Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Downloading Swype BetA

Im kind of an android novice, but i was trying to download the beta version of swye for my xperia, and when i run the intaller it says: "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in the android market." How do i change this setting?
    (also-my phone still has 1.6 if that matters)

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by etf724 View Post
    Im kind of an android novice, but i was trying to download the beta version of swye for my xperia, and when i run the intaller it says: "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in the android market." How do i change this setting?
    ive never used an xperia, but try this

settings>applications>unknown sources, make sure it is checked
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,042 Global Posts

If you've got the AT&T version of the Xperia, you're either going to need to root, or use the Sideload Wonder Machine to bypass AT&T's stupid lockout.

But Swype's a little different, because first you download the installer, and then IT downloads the app. I haven't tried that on an AT&T device yet. Anybody else?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by etf724 View Post
    oh i didnt know xperia was AT&T, hey etf before you use the wonderful AC wonder machine,,,, try this just because ive heard it works, just to experiment.... put your phone in airplane mode, while its in airplane mode turn the wifi on and try to install the application i want to see if the rumors are true...if it doesnt work do what Phil said.
    Please let us know how you resolve this and please feel free to come back and ask for help if needed
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

You need to use the swype.apk beta, not the swype-install.apk, and use Sideload Wonder Machine. That worked for me on an AT&T X10. There is a direct link to download the swype beta here: Software2Tech.com Swype beta .apk

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    oh i didnt know xperia was AT&T, hey etf before you use the wonderful AC wonder machine,,,, try this just because ive heard it works, just to experiment.... put your phone in airplane mode, while its in airplane mode turn the wifi on and try to install the application i want to see if the rumors are true...if it doesnt work do what Phil said.
    Please let us know how you resolve this and please feel free to come back and ask for help if needed
    you cant put the phone in wifi mode if its in airplane.
    nothing can be checked! I thought that's what airplane mode stands for

Default Re: Downloading Swype BetA

Yes, you can put it in airplane mode and use wifi. I have my phone on it and wifi is up as I am typing this.

Default Re: Downloading Swype BetA

Even in Airplane mode and on wifi you will not be able to install any apps not in the andriod market. ATT has it blocked and unless you root the phone it's not happening anytime soon.