Microsoft Surface

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Here we go! I've started to look into getting a Microsoft Surface. I already have an iPad 2. But, someone needs to test these new devices.

Has anyone here tried one?

Is it 'worth' it?

Thanks

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Here is my number one problem with it...if you buy a 32 GB tablet, you only get 16 GB of usable space. I have an issue, not with what is left, but with the amount of space taken by the OS. It is like paying for Windows 2X

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The os only takes part of 8 gb with office and the rest of the apps taking the rest of the 8 gb. 5gb are reserved for tools. 3gb are taken basically for formatting, leaving you with 16 gb.

Yes, it is a concern, but I have a 16 gb note 10 and have no issue with space. Of course, there is always the option on the surface as well as the note 10 to add a sd card to expand/supplement storage.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I get that but I do not want to pay for 32 and get 16. Also, and I really have no idea about this, i would want admin privileges and to be able to free up that extra 16GB. 3 GB for formatting? I would need another explanation for that one. I get overhead but that is a tough pill

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I had to configure a brand new Microsoft Surface today for a Partner at work. Lets just say I simply wasn't the least bit impressed and it locked up, too. It reminded me of Windows, period, I had to do a cold boot. It was most annoying really, considering that nothing odd was installed on it yet.

And to make matters worse, we have Exchange 2003, and it doesn't work with the new Office 2013! Hilarious really, Microsoft always trying to get people upgrade and spend money.

We are switching to Office 365 soon and I tested that and that works. I guess the Partner is out of luck till we switch. Ha!

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Here is my number one problem with it...if you buy a 32 GB tablet, you only get 16 GB of usable space. I have an issue, not with what is left, but with the amount of space taken by the OS. It is like paying for Windows 2X

That's true, but when have you ever bought a device that has free space equal to the advertised storage capacity? Even blank hard drives don't, due to manufacturer firmware and the method of calculating capacity.

I don't actually mean to challenge you as I also feel that 16GB for the OS is excessive, but I guess I'm more thinking of those who say "I paid for a 32GB device and I expect 32GB available to store my pics/videos/documents." It's never been done that way, and I don't expect it ever will. I guess we as users just need to consider the actual storage available. If you need 16GB storage, buy a 32GB device. Doesn't necessarily make sense, but that's the way it is.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX