Nokia Experts seeking advice on Google Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2009
nokiaexperts.com
Hello everyone, this is Matt Miller from Nokia Experts kicking off a discussion for the second week of the Smartphone Round Robin. I bought the T-Mobile G1 the day it was launched and still find it to be a very capable Android device. I have tried a couple other Android devices since then and have to admit it is a platform that has my eye and one that I would seriously consider as my daily driver. If you have seen the Nokia N900 Maemo 5 device you would see a lot of similarities between the way Android and Maemo function with desktops and widgets too.

Even though I am quite familiar with the Android platform, I am not an expert and heavy user like you all so here are a few questions I have for you Google Android owners to kick off the discussion:

1. It seems to me that Google doesn't spend much time advertising or promoting Android devices and leaves it up to carriers and manufacturers. Will Google take more of an interest in promoting Android in 2010?
  2. On the devices I have tried, the HTC Sense UI was more compelling than the standard Android interface. There is now MotoBLUR, Samsung TouchWIZ, and HTC Sense. Will all of these interfaces create confusion for the Android platform and upgrades?
  3. What Google Android feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your Android device with a Nokia smartphone?
  4. Will we ever see HTC come out with a follow-up QWERTY keyboard Android device?
  5. If I was thinking about an Android smartphone as my device, what 3 things would you tell me about it to convince me to buy one?

....there's plenty more to talk about, so don't feel limited by the above. Remember, every day you make a post in this thread for the next week, you'll be automatically entered to win a smartphone! More details at www.smartphoneroundrobin.com

ERDude

Oct 21, 2009
www.droidtalk.net
Personally I believe the proprietary UI's have already caused problems with OS updates and app developers.

I.E. Android 1.6 was rolled out shortly after the release of the Sprint Hero. 1.6 housed the CDMA capabilities, Sprint wanted the Sense UI, HTC back ported CDMA into 1.5 in order to run sense. HTC reported that as soon as Sense was compatible with 1.6 we would see an update. Never happened, now we're skipping all other Android updates and going directly to 2.1 1h2010

App Developers: Many apps force closed when installed on the Hero. Many of the early adopters worked with developers to fix these problems. Loopt and HancentSMS are two the come immediately to mind.

I tell people who are looking at Android the 3 top things I love about Android are:

1. Google integration. I'm a user of everything Google, so with Android being Google centric everything I use is available to me whether I'm on my phone, my Mac or a nearby borrowed PC.

2. Androids are very stable, coming from the BB and Palm OS the days of restarting after every app install or performing a battery pull because of memory leaks are over. Signal fluctuations are also a thing of the past.

3. Every Android device I've played with are very well built. They all have a sturdy feel to them. While the hardware may look the same, you have the ability to make the phone "you" because Android is highly customizable.

Reactions: TaeKwonDonkey

Fobok

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if many people outside the geek circles actually pay too close attention to mobile phone operating systems for Google to really start advertising Android phones specifically. On the other hand, I am a geek and I only heard about Android recently, so maybe a little more advertising might be warranted.

I wish I could add more to the conversation, but afraid I'm still actually lacking any smartphones to contribute meaningfully. (Thus my entering this contest. :))

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
1. I really don't think Google needs to. The platform and devices make enough hype without needing any extra encouragement. Its seems like Google has the left the advertising and marketing responsibilities to the carriers and manufacturers.
2. Yes they certainly do, newcomers to Android have so many interfaces to pick from that its almost worrisome if they will pick the right device with the interface that suits them best. I think that these different interfaces will also get in the way of software upgrades because each interface is configured differently so upgrading them is going have different levels of complexity depending on the interface.
3. When I switched from the MyTouch to a Blackberry, the most important thing that I lost was really the google integration; I loved all the google apps and lab and how the phone was like a physical extension of the internet. Switching to BB was like moving to the UK, it was a totally different experience.
4. Of course they will, its only a matter of time before one does come out. I doubt that it will be as bulky or ugly as the G1/Dream but there will another one. Competition encourages these things and I can't imagine how jealous HTC is getting of all the Droid coverage.
5. A. Android is extremely easy to use, you can't get confused by it unless you're under the age of 8 or above 65. Its not complicated at all. B. There are so many apps for so many purposes and as time goes on, and developers learn the platform, they're only guaranteed to get better. C. Android is really in its infancy, the first device with Android only came to the U.S. last year and as more people and developers join, things will only get better. Think of Android 1.0-1.5 as Windows 1.0, its very young and there's a lot of work to be done, and along the way better versions will be launched with their own shortcomings and problems, but one day it'll be the biggest and baddest of them all.

cafe_civet

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Given the hype surrounding the Droid, I think they'll continue with their current strategy.
2. Yes, it's both a bonus and a distraction. They need a method to control the fragmentation.
3. The Googleness of it. Haha, RSS reader, Goggles, gmail
4. I believe this is already in the works for 2010. I prefer the clamshell style. If it wasn't made by Palm, I'd be all over the Pre.
5.Google, a good touch screen, and google

nonie3234

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Not much to add that differs from what's already been said, but I just want to voice "Amen" to Google integration (so easy!) and customization. I hate hate HATE being stuck with the look and apps on a phone that I didn't choose. If you let me make the phone my own - I'll love you forever.

BTW - I have the HTC Eris.

dannzeman

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
  1. It seems to me that Google doesn't spend much time advertising or promoting Android devices and leaves it up to carriers and manufacturers. Will Google take more of an interest in promoting Android in 2010?
  2. On the devices I have tried, the HTC Sense UI was more compelling than the standard Android interface. There is now MotoBLUR, Samsung TouchWIZ, and HTC Sense. Will all of these interfaces create confusion for the Android platform and upgrades?
  3. What Google Android feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your Android device with a Nokia smartphone?
  4. Will we ever see HTC come out with a follow-up QWERTY keyboard Android device?
  5. If I was thinking about an Android smartphone as my device, what 3 things would you tell me about it to convince me to buy one?

1. I think we're starting to see more of that with the Nexus One, although Google isn't directly making any advertisements for it. They do seem to be more 'behind' this device than any other so far, if only slightly.
2. I don't think it will so much create confusion for upgrades but it will delay the upgrade process. It's not as simple as Google just releasing the update to the carriers. It has to go through each developer and then to the end user. I like the differentiation and can live with the slightly slower update process if it means I have a wider variety of choices.
3. The awesome Google integration.
4. I don't have a clue.
5. There's most likely a form factor to fit your preference. Apps. Ease of use.

bahbah

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I think that Google will start doing more advertising. If you look at the Droid, they actually put a link for it on their home page when it was launched. I'm sure this helped to drive a lot of traffic to the product. Also, Android is their platform for capturing the mobile ad space. I'd be willing to bet that over time, they are going to invest more money in the promotion of this type of ad vehicle.

The differences in the UI will certainly create some confusion in the market place, but I think users will benefit from the manufacturers who implement more compelling front ends. This will help Android appeal to more of a mass audience. The current stock Android UI is still viewed as a 'Geeky Device'. By allowing customization, we'll see a lot of innovation in the platform that otherwise may never have been realized. Choice for the consumer is a good thing.

I've not really played with a Nokia smart phone, but from what I hear the app store is not as comprehensive as Android's. I love the ability to add certain apps and customize the experience for my own preferences. The Android market place makes this easy. Also, I love the navigation app on the Droid. I've got the car mount for the device so that when I get in the car, I pop the handset into the dock, the car menu comes up, I touch the voice search button and just say where I want to go and Google finds the location for me. It is the easiest to use Nav implementation I've ever seen. The other application that I'd miss would be Google Listen. I'm a podcast junkie and with Listen there really is no syncing to a computer. It's all done automatically over the air. When I'm in my car, I can stream them to my car radio using A2DP over BT. I never listen to the radio any more. I get the media content I want between Listen and Pandora on demand.

I'm sure that HTC will make another Qwerty device since there are so many people that really prefer an actual keyboard vs. a virtual one.

If you rely on Google services (Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, Google Voice, Google Listen, ...) it's a no brainer. Your existing services will be so easily (and well) integrated with your Android handset that you can't go wrong. Going forward, I'd be willing to bet that the experience will only get better. Starting to use the Droid was so easy for me.

