Htc vivid or ion ?

rn.labib

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi , I am eligible for upgrade and I'm comparing Between the vivid and Ion. I owned HTC aria and HTC inspire . They both worked great for about 1 year then I started to have problems like phone randomly restarting in its own many times during the day .
Anyone tried HTC and xperia before please provide your feedback about both.
Any idea about the ion release date ?
Thanks

deveron3

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the Xperia Ion. I've had good experiences with Sony Ericsson, and I would expect that their switch to only 'Sony' would not change that. The Ion has a 12 megapixel camera, the ability to take pictures in less than 1.5 seconds from unlock, full hd screen, android 2.3.7, hdmi out, 16gb onboard storage (you can add more with a micro-sd card), and guaranteed upgrade to ice cream sandwich (assuming it doesn't simply ship with ICS to begin with).

I'm going with the Xperia Ion for all these reasons, and because my favorite developer on xda-developers is getting one as well (DoomLord). Given that Sony/Sony Ericsson has provided support to the cyanogenmod teams (the group for Sony devices is FreeXperia) I see that as a possible benefit. They will probably continue to assist cyanogenmod devs in the future. :)

Aceroller

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the Xperia Ion. I've had good experiences with Sony Ericsson, and I would expect that their switch to only 'Sony' would not change that. The Ion has a 12 megapixel camera, the ability to take pictures in less than 1.5 seconds from unlock, full hd screen, android 2.3.7, hdmi out, 16gb onboard storage (you can add more with a micro-sd card), and guaranteed upgrade to ice cream sandwich (assuming it doesn't simply ship with ICS to begin with).

I'm going with the Xperia Ion for all these reasons, and because my favorite developer on xda-developers is getting one as well (DoomLord). Given that Sony/Sony Ericsson has provided support to the cyanogenmod teams (the group for Sony devices is FreeXperia) I see that as a possible benefit. They will probably continue to assist cyanogenmod devs in the future. :)

deveron.....good points. I am actually leaving BlackBerry after many many years for Android. Do you think this phone will be a good starting point? I love the specs, but have no idea about the reliability of the different manufactures. Any feedback from anyone will be helpful. Also I can upgrade on AT&T on 4-14-12, will it be out by then? Thanks.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Ion hands down. Higher quality all around, plus you get a higher res screen and a camera that is leaps and bounds better.

DrDubzz

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
does anyone feel like the ion is already behind the curve with the S3 processor?

I realize something newer and better will always be around the corner, but I'm upgrading at the end of the month, I have my eye on this phone, but if I can wait another 3-6 weeks for a noticeably better product, I'll wait

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
does anyone feel like the ion is already behind the curve with the S3 processor?

I realize something newer and better will always be around the corner, but I'm upgrading at the end of the month, I have my eye on this phone, but if I can wait another 3-6 weeks for a noticeably better product, I'll wait

The One X definitely has better hardware, but I bet it won't be out til this summer. The ION is a nice phone, with a slightly dated processor. But judging by the hands-on of the Xperia S (basically the same phone) it'll run really well. And it has a really nice camera.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Always something better coming out. Its never ending. So imo, get the device that does what you want.

I'm coming from an htc aria, so any phone from 2011-on is better lol, but i need a quick camera(kids are quick to do cute things), ability to watch movies in HD and just more storage and speed overall. Ion seems to fit the bill at the moment.

lucidlyseen

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
The One X definitely has better hardware, but I bet it won't be out til this summer. The ION is a nice phone, with a slightly dated processor. But judging by the hands-on of the Xperia S (basically the same phone) it'll run really well. And it has a really nice camera.

This summer? Really? I hope your wrong on that (hoping for an April release) - but right now the two I have narrowed it down too are the Ion and the One X, so release schedule will probably decide it for me.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I was watching a video this afternoon from January & the Sony tech guy was saying that the Ion had a separate graphics processor & that it frees up quite a bit of power for the main processor. May be saying it wrong, will try to find the video again & add it in.

Edit: Link to video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiyg3l5GfnU

I do like that it comes with HDMI out & dedicated camera button. Not that those are huge items issues for most, but cool.

The screen is suppose to have a difference in the HD category t as well.

Going to go find the video as obviously worse than the avg. big box store kid explaining tech stuff.
Just wish they could firm up the release date. Q2 is kind of vague & always subject to change.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This summer? Really? I hope your wrong on that (hoping for an April release) - but right now the two I have narrowed it down too are the Ion and the One X, so release schedule will probably decide it for me.

I definitely could be wrong, but historically AT&T isn't in line with international release dates. They are typically a little bit behind them.