Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moving to an N1 from Palm Pre

Im joining you guys from the realms of precentral. Loved the Pre, webOS and all its features. But the build quality just couldnt deliver. There is no way it would have lasted a 2 year contract.

So dodging apple and its iphone, im joining the Android folk.

The build of the N1 looks good, and it has the hardware and build quality to last.

Look forward to perusing your forums for all the little nuggets i can find

Quote Originally Posted by Postal Dude View Post
    Im joining you guys from the realms of precentral. Loved the Pre, webOS and all its features. But the build quality just couldnt deliver. There is no way it would have lasted a 2 year contract.

So dodging apple and its iphone, im joining the Android folk.

The build of the N1 looks good, and it has the hardware and build quality to last.

Look forward to perusing your forums for all the little nuggets i can find
    I moved over from the Pre myself and couldn't be happier. I never had the oreo problem on my Pre but I did manage to get two nice gouges on the display from normal use.

I haven't had the courage to root my N1 yet, but I think I will in the next week or so and see what the custom roms do to make this phone even better.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

I also came over from the Pre and couldn't be happier.
    I went through 5 Pre's in a 7 month window -- finally bailed when the USB-port hairline crack appeared and Sprint said it was user damage (having the easy-out with the fee increase didn't hurt either!)

I've a feelin' your going to love the N1.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

wow... two Pre to N1 users having similar issues that are making me move. Very good to hear from you guys... I have a hair line crack in the top left hand corner of phone. Plus what appears to be stress cracks all across the screen. They arent fully blown cracks, but at the right angle you can see where it wants to crack.

Just got email from google.. my N1 has been shipped. Hopefully here before weekend

Sorry. I just got to be the one to say it. You are making a big mistake dude. The Pre? Yeah, it's a good device, but it has far far more drawbacks, IMO, than the Android phones.

Multitasking is available in WebOS, but so far the hardware is not capable of doing much running of more than one app on the Pre without some serious lag. Effectively, this negates the multitasking capability. If you really want multitasking, true multitasking, then your choices are the Droid and N1. Once, you eliminate multitasking from the requirements, the choice is either the iPhone or any Android phone. That's just my opinion.

I think you are making a terrible mistake. Palm is not the way to go. At least, not until they drastically improve their hardware.

EDIT!!! EDIT!!!
    OOOPS!!!!!!! Dude. Really sorry man. In my haste, I thought you were going from N1 to Pre. SORRY! I've edited and ammended to my earlier post.

Um, welcome to Android.
    EDIT!!! EDIT!!!
    Last edited by beaker; 01-19-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: addition
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Beaker:

That was hilarious... and very confusing.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Following up on Beaker's post, my first thought was you were moving to the Pre as well, probably because of the ordering of N1 and Palm Pre. Either way, everything Beaker said holds true on my experiences on the Pre.

So, if anybody actually is thinking about moving to the Pre -- read Beaker's post .

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

i am on a pre, and while i have not had any issues with the phone itself, minus the time i get it wet at the pool (they replaced for me no prob), it is just too slow and laggy and is not getting the app support that i had hoped.

i have until march to get out of contract no ETF per the regulatory fee thing, i am just trying to decide N1 or Droid. i like the droid but am worried about the slower processor/ram, but the N1 seems to be having some issues.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nugga View Post
    i am on a pre, and while i have not had any issues with the phone itself, minus the time i get it wet at the pool (they replaced for me no prob), it is just too slow and laggy and is not getting the app support that i had hoped.

i have until march to get out of contract no ETF per the regulatory fee thing, i am just trying to decide N1 or Droid. i like the droid but am worried about the slower processor/ram, but the N1 seems to be having some issues.
    Getting out without a fee is clutch.

As for the reported issues with the N1 -- I haven't encountered any of them. I'm getting the impression these issues, while lousy for those affected, are not as widespread as the reported issues are on the Pre (speed, crappy build quality, necessity to patch/homebrew to make it worth da damn).

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I legitimately have zero complains w/the N1.
    Original Member

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Wow, a lot of people bailing on the Pre... good to see.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    Wow, a lot of people bailing on the Pre... good to see.
    Thing was built like a POS. A device shouldn't require 5 replacements in a 7 month window because of factory defects.