I really think that Android is a huge threat to Nokia. I'm sure that Nokia is scrambling to come up with a more compelling smartphone platform than S60. Whether their Maemo platform is going to be the answer and realize critical mass in time to thwart Android remains to be seen. The clock is ticking.

onlineaddy

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
1. Definitely. Behold the Google Phone(s).
2. I believe so. The ease of use of the iPhone stems partially from the unified platform. Witness the BlackBerry for the converse.
3. All the Google integration.
4. Sure hope so.
5. Google, Open, and Google (again)

NPR_Aficionado

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
[/URL]

Google has it great right now! The carriers and hardware builders are advertising for them. If they can keep that going they will get tons of advertising without paying a dime. I have seen more commercials for the Droid, in a rather short perios, than for the Pre in the last 6mo. This shows how important carrier choice and support is. I don't remember many commercials by T-Mo for the G1, but Verizon is knocking it out of the court!

soccernamlak

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
It seems to me that Google doesn't spend much time advertising or promoting Android devices and leaves it up to carriers and manufacturers. Will Google take more of an interest in promoting Android in 2010?

I hope so, but I don't think they will. They get enough promotion by word of mouth to be honest.

On the devices I have tried, the HTC Sense UI was more compelling than the standard Android interface. There is now MotoBLUR, Samsung TouchWIZ, and HTC Sense. Will all of these interfaces create confusion for the Android platform and upgrades?

No. It allows more customization and options to choose from, in my mind.

What Google Android feature do you think you'd miss the most if somebody replaced your Android device with a Nokia smartphone?

Google Maps with Navigation

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Unless Google goes it alone, they should let the carriers and mfg's to the ads.

It would be nice to have all options on every android phone....wait, they are working on that. I find it amazing how developers/hackers/etc. find a way to make almost anything work on android.

Would miss Google Navigation. This has replaced my GPS and is actually better.

Sayo

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm thinking I'll take my time and answer each question individually this week so as to keep a conversational tone throughout the week. I didn't initially realize that the Monday questions given would be the only ones posed throughout the thread...

It seems to me that Google doesn't spend much time advertising or promoting Android devices and leaves it up to carriers and manufacturers. Will Google take more of an interest in promoting Android in 2010?

Well, with Google's current divergent platform of units running Android 1.5, 1.6, and 2.1, (not to mention the various UI overlays that currently exist as well as those yet to exist) it's not easy to advertise their platform. Specific features are a matter of the phone in question, even app compatibility is suspect depending on OS version. The HTC ads have shown that a manufacturer can be successful advertising their version of Android usage. Thus, in my opinion, they should just let the carriers and manufacturer's release the ads while Google continues to update their free-for-use OS.

Last edited:

hionhifi

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Go Google Android!

1. I think Google will continue to stay hands off with regard to advertising. Thus far they haven't seemed to take much interest so I don't see that changing in near future. Especially since Verizon & Motorola have done such a great job advertising the Droid.

2. I think competition and variety make this marketplace fun to be in. People will have there favorite but again that is a positive thing.

3. I would miss the overall user interface and the synergy that my Google G1 has with things like Maps, Marketplace, Contacts, Mails, and Calender functions.

4. I would tell you that the Android Interface is sexy, slick, fast, and fun. My G1 for example even though a 1st Gen Android phone has really impressed me. Its robust, reliable, has a real keyboard and is solid phone that does the phone thing very well, which is most important.

Last edited:

Fobok

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
It's very possible that Google will start an ad campaign in the space they know best... online. TV ads really don't fit for the Android phones except for specific phones like the Droid. But, I can see the Android phones popping up on web ads a lot more in the future.

klebron23

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Google has it great right now! The carriers and hardware builders are advertising for them. If they can keep that going they will get tons of advertising without paying a dime. I have seen more commercials for the Droid, in a rather short perios, than for the Pre in the last 6mo. This shows how important carrier choice and support is. I don't remember many commercials by T-Mo for the G1, but Verizon is knocking it out of the court!

Google is definitely benefiting from all of the advertising Verizon is doing for them with the Droid. I agree that I have also seen more commercials for the Droid than I have for any other device and more and more people are starting to buy into all of the hype and get an Android device.

cafe_civet

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone else want to see an Android phone with a Pre-like form factor? Obviously this would be from a high quality hardware maker like HTC, Palm's keyboards are pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.