Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default So who's getting the Ion?

I know this phones release has been a long time coming, so I was just wondering how many of us are still getting the ion. I'm definitely going for it, I've always liked Sony Ericsson phones and I'd like to support Sony now that they're out on their own. So, who else is in?

Default Re: So who's getting the Ion?

Depends on how close they are to getting ics and if the screen and camera are better than the HTC One X. I was all for this phone until the one x showed its face.

The one x can be had for $100 at SAMs club. I wonder if the ION will be $50 or less at amazon or club store. Either way I have until August to figure it out.

I'm very curious about the ION.Really should have been given the S4 Processor for better battery life,especially with LTE,non-removable battery,and big,beautiful screen.The price is right,though. Just wish AT&T had picked up the Xperia ARC S since so many were turned off by the original X10.
    "I'm all jack'd up on Mountain Dew!"

Didn't the ion have a clear line across the bottom with light up capacitive buttons? The pics up now just show a plain black bar phone. Or am I thinking of a different Sony phone???
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    Didn't the ion have a clear line across the bottom with light up capacitive buttons? The pics up now just show a plain black bar phone. Or am I thinking of a different Sony phone???
    You're thinking of the Xperia S, which came out internationally. The ion is the U.S. variant. It's kind of a bummer the translucent bar seems to be left out, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I know someone that had the S, and the bar was pretty, but it didn't do anything except light up. The buttons were actually little dots above the bar that were difficult to hit accurately. That being said, I really thought the design was great and it's too bad it wasn't improved upon for the ion.
    Last edited by paul-c; 06-14-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    Thanked by:
    erwaso 

Looks like the S got ICS today. Ion update can't be far!!!!!!
    Thanked by:
    paul-c 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I saw that too, erwaso. Things are looking pretty good for the ion. I want to see Sony's take on Ice Cream Sandwich. They definitely know it needs to show up sooner rather than later.

Sort of disappointing, the Xperia ION is scheduled for release tomorrow and there's still not one AT&T-branded ION unboxing video / review posted on YouTube. It seems lost between the iPhone,SGS3, and even the WP 7 Lumia 900.

Quote Originally Posted by experiment626 View Post
    Sort of disappointing, the Xperia ION is scheduled for release tomorrow and there's still not one AT&T-branded ION unboxing video / review posted on YouTube. It seems lost between the iPhone,SGS3, and even the WP 7 Lumia 900.
    Yeah seriously. It's being treated like a low end phone cuz of gingerbread and probably also lack of information about it since January imo. Regardless, I'm glad there are several options for those of us staying with ATT.

At the moment this phone is going against the Skyrocket. ...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I know, the internet is really letting me down. I mean, you see review videos for pretty much everything before launch. I'm really surprised that there's nothing for the ion. People are seriously sleeping on this phone.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I think I'm going to go check it out at the AT&T store in the morning.
    erwaso likes this.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Android Central just under the wire with the review. Nice to see it's finally up.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Picked up the ion, there were only two in stock for launch day. The guy helping me out didn't even know if they had it in stock at first, even though there was a display model up. He thought it was interesting that I was asking for a Sony phone, but he realized why once he took it out of the box. It's a gorgeous phone, Sony did well.
    experiment 626 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    Picked up the ion, there were only two in stock for launch day. The guy helping me out didn't even know if they had it in stock at first, even though there was a display model up. He thought it was interesting that I was asking for a Sony phone, but he realized why once he took it out of the box. It's a gorgeous phone, Sony did well.
    Congrats! Were you able to compare the display to the one x or any other phone?

Is it speedy?

Can you see if it takes pics in low light or of moving objects well?

Thanks!

Still no reviews or unboxing videos on YouTube. Looks like it's up to you,Paul.

Phonedog has a 2 part review up if you don't mind not having a HD screen I would go with the skyrocket already messed around with it at at&t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    Congrats! Were you able to compare the display to the one x or any other phone?

Is it speedy?

Can you see if it takes pics in low light or of moving objects well?