That, coupled with Sprints lousy customer service drove me away.

Went to replace my 5th device due to a manufacturers error, and they told me I had to shell out a hundred bucks through Asurian as it was user damage.

Given the rate hike, and ability to leave without and ETF the question was pretty straightforward:
    Spend a $100 on a device that will most likely break over the next few months
    vs
    Spend $170 on a cutting edge device that is built better.
    Original Member

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by inrelief View Post
    Thing was built like a POS. A device shouldn't require 5 replacements in a 7 month window because of factory defects.

That, coupled with Sprints lousy customer service drove me away.

Went to replace my 5th device due to a manufacturers error, and they told me I had to shell out a hundred bucks through Asurian as it was user damage.

Given the rate hike, and ability to leave without and ETF the question was pretty straightforward:
    Spend a $100 on a device that will most likely break over the next few months
    vs
    Spend $170 on a cutting edge device that is built better.
    Trust me, no need to explain all of that to me. I know all about it.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I have to say im sad to see all the bailing on the Pre. I really like patching it to my own personal needs. WebOS is still in infancy and its still a very powerful platform. Put a tempered glass touchscreen and a better slider mechanism on it and it would be awesome...

maybe then i would have defected to N1 in a year or so, rather than the 3 months iv had it

I love Palm Pre and it's most intuitive way to handle multitasking.. However, i'm still selling it due to loving my Nexus One..

I think Google needs something similar to handle multitasking and switching between opened apps..

I hope Palm really makes some big progress with 1.4 FW. Also if Pre Plus is better built, like they say,.. i might go back till then, i'll play with nexus
    Last edited by undefined; 01-20-2010 at 04:21 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Lets see, Palm has had the Pre out since June, biggest complaints were laggy platform and even worse hardware issues.... I know, lets fix the hardware issue, but overlook the other problems by negating wifi, having a smaller screen, slower processor... WOOHOO!
    The people at Palm were more worried about selling more new devices than fixing the problems with older ones. As soon as build quality reports came out, they stopped advertising in the US and instead went to Canada, UK and Germany... Completely ignoring people here in the US. I was one of those that on top of going through 5 Pre's due to their wonderful structure, they also lost ALL of my contacts. I put things on Google's server after that, but I still lost all the contacts from when I switched to the Pre from Verizon and before I got the Hero on Sprint. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of GSM phones... I've never tried T-mobile, about the only nationwide company I haven't tried, but right now:
    ATT= complete garbage. Worst Phone call quality EVER. Didn't use data back then, will NEVER go back. You couldn't pay me to use an Iphone.
    Verizon= great coverage nationwide, never had an issue with a device, but $$$$$
    Sprint= cheap, great call quality, but you get what you pay for in the service department. Phones aren't anything to write home to mom about, but since switching to the Hero, I've been happy with the build quality, signal strength and call quality.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I also came from a Pre. Took care of that phone like it was a baby and ended up with 2 cracks after 4 months. No way that thing would have lasted the contract. Extremely happy with my N1.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I have the Pre, N1,and an unlocked Iphone 2G. I havent experienced any of the problems others have with the Pre. I bought the Pre the first day it came out, and I also purchased the N1 when it first came out to replace my Iphone.

The Pre is still my primary phone, and I'm using the same Pre I had since day 1. No scratches , no cracks, just minor software issues I have, that have been and/or hopefully will be fixed soon with a update or patch. The multitasking is great, and I type more acurate and faster on the pre's physical keyboard, than I do with the IPhone/N1.

I've had my N1 for about a week and I enjoy it, and would probably make it primary, but most of my problems with the N1 have to do with Tmobile's service more than anything. I have spotty 3G service and poor service alltogether where I work.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

This was moved? That's a mistake.
    This was directly relating to the N1.

i also had a Palm Pre and got out of Sprint w/o the ETF fee this January and purchased a Nexus One. best decision ever!
    Thanks,
    @d0lph1nK1ng
    http://dolphinking-software.com