Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default New Droid user(Thoughts coming from Pre and few questions)

I just got a Droid this week and so far I am loving it.

I am coming from a Palm Pre. While there are some things I miss about the Pre such as its messaging layout, notifications, and cards. I love how responsive the Droid is, no hang ups or freezing like Pre sometimes did.

I really love the home screen and widgets. I have downloaded a lot of cool and needed apps Pandora, Seesmic, Shazam etc. The one glaring weakness i find with Droid is messaging system, it really leaves a lot to be desired.

I have read some reviews and it seems to be pretty split between Handcent and ChompSms. Any thoughts on which are better and may be closest to Pre or any other ones out there I may be overlooking? Also any must have apps? I use my phone a lot but mostly personal stuff and for entertainment, I have a blackberry for work stuff.

Thanks for reading through my long post and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Handcent is a must.
    Google gestures is neat.
    Dialer One is also very good.
    Gdocs notes is good for memos. It also syncs with Google documents.
    After I found the main apps I used, I uninstalled everything else to keep it as simple as possible.
    One more thing, do not install a task manager/killer. Android is designed to manage its own memory. Welcome to android!

Quote Originally Posted by tberg View Post
    I just got a Droid this week and so far I am loving it.

I am coming from a Palm Pre. While there are some things I miss about the Pre such as its messaging layout, notifications, and cards. I love how responsive the Droid is, no hang ups or freezing like Pre sometimes did.

I really love the home screen and widgets. I have downloaded a lot of cool and needed apps Pandora, Seesmic, Shazam etc. The one glaring weakness i find with Droid is messaging system, it really leaves a lot to be desired.

I have read some reviews and it seems to be pretty split between Handcent and ChompSms. Any thoughts on which are better and may be closest to Pre or any other ones out there I may be overlooking? Also any must have apps? I use my phone a lot but mostly personal stuff and for entertainment, I have a blackberry for work stuff.

Thanks for reading through my long post and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    The messaging app is really personal preference, I prefer Handcent because of the customization, although to be fair, I've never tried Chomp, I got Handcent, liked it, so I kept it..as far as suggested apps, in the Forum there is a thread for FAQ's which has a section for suggested apps here.
    Quote Originally Posted by philip.stinger
    Is it lazy or just fully utilizing the technology at your disposal?