Thanks!
    From what I saw, the display of the ion and the One X are very similar. It goes without saying that both are top of the line screens. It's speedier than I expected, actually. Everything runs super smooth and I haven't run into any hiccups yet. The fact that it's running on the S3 doesn't seem to hamper performance at all. As for the camera, the low light shots look pretty good. I don't take that many pictures, but it definitely does a better job in that department than my RAZR does. The physical camera button can be set up to take a picture just by pressing it, even when the screen is off. It's a pretty cool trick.
    Thanked by:
    erwaso 
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Still no reviews or unboxing videos on YouTube. Looks like it's up to you,Paul.
    Haha, I know right? There really hasn't been much on this phone out there, Android Central and Engadget put reviews up this morning right as the phone was launching. Oh, and there's nothing in the box but a charger, haha. I might end up getting a couple of the NFC tags, that might be fun.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Will1524 View Post
    Phonedog has a 2 part review up if you don't mind not having a HD screen I would go with the skyrocket already messed around with it at at&t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    The Ion performs on par with the Skyrocket (actually, better if you factor in it's pushing almost twice as many pixels on the screen), has a bigger battery, and there's a huge difference between WVGA and qHD - 720 blows the Skyrocket away.

I went yesterday to play with the Skyrocket cause I want to bring this buggy Vivid back, and now that this phone has released on AT&T for $50 less, I may have just found the right device to ditch this Vivid for... I'll be going play with it tomorrow.

Seriously, the WVGA on the Skyrocket's screen looks like crap. If I went to it straight from my Vibrant/HD7 I'd have been able to deal with it, but after looking at the Vivid's qHD screen for weeks WVGA is unacceptable.

My biggest issue with the Ion is that they say there is no Automatic Brightness setting for the screen. Really not something I want to have to adjust manually, TBH. Is that true?

And does it have WiFi Direct?

The UI looks very minimalist. I like it better than Sense or TW. They seem to get in the way less than those. A lot of that other stuff, you can add from the Play Store with apps (Vlingo Beta, Scalado Album, Dolphin or Opera Mobile, etc.).

My biggest hang-up is that their camera app looks bare as hell, especially for such a decent camera. How does a company that makes such good cameras develop such bad camera software for their device and make phones with such bad video capture - the latter of which may be the showstopper since I take exponentially more video than pictures with my phone (and use the camcorder daily).
    Last edited by n8ter; 06-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

From what I saw, the display of the ion and the One X are very similar. It goes without saying that both are top of the line screens. It's speedier than I expected, actually. Everything runs super smooth and I haven't run into any hiccups yet. The fact that it's running on the S3 doesn't seem to hamper performance at all. As for the camera, the low light shots look pretty good. I don't take that many pictures, but it definitely does a better job in that department than my RAZR does. The physical camera button can be set up to take a picture just by pressing it, even when the screen is off. It's a pretty cool trick.
    Is it a two stage physical shutter button, like on the Windows Phones. What does the video output look like on the device?

No burst shot option, HDR, etc. like on the HTC Vivid?

ALso, has AT&T locked the Google Talk Video Chat to WiFi online like they did the Vivid? Not sure if the Skyrocket is locked. NFC is unlocked and functional on it?
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Haha, I know right? There really hasn't been much on this phone out there, Android Central and Engadget put reviews up this morning right as the phone was launching. Oh, and there's nothing in the box but a charger, haha. I might end up getting a couple of the NFC tags, that might be fun.
    More like useful. Instead of toggling settings you can tap it before you walk out the door (or when you walk in) to toggle your WiFi On/Off and things like that. Yea, if I get the phone I'll be getting at least a few of them.

Amazon doesn't have the phone yet but best buy is $50 and SAMs club online is $40.

Reviews say its slow but are comparing it to S4 chips. Well of friggin course it's gonna be slower than the next step up. Faster than my htc aria haha. I dunno, but $40 compared to the $199 SIII or $120 HOX (SAMs) this is a steal. SgsII skyrocket is still $60 at cheapest.

Are the capacitive buttons really as unresponsive as reviewers are saying???
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast