Droid's GPU pwnz Nexus One

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I posted a while back about the difference in the graphics cores for Snapdragon and the Droid, thanks to the OMAP 3430's use of the PVR SGX core.

This article talks to the PVR SGX being first rate, as the iPhone uses it.

Granted the Droid's not going to be using the neon fpu instructions that iPhone uses, which is an ARM thing, the Droid, iPhone, and Palm Pre/Plus have the same graphics core.

Now if only Google could get their NDK to be a bit more mature, we'd see a flood of really good apps. We have the hardware, but no where close to the framework to get iPhone-class apps. We don't even have apps that compare to some of the stuff on the Pre right now, and Google's slovenly pace royally pisses me off. I'm going back to an iPhone, but my Droid will have to remain with me for work reasons. Let's see how this pans out.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...-and-os-beat-nexus-one-for-3d-performance.ars

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I dunno why people complain about the apps in comparison to the iphone. Besides Facebook and Twitter clients being a bit lacking its great.

Everything I've used feels on the level of the iphone. Just the OS isn't as snappy which is due to the underclocked processor, no?

j7469

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Now I'm not a programmer but I would think that if app designers would focus on apps that take advantage of the excellent resolution on the droid and nexus one, the apps would look even better.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Same processor, less mature sdk's. OK so its not EXACTLY the same CPU, iphone's arm is a Samsung cortex a8, differing media and buses but extremely similar.

The Snapdragon was suppose to murder the A8's, but instead its hamstrung by a lackluster graphics core and incomplete SDK. Even if Android's NDK gets neon fpu ops, N1still has a crappy graphics core.

ridavid81

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
iphone is getting old and outdated. theyve had the same ugly design for over 4 years now. so many better looking and more powerful phones on the market than the iphone.

Also i have all the apps I need on my droid. I don't need a selection of 140 thousand apps which are 75% garbage anyhow. I think there are about 1000 fart apps in the apple app store. Full of garbage. And I don't need to play grand theft auto on my phone. I much prefer to play it on a 60" HDTV using my 300 dollar blu-ray PS3.

thanks

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
iphone is getting old and outdated. theyve had the same ugly design for over 4 years now. so many better looking and more powerful phones on the market than the iphone.

Also i have all the apps I need on my droid. I don't need a selection of 140 thousand apps which are 75% garbage anyhow. I think there are about 1000 fart apps in the apple app store. Full of garbage. And I don't need to play grand theft auto on my phone. I much prefer to play it on a 60" HDTV using my 300 dollar blu-ray PS3.

thanks

I dunno dude, I think the crap/good ratio is very similar for Android Market. However we have more functional free stuff, thanks to devs just being able to grab the SDK and publish without being charged. If someone wants to give something away on the app store they still gotta PAY.

Another thing too, don't knock some of the good iPhone games till you've tried em. If you're out and about just waiting for something, these games become quite appealing :) A Droid or iPhone has got the hardware of a PSP 2x over, maybe not in geometry but definitely in fillrate, texturing, and shader capability. Doom: Resurrection shows off better visuals than most PSP games and that game runs quite well on the older iPhone hardware, that the Droid can annihilate right now.

Different strokes I guess, but I love being able to take some entertainment on the go. The Nexus One's Snapdragon is overrated, that's the point I'm trying to make.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Anyone who thinks Apple's App Store is filled with garbage and all of the others, including the Android Marketplace, don't have their fair share of junk apps is simply smoking something.

Now I'm not going to debate iPhone vs Android but let's be honest here, there is no doubt they both have pros and cons respectively. And to the gentleman who said the iPhone has had the same UI for over 4 years... the iPhone has not even been out for 4 years let alone over 4 years.

Why people must flame other devices they don't even own or have no intention of owning is beyond me but it's my opinion that it's a waste of time.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The pre's app catalog has a lot of Fart apps. I was pissed about that. Every app store has crap apps. Verizon's was the worst! When I had my Dare, they wanted 4.99 a month for ebay. It was exactly the same as going to the mobile site, which was free and included in your $15 data plan. The company was smoking crack, and apparently still is, charging $44.99 for smartphone data.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site

thanks

I think you're trying to say the iPhone is overrated, and I agree. I had to setup an exchange account on one recently and having to navigate its overly simplistic, Steve Jobs-inspired interface, reminded me of why I couldn't wait to sell my 3g and jump ship.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12