdo35

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
1. I'm currently sort of a mix when it comes to this. I will probably be switching to Android soon, but I'm going to wait until I hear more about Windows Mobile 7 before making a solid decision (Although at this point switching to Android is very likely). What I like about Android is it's not ugly like Windows Mobile usually is, companies feel more compelled to give out upgrades, (I think) it has over the air update support, its notification system, its better menu system, and I really like its homescreen. Oh yes, and I also really like Android's wider availability of high-end devices at a much better price.

2. No, there's no confusion here.

3. I prefer the Nexus One's interface on top of Android; although HTC Sense is pretty cool too.

4. I don't let Google put all of my stuff in their ecosystem.

5. Microsoft apps and integration (Things like a Bing app(s), Windows Live app(s), and the option of using Bing search in the browser.), but that's probably not going to happen.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
  2. Are the multiple versions of Android causing you any headaches? Or are you just waiting patiently for an upgrade?
  3. Which do you prefer? Stock Android, or something like HTC's sense on top of it?

1: I was sick of Microsoft seemingly not coming to terms with the future... It was too hard to watch other Mobile platforms bound ahead in terms of features/ UI/ etc.

Come to think of it, I don't think there is a 'Microsoft Experience' with WinMob. I enjoy the 'Google Experience.' The 'Apple Experience' may be about it just working, and the 'BlackBerry Experience' is about tons of data working, but the 'Google Experience' allows me to do what I want, how I want it, and when I want. Widgets, the customizable home-screens, and even the very open-source nature of the OS allows me to do what I want, when I want. Plus, some of the Google Experience apps are amazingly functional and useful.

2: It doesn't bother me, personally. However, I can definitely see it becoming an issue in the near future, as developers are forced to make a decision on which versions of Android their app will support. They would have to assess the landscape, and figure out which version of the OS is used the most.

Also, I can understand how the mainstream consumer (the non-techie) would be confused, and somewhat overwhelmed with all the iterations of the OS.

So all-in-all, the situation doesn't bother me right now, although I can see it becoming an issue in the near future, especially during transition periods, when devices like the HTC Hero, and Motorola Cliq start to upgrade to 2.0/2.1. But we'll see.

3: Having only used Sense UI on a DROID Eris so far, I can definitely say I prefer the stock UI, especially if it improves battery life. I loved Sense UI's 'Spaces' concept, as that makes a lot of sense. But at the same time, the battery life on my device was something that I wished was better, and I think it was because of my plethora of data-requiring widgets/ browsing behavior.

But all-in-all, I suppose my opinion on this is only one-sided, as the only stock UI device I've used was my friend's DROID. But I did prefer it then.

4: Used to, but not anymore. I decided there are (lots) more important things to worry about in life :cool: :( :)

4: As much as the fracturing of the OS doesn't bother me, I can see it being a big problem for the mainstream consumers, especially when you consider that apps would need to support all versions of the OS in order to reach the largest audience possible. That will become a harder thing for developers to accomplish.
Also important: advertising. Advertising is something that some manufacterers and carriers are doing well (like Motorola and Verizon with the DROID Does ad campaign), but something that Google isn't doing at all. Now that they have at least one phone, they should be promoting it. On T.V. With commercials. You can't tell me that the advertising giant can't make a decent commercial.

I had an HTC DROID Eris, and returned it (battery life); and now I'm waiting for a Nexus One on Verizon.

Last edited:

digitard#WN

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
1. If you did leave Windows Mobile for Android, how come? What attracted you to Android?
- For me it was a balance of performance, customization and "device capability". I loved the WinMo customization perspective, but it was laggy on most devices and the data usage KILLED any chance of a chargeless night on my 12hr shift. Android offered me more customization than RIM devices, and still gave me great data performance.

Are the multiple versions of Android causing you any headaches? Or are you just waiting patiently for an upgrade? Patient. I can play w/ ROM's between it all.

Which do you prefer? Stock Android, or something like HTC's sense on top of it? I "like" HTC Sense, but my Droid being my first device I really dont have much use with it. I do feel with apps like HOME++ out there you can find your "niche" regardless.

Do you worry about having all of your information in the Google ecosytem?
If you could fix one thing about Android, what would it be?

Nope. I like it being on a single stable environment. I would change the depth of customization. One of the few things that I really ilked about my WinMo phones was how I could DRAMATICALLY change the way the GUI was from the ground up with ease. I have more customization on my Droid than my Blackberry, but it's still not up to WinMo standards. Keep the solid Android design, but give a bit more options.

jeffnucci

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey, everybody. Phil here. And it's time to look at Android from a Windows Mobile perspective. Now, I know a bunch of you came over from WinMo, so I expect some good replies here.

Just came from iPhone, on iPhone I came from BB, from BB I came from WinMo. I can't really make an objective statement...
    I have a rooted Droid... I would love for 2.1 to drop so that the ROM cookers can make an even more stable ROM that I can overclock.
    I haven't had a phone with Sense on it. I love straight up Android but I envy the Sense widgets. I'd love it if you could turn Sense on and off (or can you?) and that it was part of the OS, not just part of HTC's Android builds.
    No. It's the 21st century. I don't care. I don't freaking care... I don't do things online that could get me into trouble.
    The App Launcher/Drawer. It's still fairly lame and IMO unstable.

That's it, folks. Get on it!

Answers in bold...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781