Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 or Samsung Galaxy S Captivate?

bwv565

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Toronto (Canada) and Rogers has the Sony Ericsson X10 Xperia, and they're about to launch the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate in a couple of weeks.

I am in the market for my first Android device, and was wondering if someone here who owns the Xperia X10 would chime in with his/her opinion on a) the sound quality of phone calls, b) the quality of the hardware, c) speed of internet browsing and reliability of signal, d) included software, e) accessories and f) anything else.

If you have this phone and have also tried the Samsung, I'd love to know if you think I should skip the SE X10 and get the Samsung, or vice versa.

Thanks!

goldo1802

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
hey... so the Xperia X10 is a good cell phone (not great) the hard quality is awesome but the software is really bad.. sure is an android but sony made a software above the android (like Sense from htc or motor blur from motorola) that really makes the phone really bad... call quality is great and signal pretty good but the sorfware is gonna make you gonna cry... if I were you i would go with the galaxy or better with an HTC

bwv565

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
hey... so the Xperia X10 is a good cell phone (not great) the hard quality is awesome but the software is really bad.. sure is an android but sony made a software above the android (like Sense from htc or motor blur from motorola) that really makes the phone really bad... call quality is great and signal pretty good but the sorfware is gonna make you gonna cry... if I were you i would go with the galaxy or better with an HTC

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. I think the 1.6 OS that SE is shipping with the phone, and Rogers never giving any information about OS upgrades (or maybe it's SE that's holding back), I'm nervous about this phone. What if they never offer the upgrade? The Galaxy, AFAIK, ships with 2.1 from Rogers, but it's not yet available for me to get my hot little hands on to try it out. :)

Do you like Timescape/Mediascape? That feature is something that is drawing me towards the SE. You can see my dilemma! :)

I have posted the same question (in reverse, though) in the Captivate forum, and the responses there are also very interesting.

Thank you very much. Oh, how loud is the speakerphone? That's also a very important feature for me.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. I think the 1.6 OS that SE is shipping with the phone, and Rogers never giving any information about OS upgrades (or maybe it's SE that's holding back), I'm nervous about this phone. What if they never offer the upgrade? The Galaxy, AFAIK, ships with 2.1 from Rogers, but it's not yet available for me to get my hot little hands on to try it out. :)

Do you like Timescape/Mediascape? That feature is something that is drawing me towards the SE. You can see my dilemma! :)

I have posted the same question (in reverse, though) in the Captivate forum, and the responses there are also very interesting.

Thank you very much. Oh, how loud is the speakerphone? That's also a very important feature for me.

If that feature is the deciding factor, i would still go with the galaxy phone. Att has both of these phones in the states and i played with them, and the galaxy s phone blows se out of the water in every way. Better graphics, more memory, battery, touch screen and speed

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

wickm021

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I pose a similar question, i got the x10 about ten days ago with ATT because it was relativly close to the hardware specs of the captivate and 100 dollars cheaper(at the time of purchase) now i see you can get the captivate on ATT's website for free with 2 year agreement. I have 30 days to exchange the phone. Im debating making the switch to the captivate if i cant get if for the same price i paid or cheaper. With the 2.1 update for the x10 supposed to be out this week or next I'm tempted to wait and see how things look after that. What do you guys think? keep the x10 or move to the captivate? My brother just got the captivate last week too btw, and i got the chance to mess around with it a little bit. Seems to be a bit faster and have things organized differently which i sort of like. Also has the MT and will be getting 2.2 officially soon where as i hear SE will be leaving the x10 after the 2.1 update. What to do!?!?

chegarty

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I was in a similar situation when I was looking for an AT&T Android. X10 and Captivate are both on AT&T in the States and in terms of hardware, they are comparable. The difference is in the software. The X10 is getting 2.1, but I have a feeling that SE won't update it to 2.2. The Captivate is getting 2.2, and along with its Galaxy S brethren, will probably will get 2.3 (this is just my speculation, though). The Cappy also does wireless n networking, and I don't think the X10 does. This isn't terribly important, but it might be an issue moving forward.

Long story short, I picked the Captivate. Just make sure that you like your phones light. The Captivate is incredibly light for its size. Some people complain about the lack of a flash, but I've never found it to be a problem since I generally loathe flashes on smartphones. The flip side of the Captivate's relative lightness is that the X10 feels a bit more solid in comparison.

Before this turns into <3 Samsung Fest, I'd like to mention that the battery life on the Captivate is rather meh, but you'll still get a day out of it.

falconeight

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I love my x10. I am even ok with 1.6 donut. I think it has everything I need. Don't get me wrong I am excited about the upgrade but I think the screen looks great and the phone is amazing the samsung is boring.

bmatt1968

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the Captivate, my wife has the X10 (the better camera and lack of need for a toy were her deciding factors). I LOOOOVE my Captivate. I have only played around a bit with the X10, but I do NOT like timescape/mediascape - at all. I have done a bunch of alterations to my phone and moved to this side of the forum to see about getting rid of that stuff on hers.

The wife has commented on the heft of the X10 - she likes having bluetooth in the car because her arm gets tired of holding a brick to the side of her head.... ;)

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, they kinda look like they're all for Android. But the thing is, as things stand now, instead of getting the captivate, you could go for the Nexus S (if you're OK with leaving AT&T). And you most definitely would do well to avoid SE's Xperia X10. It has a good camera but apart from that, I see no benefit in it. It can't support proper multitouch and the updates Sony are pushing out are way behind other manufacturers and eons behind google's official OS releases. Which, from an Android point of view, I think, is bad.

etf724

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have the xperia, and my dad has the captivate, so i might be able to help you. I like the xperia, it has pretty good sound quality, a great camera, and i like the timescape app. In my opinion, the captivate is a little better, because the screen is great, its camera is almost as good and its updates come out before the x10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar