1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does anyone else feel severly let down by this phone?

First I must point out that I don't care about not having root, or not being able to unlock the bootloader. While I would love those things, that isn't why I choose my phones.

I don't care that it's not dual core.

I like the phone itself, the look and feel are great. My hinge is already getting a little loose, but I don't even care about that.

My biggest issue is that I hold in my hands a "Playstation Certified Phone" with a single playstation game. And it's Crash Bandicoot? All that I find in the xperia app are iPhone ports, none of which are all that great even. Here in the US we aren't even getting the Playstation App. Any PSOne games will be released into the market, but none are expected until this fall. So I've basically got a Playstation branded phone that can't play any playstation games for another few months. Even so, there are only a handful. Sony really dropped the ball on that.

Secondly, why on earth would you create a gaming phone with such little memory that you can only even install a handfull of games on? With only 4 games on my phone plus the apps I use on a daily basis, I've already gotten the low memory warning. FAIL!!

I know I can use an emulator to play the PSOne games I want, and I do, but I don't think I'm crazy for thinking that sony should be the one to put it's own catalog onto their phone. And I know it would be impossible to see every game available at once, but come on...Crash Bandicoot?!?!

Everyone keeps saying games are coming! Games are coming, but if you read around, this phone is not a big seller, and I think it will get left behind other phones in development.

I thought I was buying a phone for gaming. What I got was a subpar phone you can play games on. hardly makes the gamepad worth it if there isn't any good games to play on it.

That coupled with the constant connection issues just makes me kinda sad. I thought this phone was going to have more potential.

I just needed to get that off my chest.
    Thanks.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts

Default Re: Does anyone else feel severly let down by this phone?

For me I really only got this phone because of emulators and for that it works great but I HATE what little memory is on the phone cause I also and stuck with the phone space low warning and I cant stand that. So ill say for playing games the phone is great I like it but as far as a phone I hate it. It freezes all the time I cant install many apps because of the little memory and I have connection problems all the time
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by GivenToFly View Post
    First I must point out that I don't care about not having root, or not being able to unlock the bootloader. While I would love those things, that isn't why I choose my phones.

I don't care that it's not dual core.

I like the phone itself, the look and feel are great. My hinge is already getting a little loose, but I don't even care about that.

My biggest issue is that I hold in my hands a "Playstation Certified Phone" with a single playstation game. And it's Crash Bandicoot? All that I find in the xperia app are iPhone ports, none of which are all that great even. Here in the US we aren't even getting the Playstation App. Any PSOne games will be released into the market, but none are expected until this fall. So I've basically got a Playstation branded phone that can't play any playstation games for another few months. Even so, there are only a handful. Sony really dropped the ball on that.

Secondly, why on earth would you create a gaming phone with such little memory that you can only even install a handfull of games on? With only 4 games on my phone plus the apps I use on a daily basis, I've already gotten the low memory warning. FAIL!!

I know I can use an emulator to play the PSOne games I want, and I do, but I don't think I'm crazy for thinking that sony should be the one to put it's own catalog onto their phone. And I know it would be impossible to see every game available at once, but come on...Crash Bandicoot?!?!

Everyone keeps saying games are coming! Games are coming, but if you read around, this phone is not a big seller, and I think it will get left behind other phones in development.

I thought I was buying a phone for gaming. What I got was a subpar phone you can play games on. hardly makes the gamepad worth it if there isn't any good games to play on it.

That coupled with the constant connection issues just makes me kinda sad. I thought this phone was going to have more potential.

I just needed to get that off my chest.
    Thanks.
    I find it interesting that you get the low memory issue with only a few games and your daily apps. Doing some rough math with 10 games and just over 100 apps I still have 93mb of internal memory available. Have you ever tried sending the apps to your SD card instead of complaining about space. I can see getting nearly 150 apps at least on the phone before running into memory problems.

Also what is it you mean by connection issues. If you mean dropped calls I have yet to have one or even have the phone lock up. I bought the phone at launch and can say this is the best phone to use for gaming and is also nice and fast as a basic smartphone.

The only issue I had was the 8gb card was too small for everything I have and had to get a 16gb card and almost have that full.

As of right now I have put roughly 80 apps on my phone (Not sure how many came with the phone but I have 102 total). I am at 93mb on the internal memory. I have 5 gameloft games, minecraft and more than enough games for emulation. If you are using that many apps daily, how do you have time to eat sleep or even work?

Since I am new to smartphones I have no way to compare it to others but I can in no way see using over 100 apps daily so I can't see this phone as being weak in the memory department. All I can guess is that neither of you have put them on the sd card and that would be where your issue is.

This is in no way me being a jerk. Sorry if it sounds this way but I have dealt with many others complaining about the memory issue that really and truly does not exists.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,601 Global Posts

Loving mine. I have 73 apps and ~60MB left.

For Memory Issues
    *posted by somebody else on on XDA Developers*

Do you know how to use adb?
    if you do, connect your device, open a prompt, navigate to the platform-tools folder inside the android sdk, and input......

adb shell

pm setInstallLocation 2

reboot

once your device boots, you will notice alot more apps can be moved to the sd card

(Link to the thread on XDA-Developers: )

I am not rooted (there is a way, but i'm waiting for the r800x update coming out sometime (Sony Ericsson needs to get the update out to verizon.)

Right now i have 91 apps installed and have 114mbs free, i've had over 130 apps installed and over 60mbs free.

For More PSX Games
    It takes a little work, but if you have your PSX discs around, you can have more PSX games on your play. I have several right now, and it is awesome.

Video Tutorial:

For More PSX Games from the Manufactors
    Yes, you have to wait. Why? That's an awesome question that if I knew the answer to, I would tell you. It ranks up there with, "When is Diablo 3 coming out?" and "When will Fox Studios realize how dumb they are and start up Firefly Again?"

Gamepad Issues
    I have played a few Gameloft games, and was severely disappointed by their touchpad support. Glu games have a better feel for the touchpads and it is useable.

Reception Issues
    Yes, the phone has reception issues. So did my HTC Aria running 2.1. When 2.2 came out (officially, not a custom Rom) It fixed some (not all) of the issues. Wait and see if the next update (r800x is only running 2.3.2, offical Android is up to 2.3.6) fixes some of the issues, we might get lucky (or we might have to root and use a custom rom, who knows, this phone is new.)

Any questions?

Nope feel severly uplifted by mine. Sure could use more memory but I still have plenty left for apps.

ROM
    My own builds

I almost got this phone but I didn't get it because it wasn't duo core or had 4g LTE.

Dual core is still at the introduction phase, so there aren't very many good reasons to get one (its kinda like when PCs first got dual cores and not very many programs used them to their full extent, give it a year or two) and in the US, 4G LTE isn't everywhere, so it's kinda pointless if you aren't in a 4G LTE area...

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Okay...the one thing that really lets me down is the camera! Unless I'm missing something, there is no zoom (I guess I should have read the specs better) and unless you are close up the detail isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by ddthld View Post
    Okay...the one thing that really lets me down is the camera! Unless I'm missing something, there is no zoom (I guess I should have read the specs better) and unless you are close up the detail isn't there.
    Yupp, you're right, the camera does suck (so far) updates might fix it, but i know i got my phone because it does games!! :P

on xda-developers, i think they're looking into it. (we have some awesome developers on xda for this phone)
    QSM

I am.

No proxy, Everything needs internet for god sake, give me a break THAT SHOULD BE ESSENTIAL.
    No PlayStation games.
    Ringtone sound too low.
    "brightness"? not only that, the whole screen is messed up and can't never be compared to other devices.
    Memory toooooooo low, I can't keep nothing in it. I have to delete A LOT every time it runs out.
    Camera is very unstable. Video is not bad though.

Three big and major companies and that is what we get?!!!!!! You have gotta be kidding me.
    I am simply SICK of going around looking for solutions.
    Last edited by QSM; 10-03-2011 at 02:49 PM.

I play NES, SNES and Genesis games on this thing.
    I have a news reader for my reading.
    Kindle app.
    About 20 other apps.
    I use the camera to take inventory pics.
    I have plenty of memory and space left over.
    It has almost bone stock Android 2.3.3.

It all works unlike my buggy Motorola DroidX that this replaced. Blur is the devil.

I love this phone.

Im disappointed. Maybe it is not xperia plays fault. I was hoping to play games on the go. Anytime, anywhere.

In reality, I didn't play at all. I took a 1 week vacation recently and didn't play any games on my xperia play nor my nintendo 3ds.
    Maybe I'm getting old. Or maybe the games on xperia play are crap.

Anyways ill be selling this sometime soon swaping for an iphone 4s or nexus prime.

I heard that it runs into the low on space problem. This would be quite disappointing coming from a Droid incredible which is also notorious for having this problem.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I hate games i just got the phone cause the 4 inch screen, and didn't kill my wallet, so it never lags, smooth, have PLENTY of memory. Its great.

Quote Originally Posted by ele5 View Post
    I hate games i just got the phone cause the 4 inch screen, and didn't kill my wallet, so it never lags, smooth, have PLENTY of memory. Its great.
    The OnLive app makes it 1000 times better.

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

I finally got mine yesterday, and so far I kinda like the phone. Its different. Im mainly just let down by Verizon. I cant get over the fact they switched from unlimited data plans, to limited data and charge $10 per gb for overage. Come on now, its a smart phone, every thing about it uses data, even processes running in the background. Limited data plans on smartphones are things of the past, and Verizon switching from unlimited to limited just tells me they do not care about their customers, they just want to screw them for every penny! Not to mention Verizon, in the process of stripping the phone of some of its intended apps, and functions, Verizon messed something up with the Facebook Sync Manager, so if you want to Sync Facebook contacts with your Phone contacts you have to use a 3rd party app!

As far as the games go, i have only played the star battalion or whatever its called, and I was AMAZED, how nice the graphics are, and how smooth it ran, and how responsive the analog thumb sticks were, very impressed!

The main thing that stood out to me is that games don't tax the battery like every other device I've owned. I can play Gun Bros or Rainbow Six and not see red on my battery icon after playing for 45 minutes. This means so much to me that I'm not gonna buy another phone unless it's a PlayStation Certified phone with and slide-out gamepad that's made by Sony. I had been accustomed to getting phones with subpar battery lives a the Xplay was a breath of fresh air.

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk

I got this phone as a gift and I'm not a serious gamer but being able to have something to get me through a dead night at work is awesome. Sick of just having facebook or angry birds as a filler. My rating for this phone shot up when GTA came out for its 10th year anniversary. It doesnt have the BIGGEST selection of PS1, PS2, or PSX games but its not all gonna come in this soon. I'm not worried because I have yet to see a successor to it yet. If I did, then I'd be worried because itd be the end of our support for games. For whats out now from Gameloft especially, I am very content. Playing GTA, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, BBC2, and Twisted Metal 2, I am super happy. Plus the other 6 or so games I have. Be happy you arent playing touchscreen!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

I love my play its rooted with locked bootlaoder, and it rapes all. Its a GAME phone!!!

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

this phone is brilliant

So far I love this phone...everything about it is great.