My "new" PLAY

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I just got my Xperia PLAY a couple of days ago. I wasn't sure about getting it since my OG Droid was running good on Project Elite 6.5, but one showed up locally on Criagslist and I was able to get it for $150. The phone was only turned on once and still had the factory plastic on it.

I'm not much of a gamer so the included games are good enough for me.

What really suprised me was the screen and being able to use in direct sunlight, its a nice break during the kids soccer games.

The battery is also killer. I'm a light user and as I type this the phone has been off charger for 38 hours and I'm at 52% battery left. Cell Standby (39%) and Phone Idle (37%) are the major users. WiFi is 18%, Display 3%, Android System 3% and Voice Calls 3%. The screen on time is 1h 49m. Brightness is at ~33% and gets turned off after phone use is done. This just kills my Droid.

Anyway...the phone seems to be exponentially better then the Droid in every aspect. :D

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You got a great deal. ;) The Play is really a fast phone since it's running Vanilla Gingerbread but it just seems to get lost among the VZW Droid-branded and LTE Android devices. It's only hardware fault is the lack of internal memory allocated for App storage.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
And the best part is still have my upgrade and discount intact for the next "superphone" :D
You can't beat that,especially with so many "Superphones" in the pipeline. The Bionic,Droid Prime,......who knows what else. :-$ One nice thing now is you can actually use the Xperia Play's FFC on Skype.

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm now at approximately 49 hours unplugged and about 22% battery left.

Still pretty light use. Farkle and TuneIn Radio (via WiFi) for about an hour. Bunch of texts and hour or so talk.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I love this phone. Radio seems a bit weak, but the performance and battery life are great.

I also think the screen looks great. I've used SAMOLED+, retina, qHD, and the VZN Xperia PLAY's screen is almost as good. I think the GSM version may have a lower quality display or something.

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm finally giving up and putting the PLAY on the charger. Final stats on the battery:

Time off Charger - 2 days 13 hours
Battery - 11% left
Cell Standby - 34%
Phone Idle - 32%
WiFi - 19%
Android System - 12%
Display 3% with 3 hours 27 minutes on
Voice Calls - 2%

All in all that seems pretty damn good. I like the screen too, better then the OG Droid. I also liked the screen on the Storm2.

Now its time to start pushing the battery a little and see what happens! :p

lyshote

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I just got my play 2 days ago. I got it from best buy. I asked them to price match amazon price of a penny. They came back and said they could do 25 dollars.

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I did find one thing that is kindda disappointing with the PLAY. The camera takes good enough pics, but there is no zoom (or at least I haven't found it yet). I'm liking the looks of the Xperia's but none of them are CDMA. :'(

kajunguy

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Got my xperia play a month ago and luv this phone. Came from a rooted Eris which was on its last leg. Was not in the mood to pay 300 for a new super phone right now, since there is always something new coming down the line. My battery life on this phone has been phenomenal. I have not kept a log but do know I do not have to carry around chargers everywhere I go anymore.

mrluky60

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
i too have great batt life,have my play for days now and i find that this is an underated phone,i have the xperia play 4g. at&t.why has this phone been kept hidden from us all it is a super entertainer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair