Can unlocked phone without carrier get OS update?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
A friend who works for Sony gave me an unlocked Xperia Play R800a a while ago. This phone is not on a carrier and has an empty sim card slot so I assume it's a GSM phone. Since I already have a Razr Maxx on Verizon, I just use this Xperia Play as a gaming/web surfing unit. It came with Android 2.3.2.

My question is, can I update this phone to the latest Android OS available for the phone, or does it need to be on a carrier? Whenever I try the System Update from the Settings menu (while connected to my home Wifi), it goes through the motions but fails because it says it can't connect to the network. I have also tried updating it using the PC Companion software, but this always says my phone is up to date. Isn't the Xperia Play up to 2.3.4 by now?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wow, 272 views and no answers? I saw in some recent news articles that Sony has committed to updating a bunch of its Xperia phones, including the Play, to ICS, but that it would have to be done using the PC Companion, and that ICS actually might not work that well with some of their phones. Supposedly, the update for the Xperia S will be ready by mid-April, and the rest of the phones some time after that.

Lemmy666

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong but you may need a SIM card for the phone to receive the update. Have you been able to confirm that it's carrier unlocked?

Worse comes to worse you could root it lol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying! Was starting to feel a little lonely. I'm pretty sure it's unlocked--I received it as a gift from someone who works at what used to be Sony Ericcson. I believe the model number, R800a, is not associated with any carrier.

Lemmy666

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It appears it is the unlocked version. And there is a 2.3.4 update available. If the phone won't connect I would thin that it's because you don't have a SIM card in. You may be out of luck.:confused: