For X-Mas

KTamez

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I am looking at getting this for my phone for my young son. It may sound dumb, but he for a young boy (currently 8), he is very mature, and think he will do fine with a phone in general, that will mostly be left in his room for me to call/text him on. His mom and I just divorced earlier this year.

Some might look at me stupid for buying a $350 phone (Free thru Amazon, $350 if I canbcel it is the way I see it) but it kills two birds with one stone. A phone for my son and I to communicate with, and he will love one that can be alot like his PSP that essentially has already been hand-me-downed to his little brother (3yo).

That said I am still wanting to lockdown the phone as well as possible, and have seen in some places where it has been rooted and others (on the first page here) where it can't.

I don't expect data over-usage to be a problem as I said, if I explain it to him he will use it sparingly (remember, he's not the typical 8 y/o), but I'd like to be pro-active, about it. Supposedly the market was adding a feature to password protect app purchases (much like App Store with Apple). I can download apps directly to him on the PC obviously, and thats how I'd like to keep it.

If I could actually root/freeze alot of apps like the browser /market it might be great if it didn't wreak havoc on the OS and the way it works. It'd be great if I could specifiy the $15 plan, though I think it will have a $30 2gb plan minimum for service.

Otterbox just in case, some find my phone type apps from trend micro or lookout, just in case, anything else I am missing that I should think of?

enough rambling on my part....

paxchristos

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Follow the Xperia Play Android Development forum at xda developers. Focus on the R800x, as that's the American version. Currently the hole they were using to unlocked the bootloader (needed for root) has been (hopefully) temporarily closed.

Its your money, spend it how you want, dude.
If you feel your son is mature enough for it, it's your choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15